What has 50 years given us? ( In saw design )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2in1s are yucky man they butcher a would be nice chain.

Put half a tank through my mates 390 yesterday while he ran my sp81. The 81 could be lighter than the husky and with the 24s buried their is not alot in it. The husky sure has more rpm but when they are both balls deep that advantage gets pretty slim and I bet with chain tuned just right could probably out cut it even 8cc down. The old 81 can pull a more aggressive cutter can pull a bigger chip and maybe a bigger rim is what it needs.

The 390 is sure a monster though I like it alot. Especially that down the road is a parts dealer.

1 thing I don't like or perhaps not used to is the handle bar shape n location I prefer the straight bar of the Mac also underneath a log the chain brake squashes ya hand the Mac brake stops just shy of ya hand

The thing is its about rakers and chain speed with a little operator pressure modulation mixed in. If I can generate the same chain speed all things being equal buy going up a tooth on a sprocket to utilize the lower rpms of say a 288, you aren't loosing anything to a saw with a 7 spinning more RPM's.... assuming cut speed is the definition of win.

The thing is its about rakers and chain speed with a little operator pressure modulation mixed in. If I can generate the same chain speed all things being equal buy going up a tooth on a sprocket to utilize the lower rpms of say a 288, you aren't loosing anything to a saw with a 7 spinning more RPM's.... assuming cut speed is the definition of win.

Exactly and more rpm on most engines don't last as long.

All of the lumber that was timbered by 1990 was was done with relics unless I missed something about time travel, and all the old relics that are still running came from that period.
New is just for arm chair quarterbacks who like plastic and bragging about how much money they spend.

All of the lumber that was timbered by 1990 was was done with relics unless I missed something about time travel, and all the old relics that are still running came from that period.
New is just for arm chair quarterbacks who like plastic and bragging about how much money they spend.

Different country, different situations.
Most our exotic forest was only being planted in the 1960's onward- true the native was dropped with relics- needed the long bars and slow torquey saws, but a hell of a lot more exotic stems have been knocked over since with mag & plastic saws.
Most modern examples I own personally all were "new" in the 1990's at the youngest- except the 2159, it sneaks into this century. Most saws I own and run were rebuilt wrecks, rekindled to live another few decades and see me out- original purchase prices added together would not buy one 500i at our current retail. No bragging rites here, just honest saws that do an honest job and I have orange ones, grey & orange ones, red ones.......

The original post was what has the last 50 years offered us in development- not what was best back then.

I like to brag about how much money I don't spend, but that that's just me.

Hahaha yeah they ring with only muffs. They are crazy loud and to think those boys wore nothing wow.

Better fuel economy.
Lightweight bars.

Has chain improved??

I guess bar oil in general probably after thinking about it
Not really on the bar oil. When I started working for my Dad in 72-73 we never heard of "Bar Oil". We went down to K-Mart and bought cases of the cheapest 10W30 that was on sale. All of our saws still had manual oilers. I still have a dozen or more of those bars that put in 20 plus years of commercial service and they are still 100% serviceable. This Homelite is the oldest of my Dad's saws that I still have and it was the first saw I used all day when I started working for him. He bought it with a 36" and a 24 " bar. I got this Bar from Greg and I'm putting half inch chain on it just for fun.
scejAEd.jpg

What have we gained in the last 50 years, handles with springs or rubber, feedback carburetors, and now fuel injection. Meanwhile the 070 is still in production and still king of the jungle while removing it.

None of them...Homelite, mac, stihl, husky...all peeled. Homelite wasnt terrible

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I don't know if I agree with that. I have about 70 saws, most from commercial use, and most still have pretty respectable paint on them. Most I use brake clean to clean up when I get them and the paint holds up to that. Except the first pioneer700 I got. The brake clean ate it up pretty bad.
Wt6HR0V.jpg

Pop culture is about peer pressure to sell things.. Kind of like all the hype to sell ported saw to cookie cutters...:) Have to have recognizable letters to be cool. Me? I respect the guy who can build or get an old saw running a lot more than the one who has to write a check to get that to happen. Just me. I'll respect the guy who can rebuild with mods his own 044 or 372 to be stronger than the $1000 dollar OEM, and a LOT more than the dude who has to spend another $400 on top of the $1000 to match the old tweaked 372 or 044 :) Just love the "experts" who have multiple letter saws but never build one for themselves....are experts because of all the cool saws they bought? )

AND BTW a "diy" built OE 372, 365, 044, 046 is going to cost half a new saw and run just as strong done with some basic skills. For me saw interests are in constant flux. Right now I'm having fun with my L77 and 48mm 365 builds.

I stirred the pot on this a little bit, my apologies, but I was informed we'd have flying cars by now!
Creature comforts and idiot proofing aside 40yr old and 1 day old saws still use bars, chains, and oil to cut wood .
Brag all you want but I'd like to see a light saber!

I stirred the pot on this a little bit, my apologies, but I was informed we'd have flying cars by now!
Creature comforts and idiot proofing aside 40yr old and 1 day old saws still use bars, chains, and oil to cut wood .
Brag all you want but I'd like to see a light saber!
Get yerself a 350 husky thats not totally clapped out and put an OEM 346 top end on it. It'll put a silly smile on yer face thats hard wipe off!

Get yerself a 350 husky thats not totally clapped out and put an OEM 346 top end on it. It'll put a silly smile on yer face thats hard wipe off!

I do miss my 350. Never had the 346 but base delete and muffler mod it went hard. It was the oe version.

Kinda funny to use the equivalent stihl homeowner of the day.

Or... ****...just slap a 353 piston in it and get it to cut like it was designed to....pretty good upgrade for even lower $$$....

Back