What is salvageable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run a small engine hone through to deglaze it. I would be much more interested in the condition of bottom end, piston and rings. In the commercial world, that is not a bad cylinder from those pictures.

On the cylinder, as long as the plating is good above the exhaust port then you can re-use it. The best thing to remove aluminum from the bore is muratic acid. You can buy a small bottle at the hardware store for cleaning brick. Buy a new piston and go back to work.

I threw it back together, I’m gonna let it go as a parts saw. It will fire on a prime down the carb.

For my understanding, let’s say I didn’t replace the P/C and just used them as is. What would happen to the saw eventually? For instance, what if I made it a runner with the current P/C, how long would it run or would it not really run at all?
Definitely missing some plating below the exhaust port. Honestly you could still run it. If it was above the exhaust port I’d look for another cylinder. Ball hone it, new piston, ring and run it. I have a saw that’s missing a small bit of plating below the exhaust port. Honed it, new piston and rings. Been running great for a year now. I pulled the cylinder a month or so in, seen absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

Back