What do I do with this Osage Orange limbwood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kuhn

Hobby Repairman
Reaction score
I've ordered some Titebond wood glue to seal up the ends, but beyond that, I don't have a clue as to how to sell these, what they might be worth, etc. Thanks for any help.

1594348145750.png

The story behind it is we've lived with a line of Hedge Apple trees behind our house for 25 years and never trimmed the limbs except to be able to mow under them without getting whacked in the head. With the Township coming by the first Monday of these 3 summer months for free pickup of limbs, we decided to cut limbs as they had grown about half way to the house and were killing the grass and edge plants my wife likes to plant. So I fixed up a Mac 10-10 a neighbor gave me and my son climbed a borrowed ladder and we very selectively cut the 3 main limbs. The finer stuff went to the curb and the heavier is sitting on our back porch in the heat. Well it ended up being more like 6 or 7 limbs, but there's plenty of top growth left for the trees to survive. We know this wood is rated as very hard and have seen it on line being sold by the piece. Seems we have too much to do that, but maybe we should. It's so heavy I can't imagine the shipping costs.

First - please NEVER use a chainsaw on a ladder. Lots of videos on youtube of people getting severely injured when a branch came back at them and knocked them off or hit and broke their leg or pinned them in the tree. I'm glad no one was injured. Hedge makes great fence posts and rails. Also good for wood turning, tool handles, and of course, great firewood but it does tend to pop due to the oils in it. It was used for archery bows in the past. Perhaps someone may be interested in it for that. I had some milled a few years ago. It doesn't get much lighter and stays hard.

Thanks for the note of caution. He used the ladder to get up in the tree and cut from there. Extreme caution was used at all times.

I'm wondering if I can find a woodworking forum to sell these on. It's an idea.

Back