What cool tools will arborists be using 150 years from now...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will this do?
attachment.php

No. It needs to be about 130' tall, also that thing would be a little slow on the road...not to mention tough on lawns.

Been reading up on this. 1 person can lift 200 + lb blocks or ammo boxes repeaditly and no fatigue. Only issue is the power supply....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ4J69EEpu4&feature=player_embedded#

That unit is called the SARCOS manufactured by Raytheon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYWd2C3XVIk

I want 10 or 12 of them, just to play with. The ultimate goal is to be able to make the unit completely autonomous. The soldier operates the unit on the battlefield, gets to where he needs to go, steps out of the suit, and then the suit functions as a weapons platform, engaging whatever targets the soldier acquires... The only problem is... what happens if they go Terminator on us?!?!

As for the future of tree trimming and removals, I will be hovering in my UFO, beam a light down to cleanly and accurately sever a limb, send down a tractor beam, suck it up into the UFO, and when I'm full, blink into outer space, dump my load for free, and return to collect my check :)

T:givebeer:

No. It needs to be about 130' tall, also that thing would be a little slow on the road...not to mention tough on lawns.

Yeah, I'll just...ah, bring in a little topsoil and fix ya right up...lol

I would like to run one of those someday though.

Nanobots will munch the wood we want removed and poop sunshine.

+1

Take a photo, highlight what you want gone on the 'puter, send up a bunch of fist sized or smaller robots that send down twigs and sawdust. Vacuum hose to the back of the "chip" truck.

Don't ask what the robots do to cats in trees :greenchainsaw:

I've thought about this more on the agricultural side, and I do think you'll see a lot more robots coming into farming in the not-too-distant future, especially if they get hammered on tougher pesticide laws. Becomes a trade-off of operating costs v. capital investments.

Let automated tractors do the cultivation, go through organic vegetable fields using cameras to identify weeds and pest insects to pull out or crush, possibly even handle harvesting that don't ripen uniformly. When the batteries run low they park themselves in the charger automatically.

Last edited:
I Love this concept of nanobots and robot and computers and all that, I think it's awesome, but what happens when the robots are doing all the work? What do I do...? Supervise the robot? In cultivation situations, farming, etc doesn't that mean that fewer people are required to do the work...

I can see in the future that people will being exorbitant prices for "hand-picked" produce and "hand-harvested and produced" wines and liquors...

And what happens when we all have the same nanobots that perform the same functions to the same level of competence, and we lose a competitive edge? Johnny Landscape can now do the same jobs that I used to bid and win because he didnt have the knowledge, experience, or equipment to complete safely or efficiently...

Just hypothetical questions here.

I can take it, tear me apart :)

Well, 150 years from now there will be four billion illegal Mexicans in the US so about 700 of them will probably just jump on a tree like a bunch of termites and chew it down. Each one receiving fifty cents.

I Love this concept of nanobots and robot and computers and all that, I think it's awesome, but what happens when the robots are doing all the work? What do I do...? Supervise the robot? In cultivation situations, farming, etc doesn't that mean that fewer people are required to do the work...

I can see in the future that people will being exorbitant prices for "hand-picked" produce and "hand-harvested and produced" wines and liquors...

And what happens when we all have the same nanobots that perform the same functions to the same level of competence, and we lose a competitive edge? Johnny Landscape can now do the same jobs that I used to bid and win because he didnt have the knowledge, experience, or equipment to complete safely or efficiently...

Just hypothetical questions here.

I can take it, tear me apart :)

Dude, I'm pretty sure we'll be dead my then.

I think it's awesome, but what happens when the robots are doing all the work?

Sarcastic answer: Ask the UAW.

If you told them in 1950 that in fifty years Toyota would be building plants in Mississippi that built 150,000 cars/year and only employed 2,000 people to do that you would've been laughed out for at least the Toyota, Mississippi, and 2,000 workers parts and been incredulous about 150,000.

The more serious answer:

We adapt.

I've seen old photos of tree workers in the 1930s -- all handsaws, no chippers. Lots of workers since they had to stack the branches into trucks smaller then today's, and of course unload them by hand too.

We went from 35% of the population living and working on farms in 1900 to about 3% in 2000. When folks talk about a "Knowledge economy" it's largely because we may be facing a similar change with manufacturing today. It's an issue because we'll see increasing stratification between high paid "knowledge" jobs and low paid "service" jobs if things continue how they're going.

But we've seen radical changes in manpower needs and survived.

Today we're running tractors and harvestors with technology like GreenStar from John Deere that means the operator is largely just there to make sure the computers don't muck up. Otherwise it's all on auto pilot.

Even at the cutting edge of technology, jobs are changing. The F-22 Raptors will almost certainly be the apex of manned airplane design. Because they'll be replaced with unmanned fighters in 25 years -- you can design a lot more maneuverability, range, and endurance if you don't have a human to worry about, and the politicians don't have to worry about losing a life. Fighter jocks will sit behind desks.

The vision of many science fiction writers is being realized before our own eyes.

Going forward another century or two, you'll see a world population going down. History shows as populations industrialize, birthrates go down and life expectancies go up -- won't be that many more decades before 100 is new 80, and those folks who live to 115 today will be hitting 150. That will be some interesting economic waters to chart a course through -- retiring at 62 or 65 or 67 just ain't gonna cut it.

And it's a good and legitimate question to ask about what happens to today's workers as robots increasingly take over manual work.

I can imagine what tree guys thought when they saw lightweight chainsaws and chippers come out too -- some I'm sure thought "Neato!" and others I'm sure saw it as a threat to their livelihood.

Trees will be bio-programmed to grow exactly as the customer wants. They will be self pruning and any dead branches will automatically fast decompose as will the entire tree should it die. Arborists of the future will be bio-engineers customizing trees for color, texture and smell. Maybe making the bark taste like bacon on one side and chocolate chip cookies on the other. And of course, every self respecting arborist will have his own customized Beer Plant growing right next to his floating massage chair.

Trees will be bio-programmed to grow exactly as the customer wants. They will be self pruning and any dead branches will automatically fast decompose as will the entire tree should it die. Arborists of the future will be bio-engineers customizing trees for color, texture and smell. Maybe making the bark taste like bacon on one side and chocolate chip cookies on the other. And of course, every self respecting arborist will have his own customized Beer Plant growing right next to his floating massage chair.

Amen brother.

What happens when the robots do all of the work?

The economy started like a ball game, and it can end like a ball game. Seriously. It started out of the blue, and it can go back with the blue. I don't know if it really is that simple, but the economy is based on humane compensation for services rendered or there are detrimental consequences. If all the services are handled, there is nothing inhumane about nonrenderance of compensation for the services that no person is doing.

If things just keep going this way, the culture is going to change hugely. It's a work culture now, so the common mentality is of a workers' nature. When working is a rarity and an extraordinary thing like mountain climbing and sky diving, it's more than likely to become a learning world. No work, so just make yourself better and smarter or be left out as some numbskull. "Ouch." The culture will be so much more advanced in intelect that even small children will possess more knowledge than our ordinary guys that ran saws and brush before the introduction of chain saws.

The lines are drawn according to the reality that we have to do our work, or we all will suffer consequences, so just know your job, and you can say screw all the facts. Truth or not I can get paid if I can do my job.

When robots do all the work, where is the risk of suffering from starvation and so on? It would then become a "screw the job and learn all of the facts" kind of world. If I don't know my facts, I'm considered a jalopy in that kind of world. Pure shame like that of being jobless.

Just scratching my head this morning.:monkey:

I don't know guys.
Around here we are seeing a huge shift back to a much simpler economy. Several people I know have cancelled cable and are spending their free time doing other things. One guy took up precision casting small metal parts in his garage. Another one put in a huge garden in his back yard and sold produce over the summer; this fall he is making children’s Christmas toys.
As for tree work, fewer people are hiring a company and are either doing it themselves or having a friend help them. Often this is somebody that has some simple gear and no formal training or professional experience. This moving away from specialization will slow the implementation of advancing technology.
This downturn has sure dumped a lot of things on their heads. If you take all the environmental laws and restrictions on who can own what were and when, it sure puts the brakes on advancing technology.

Mr. HE:cool:

MEh...in 150 years at the rate we are going now, there won't be any trees.

I read somewhere that in the 1800's you could take a wagon from New York to the Rockies without ever having to cut down a tree to make passage, and that the amount of forest in the US has increased 400 percent in the last 200 years...

I can't remember the source, and I am not sure of the validity.

Anyone wanna clear this up for me?

T

You're probably right Blackened.

Ohio is where the oak openings became pretty much a continuous oak savannah where the trees were thin enough there was a permanent grass ground cover.

That was a combination of Indians, fire, and bison.

As you moved further west into drier states, fires could keep the prarie as open grass lands.

As you moved further east into wetter states like New York and New England there was still a lot of oak openings, but they weren't continuous enough to be called savannah. Here the Indian's seasonal fires wouldn't burn long enough to maintain a contiguous grassland.

Deer loved the grasslands. And it's a heck of a lot easier to hunt deer with bows and arrow when you're walking on grass and not dry leaves!

I'm a lot more familiar with southern New England's forests then elsewhere, but our forests of today are not the forests my mom & dad grew up with in the 30s and 40s. And the forests they knew where not the forests the first settlers to town knew in the 1730s and 1740s when they were clearing land for farms. And those forests weren't the ones the Indians would've known in the 1530s before European diseases decimated their populations.

The first Europeans surveying this area in the early 1600s commented on how open the forests were. With the collapse of Indian populations and the absence of their fires, by 1700 settlers talked instead of dark, thick forests due to all the brush and young trees that grew up in the preceding century.

The settlers changed the forest once again by their widespread clear cutting for farms, and a system of rotating fields -- once pasture declined, the cows would be moved and the old field would lay fallow for 20, 30 years until most of the trees were 4" in diameter. They would then clear that woodlot and turn it back to pasture.

Where there was the oldest farm abandonment you had forest re-grow, and around 1900 clear cutting was the typical practice for commercial timber, particularly some fine white pine stands that were 60 to 100 years old. They had portable steam saw mills but no trucks, so you hauled the mill to a new area and clear cut everything within a reasonable reach. Then the hardwood sections of these forests were hit hard by Chestnut blight. Then the Hurricane of '38 devastated all the woodlands, most of all the white pine forests. Forest fires around 1900 consumed about 3% of Connecticut's acreage per year, and remained a significant threat into the 1950s.

Today's forests in my area largely lack fire, they lack clear cutting every few decades. They generally contain the greatest mix of ages of trees and the thickest density of woodlands seen since the glaciers retreated.

You'll be sitting behind a moniter making sure the green lights dont turn to red.. when they turn red then you hit the "home" button and the machine will goto the shop were you will schedule a tech repair to be done. The machine would be back out of the repair bay in 1 hour.. Of course you only have to lift a finger because you cant walk because we all get lazy and fat and have to have our personal life support systems and hover chairs to move or fat ass's around....to prevent cardiac arrest

Latest posts

Back