What is my truck worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NebClimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a bucket truck and wonder what it is really worth:

1994 International 4700 4x2, manual transmission, diesel, DT-408 engine 210 hp, Spicer ES62-5A transmission, 12000 lb front axle, 21000 lb Spicer M210-T 4:89 rear axle, 52000 miles, 11000 hours, with the following aerial device:

Altec AN650, 46 KV Cat B rated, 56' working height, two man end hung bucket, MO-LO 108 fiberglass service body. This truck does NOT go overcenter.

The boom has passed recent stress inspection and di-electric test.

Truck has been perfectly maintained with full service records and is in like-new condition.

What is it worth? Aside from this site and perhaps TreeTrader, where should I try to sell it?

Steven

Last edited:
Wow. Sounds similar to (but nicer than) mine. Look at www.sagontrucks.com for realistic price comparisons. I'd guess in the $30K-$40K range. If the boom is over center then it's worth more than a non over center.

Best prices will be had by selling in the busiest season, late spring and summer.

Obviously I would like to sell it for MORE than what I paid. I have not yet put the truck in service, and it is surplus to me. But when the truck in question became available from a distressed seller I bought at a discount. Now I want to sell. But I don't have a good sense of the true value.

Steven

This is a tough crowd to get a straight answer from (except for Skwerl who was kind enough to venture a guess).

I know I bought at a discount because I am generally familiar with the range of prices for similar trucks, and I have already had casual offers well over my purchase price. However, I have not been able to find another Altec AN650 listed for sale on the internet or from other sources. So I don't know what price adjustments to make for this particular make/year of aerial device and chassis.

Anybody have a well grounded idea on price?

Steven

My father always told me that an item is only worth what somebody is willing to pay me for it. I could have a 150 year old silver dollar with a 'book value' of $135,000. But without a buyer to hand me a fat stack of green ones, it's not worth anything.

Sounds like you have a ballpark idea. If you feel like sitting on it until you maximize your profit, then list it high and wait for offers. Another truck with identical boom and identical chassis may not have the same value, based on condition and wear. Keep in mind that financing a vehicle over 10 years old can be a daunting task. Any buyer will most likely need to come up with cash money. I refinanced my house to buy mine. So consider that potential buyers are few and far between.

Latest posts

Back