what happened to Stihl????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Always being a Stihl sort of fellow (except for my 372) I went into the saw shop yesterday to buy an 036, and what did I see instead! Some other #, ms 360? The whole thing is plastic! The handlebar is even plastic! WTH. How much does that cost to replace? Can't hammer it back if bent. Husqvarna might be selling at Lowe's, but at least their saws are getting better every day! I guess I'll keep the Stihl's I have and buy Husky's from now on. It makes me wonder if Stihl has actually talked to or seen, or even thought about the people that will use their products. Out of touch? Shall we run a poll on Husky converts?

stihl hasnt really brought out anything really great for a while and husky is really zooming right now with a great range of models

346xp - arguably the best light saw
372xp - a great all purpose medium size saw
385xp - a great felling saw

the only thing that is missing is a replacement for the venerable 3120 that seems like its very close to getting a follower - its old technology now - its only other husky brother the 288xp was axed recently so its the only one left without air injection for example.

for the big saws its hard to beat the 088 - but its coming fellas...i just listed the 3 saws above and they are all pretty new and kick the equivalent stihls to the ground. im eager to see if the 3120xp replacement will do the same to the 088.

(dont you all get worked up again):blob2:

Not only that but Husky has embraced the internet and mass merchant distribution model. (ie Lowes). Stihl's marketing is stuck in the stone ages.

Originally posted by tundraotto
stihl hasnt really brought out anything really great for a while and husky is really zooming right now with a great range of models

346xp - arguably the best light saw
372xp - a great all purpose medium size saw
385xp - a great felling saw

the only thing that is missing is a replacement for the venerable 3120 that seems like its very close to getting a follower - its old technology now - its only other husky brother the 288xp was axed recently so its the only one left without air injection for example.

for the big saws its hard to beat the 088 - but its coming fellas...i just listed the 3 saws above and they are all pretty new and kick the equivalent stihls to the ground. im eager to see if the 3120xp replacement will do the same to the 088.

(dont you all get worked up again):blob2:

jeeze even the walmart special mccullochs have metal handels. there was a good reason why i didn't get mixed up in the likes of stihls.

I had to lower my head in shame when I heard Stihl was changing their number designation for their saws. I think everyone will agree that an 036 sounds better then a 360 ( no offense to Homelite lovers). Blame it on Stihl's marketing team and the pencil pushers. :(

Stihl still out sells Husq in droves. Stihl as a company does a larger volume than Toro or John Deere. Husq does not have the dealer network Stihl does.

Stihl enjoyed a 23% growth this year while everyone else was staggnant. That is the reason for Lowes. Husq is under pressure from daddy i.e. electrolux to turn a profit for the money they invested. Could this be why Husq did this at the end of the year? To make 2001 numbers look good with some last min shipments to Lowes? Hmmmmm. Stihl is good product with excellent support nationwide. Husq is good product with mediocre support nationwide. We will see if Husq can turn a profit in the mass merchants...no other two cycle really has. It does not worry us because the relationships we have built with our customers will keep us in business. People will buy from who they trust. That....is why Stihl is successful, their dealers trust them, customers trust dealers. None of us trusts Husq.

husky fan

The shop where I work recently aquired the Stihl line of products, we use to be a Husky only dealer. I know first hand that the Huskys are gitting lighter, stronger and easer to service. On the other hand the only big thing out of Stihl in the last couple of years is the new tank caps and the new MS #'s. As far as Stihl eguipment , I like the product but if they don't get off there butts, there going to be left behind. I was told that the only reason they weren't in a "BIG BOX STORE" was because of service, but it looks like no one else has a problem with that. If Stihl dies off it's there on fault...

Thats my two cents worth, so let me get off my box and let someone else have a turn!

Stihl for the most part isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In the mid 90's we sold both Stihl and Husky saws, trimmers, backpacks, etc. We would always sell more Stihl then Husky. I think the reason we sold more Stihl's was because of the dealer support network that they offered. Stihl would run special mailing campaigns, and follow up mailings to our customers that previously purchased Stihl products. Because of this most of our happy homeowners owned at least 2 Stihl products per household. Husky was a good seller to, but it was always a fight to get some backing from them, and after awhile we started slimming down on the Husky orders until we stopped carrying them all together in 1998 when we installed a Stihl store display.
I hope Electrolux doesn't get to hasty.

Manufacturers need to serve the markets where consumers want to buy or they'll be doomed. Pro's will buy from "Joe's Chain Saw Shop" shop but consumers generally won't. Consumers want to buy from the Internet and mass merchants. (it's the most basic concept of channel marketing to go to where the consumers prefer to shop vs. trying to make them come to you because they won't). If Stihl want's to serve the Pro market only it's their choice, but they'll loose the consumer market unless they embrace the internet and mass merchants. (might not be a bad move for Stihl to dump their junk consumer saws like 021, 025, 029!!!) Stihl is also too stupid to realize that sales tax savings is a major motivater for internet sales. Stihl is already at a 10% price dissadvantage and the internet amplifies it even more.

I agree that Stihl has an excellent service network, but their parts distribution is very weak because once again they've elected to ignore the internet. If I need a minor part, i want to order it online vs. hunt it down at "Joes Saw Shop" who'll most likely have to special order it. (2 trips) Stihl won't even let you order a part across state lines!!!

If Stihl is banking on their old fashioned dealer model to carry them well into this century than I'm affraid they'll fail. I'd put my money on Husky, yet I've always had a soft spot for Stihl's saws. (at least the pro saws)

What were Stihl's revenues in '01? I really doubt that they were larger than Deere.

Originally posted by BIG CICERO
Stihl still out sells Husq in droves. Stihl as a company does a larger volume than Toro or John Deere. Husq does not have the dealer network Stihl does.

Stihl enjoyed a 23% growth this year while everyone else was staggnant. That is the reason for Lowes. Husq is under pressure from daddy i.e. electrolux to turn a profit for the money they invested. Could this be why Husq did this at the end of the year? To make 2001 numbers look good with some last min shipments to Lowes? Hmmmmm. Stihl is good product with excellent support nationwide. Husq is good product with mediocre support nationwide. We will see if Husq can turn a profit in the mass merchants...no other two cycle really has. It does not worry us because the relationships we have built with our customers will keep us in business. People will buy from who they trust. That....is why Stihl is successful, their dealers trust them, customers trust dealers. None of us trusts Husq.

plastic ? husky has more plastic. look at the rewind.
who had what first?
side chain adj? stihl
master control switch? stihl
inbord clutch? stihl
life time ign warranty? stihl
and more
air injection? husky (got it from a vaccumcleaner)
spring mounts? husky

seems like husky is just catching up.

we sell both, neither one is perfect. both are good. sell about the same of each.

as for the box stores, i feel it's a bad idea. don't forget what hapened to homlite and others.

what gets me is when a guy ,driving a 30,000 dollar truck, comes in the shop and asks, how mutch for a 20" chainsaw? i ask how big the wood is he plans to cut. he says 24". i show him a 372xp or ms440. his reply is, what i can get one at (box store) for $189.95,

is that realy what husky wants?

husky offers a 14 day satisfaction guarantee.
you can buy a saw, do what you need to do and take it back. doesn't cost you a thing. sure beets rentails.

is this a good thing?

what about buying saws on the net?
lowest bidder gets the sale.
how long before there's only one dealer?
buy factory direct and save even more.
no dealers, who's going to fix them?(think about homlite)
maybe the handy man with the hamer and pliers.

just a few things to think about.

i still feel good service is worth something.

later scott

"Stihl is good product with excellent support nationwide. Husq is good product with mediocre support nationwide."

Well I cant speak for nationwide, but I can speak for British Columbia, where we might go through one or two saws a year...Husqvarna has excellent support as does Stihl...as a sales rep on the road everyday..I had found that Husky outsold Stihl..(here)...Our dealer network for Husky, Stihl, and even Jonsered is probably close to the best one can find...ie: a knowledgeable dealer in every town....no matter what the size..

But lets be realistic here...how long do you really think..(Yep Walt, I said this before..;))..do you think Stihl will sit back and let Husqvarna take over the 50cc and under consumer market?? Because they are going to sell alot of units...no questions...whether or not it is good for the dealer is not an issue with them...I dont personally agree with it..but...They (Stihl) are going to look at Huskys numbers in a year or two and say....WHAT ARE WE DOING???!!...or is that aren't doing?

Its not ignition modules, octane ratings, or rocket science..people..its the year 2002 and marketing!!

Stihl owns a mower and tractor company the they sell in Europe and abroad called Viking. So it is not just hand held revenue.

Our shop was a Husq only dealer and we took on Stihl 4 years ago...smartest thing we did. We still sell Husq as well as others however, we have a further committment to Stihl because the do support their dealer and they have a complete strong product line with excellent technical and part support. The internet is not how people want to shop. Some people yes but most no. Sales tax is a consideration for now, government will eventually get their hands on that. Husq went into Lowes out of desperation period. You have 3 dealers who it sounds like has limited their orders on Husky equipment...who has dropped Stihl? Many people on this forum know what they want, the vast majority of consumers could not tell you the first thing about a saw. The salesperson must sell him the right saw. The internet will tell a customer how heavy it is, but he cant feel that.

Incidently, the o25 is Stihls most popular saw in the Intermountain region. Doubt it will go anywhere soon, o29 is not far behind.

For the fellow who does not want to make a extra trip to order a part why not call that guy and have him ship you the part you want. Simple. He might have a website that you con e-mail an order to him, or fax.

"Stihl owns a mower and tractor company the they sell in Europe and abroad called Viking. So it is not just hand held revenue. "

I forgot all Electrolux does is Husqvarna....my bad

Our dealers here (all 3 co's) have great parts, technical, and company support. None of the big 3 here have gone to box stores, yet...cant say they wont....and i know of lots of dealers that havent been able to meet Stihls idea of a dealer and have dropped them...as well as I know of dealers who have dropped Husky because of the same thing...

I honestly think we are going off the issue here...in my mind...( I live inmy own little world, but I am known here)....The issue we are looking at boils down to making the $...who can do it the best...Stihl says we stay with the pro shops..keep that clientele..husky says..go with the box..(and the net)...make lots of money fast...and get the name out there...where it is going to end..its hard to say...but how many people..and think about this for a second............

..keep thinking........

how many people said the world would not be run on credit?(plastic)?....look where we are heading...its a changing world...and maybe...or maybe not...Stihl is doing the right thing...only time will tell...

Intermountain region..?? where is that? I know myself..being in a logging community...hardly sell a saw under 60cc...I must admit exception to the 346..have seen that go out the door alot...

LOL...maybe we are arguing the same points here under different understandings...but its fun:)

Husky vs Stihl

In the stores here, overall Husky is doing a better merchanding presentation. I have seen a lot of small shops who have bought the initial jag of Stihls and then let their stock get down to nothing.

I talked to one dealer who had lost enthusiasm for Stihl for two reasons; He says they came back and wanted to load him up with too much stock (real small town dealer), and then he felt their prices were too high for him to sell volume.

If husky is behind Stihl in sales, they must be catching up by leaps and bounds.

I see Stihl dealers quiting Stihl, and see a new Husky dealer now and then.

Many people are looking at brands out of the main stream. They want something different. If there were blue chainsaws, they would buy them, just to be different. If someone made a four cycle chainsaw, a certian number of people would buy them, just to be different.

ive only used one husky and it cut real good. i cut my teeth on stihl saws. its probably not the way to make the most money,but i wish they would just leave a good piece of equipment alone.
quit messing up a good thing. just think where homelite would be now if their decision makers had of looked hard at new ideas ,an held on to proven product.i still think its got to do with dads letting their kids take over the company in some of these situations. i got 5 kids . just one would be capable of running a buisiness ,at this time. he still wouldnt be my choice as my soninlaw thinks everything thru better than i do now.smart man.just mine,later now

We must keep this in mind, not everyone goes to Lowes, Sears or Homedept to buy power equipment. Most of our customers learn the hard way and it is this learning curve that keeps the servicing dealer in business. 90% of our customers ended up at our doorstep with a broken saw, mower,or whatever which they purchased from a big box store. By the time it makes it to us its destroyed and the customer wants to upgrade to a real piece of equipment. My point is, Big box stores have their place, I don't agree with their practices and return policies, but they give the servicing dealer that edge. Once a customer learns that you can actually fix what they broke, it changes everything. Service sells, not the guy with the orange apron and the name tag.

14 day return policy?

Somewhere I read there would be a 14 day "return" policy on these saws. Is this correct? I'm not the brightest person in the world, but I can see where that's going! You'll have to kick a hole through all the ORANGE in the back rooms of Sears, Lowe's and the likes. What will Husky do if everyone thinks like this.........?

1200 bf/day x 13.5 days = shady sawyers at there local box store with a half a days worth of driving for overhead!

That's about how much I can mill a day, and I had to put out $900.00 for my 088. $#*! I should've waited! Ha Ha.....

I think I will stick with my STIHLS, (all 3) and if I have to buy another saw, I know I wont take the chance of a Husky that someone abused for 13.5 days only to return it. Cause you all know, alot of those saws are gonna get wiped down and put back on the shelf. JMHFO! FLATFILER:angry:

Back