What do you think about this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I dropped an enormous cottonwood trunk with a similar "enclosed bark" split trunk. It also fell into separate pieces when it came down. Very large, very heavy! There was little doubt as to whether it should have been taken out.
I had a similar Ash tree that had three trunks like this one, all joined about 4' up, when it came down I was left with the three trunks approx 12' tall when I dropped that it split where the trunks joined each other through rot that was not detectable before hand, where it stood if that would have split through wind etc as we have had recently it would have caused all sorts of damage. Having the three trunks I think would have acted like more of a catch for rain water than this one.

Both of you fellows are lucky that the trunks didn't divide during the process of making the felling cuts. Especially if pulling forces were being applied.

I've had the same thing happen and I've been lucky like that too.

Both of you fellows are lucky that the trunks didn't divide during the process of making the felling cuts. Especially if pulling forces were being applied.

There was no luck involved. We chained them together, then pulled it all over from the opposite side of the tree. Chain was removed prior to pulling it over so as to not break the chain.

Part not mentioned: my chainsaw cut wasn't that much lower than the enclosed bark. We kinda left a tall stump, on account of that was a lot more wood to cut. :rolleyes:

There was no luck involved. We chained them together, then pulled it all over from the opposite side of the tree. Chain was removed prior to pulling it over so as to not break the chain.

Part not mentioned: my chainsaw cut wasn't that much lower than the enclosed bark. We kinda left a tall stump, on account of that was a lot more wood to cut. :rolleyes:

Lucky you didn't get into tramp metal. :)

I didn't drop it in one go, I did each trunk separately (Climbed) then dropped the then 6' triple trunk.

I didn't drop it in one go, I did each trunk separately (Climbed) then dropped the triple trunk.

I would remove it.

It's a fact that two trees growing like that are more likely to split. I would advise the homeowner to not depend on a "judgement" call of the arborist and remove altogether.

Use fear based marketing lol. That stuff works like a charm(look at CHYNA and North Korea with the US military). And don't feel bad about because removal of the tree would be safer!

or

If they really like the tree, you can cable it and make reduction cuts on the ends to take weight off. I would use a crane though. I would not climb that thing.

Back