What happened to this saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking it was more the cylinder construction/ manufacturer- the last photo shows where I scratched the nikasil with a screw driver and it scratched off like cheap chrome plating on plastic toys. I will still be replacing the seals and doing a leakdown test for sure because I split the case.
I definitely am with you on OEM parts, you either pay 1 time up front or double later with your time AND money
the nikasil will flake off if it get hot, the underlying aluminum melts, which could be from garbage base metal, anyway, most of the chinesium saw either come apart shedding retaining rings or piston rings, or simply wont run for a lack of compression, if you do find one that works, they tend to last at least a little while.

Personally, I would use the circlips that came with the piston kit. These clips have the correct diameter wire for the width of the seat cut into the piston boss. Now... if kit clips have "ears", then yes cut them off but not too short! LOL. Even the OEM Stihl clips may just be off enough to not seat fully into the aftermarket piston.

Same goes for if you use an OEM Stihl kit. I would use the Stihl clips. They were made specifically for those dimensions.

Just my $0.02 on that subject. YMMV

Personally, I would use the circlips that came with the piston kit. These clips have the correct diameter wire for the width of the seat cut into the piston boss. Now... if kit clips have "ears", then yes cut them off but not too short! LOL. Even the OEM Stihl clips may just be off enough to not seat fully into the aftermarket piston.

Same goes for if you use an OEM Stihl kit. I would use the Stihl clips. They were made specifically for those dimensions.

That was a problem years ago where the pin could slide over the clip with the clips that came with the kit.
Haven't heard anything about that in years.
There is a lot wrong with those aftermarket clips besides the tabs. They have nothing like the spring memory of the OEM material.
As far as fitting in the groove, you can tell by looking at them once they are installed.

That's what I do, cut the ears off. Haven't had a problem since doing that.

Talking about ears on piston circlips, I receieved a meteor piston for my 660 build in the mail yesterday and was kind of suprised. I had never seen this style of clips before and the piston was very..... sharp as I'd put it. Like no one had gone through it after machining and cleaned up the burrs/ sharp edges that could easily catch a surface/ port. I'll definitely be going through and cleaning it up with a carbide bit and polishing bit.

Attachments

• 20211221_071933.jpg
    20211221_071933.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 20211221_072005.jpg
    20211221_072005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Talking about ears on piston circlips, I receieved a meteor piston for my 660 build in the mail yesterday and was kind of suprised. I had never seen this style of clips before and the piston was very..... sharp as I'd put it. Like no one had gone through it after machining and cleaned up the burrs/ sharp edges that could easily catch a surface/ port. I'll definitely be going through and cleaning it up with a carbide bit and polishing bit.
Have seen those clips, have been wondering if they work.

Those type of retaining rings are used in 4 stroke B&S, Tecumseh, Clinton and possibly Kawasaki engines for decades. While the 4 stroke engines don't turn the revs that a chainsaw does, I've never had one come loose.

One thing to look for is to see if the rings are flat. The two 'ears' that you grab with the installation tool, or needle nose pliers MAY not be parallel with the rest of the ring. Easy test. Lay the rings on a flat surface. Do they lay flat? If so, turn them over. If they still lay flat, you can install them either side out. If one side has the ears protruding, that side is installed AWAY from the piston pin.

A buddy of mine has had 2 saws he rebuilt come back lately with scrapped top ends because of Hyway clips popping out. Ears were not cut. Do you guys cut both or just one ear? I thankfully have been reusing the old OEM clips from the OEM pistons being replaced and no issues, but I do worry if OEM clips are not perfect fit in the Hyway piston slots. Hyway clips I have been collecting. Any pictures of your cut clips? Just so I don’t over do it or don’t cut enough off.

A buddy of mine has had 2 saws he rebuilt come back lately with scrapped top ends because of Hyway clips popping out. Ears were not cut. Do you guys cut both or just one ear? I thankfully have been reusing the old OEM clips from the OEM pistons being replaced and no issues, but I do worry if OEM clips are not perfect fit in the Hyway piston slots. Hyway clips I have been collecting. Any pictures of your cut clips? Just so I don’t over do it or don’t cut enough off.
The chinese clips I use have only one ear, it's that what I cut off. Those two ear types you don't cut or at least that's what I assume.

The chinese clips I use have only one ear, it's that what I cut off. Those two ear types you don't cut or at least that's what I assume.
Its the 2 ear type from Hyway. 2 Stihl 038 top ends scrapped in less then a tank of gas burned after rebuild.

A 440 is worth using good parts on. It’s OK to save some money on non mechanical parts like pleated air filters, plastic covers, mufflers… things that don’t have moving parts in or around them,
My time is too valuable to mess around with Chinese junk. If your going to put the time in repairing a worn out saw rebuild the whole damn thing with oem engine parts. Crank, seals, bearings cylinder and piston.
As Kevin says mufflers, plastics and other non critical stuff really don't matter other than I hate supporting those thieving, disease spreading communist bastards.

Latest posts

Back