what is the correct rope to repel down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know squat about tree climbing, but I have been a mountain climber and ice climber for years. Buy you a good climbing rope. Static rope if you never plan to fall on it. I would buy dynamic. You can still repel on it, and it won’t hurt you in a fall. A figure 8 is old school. A Black Diamond ATC is good. A BD or Petzl ascender are great.
I think arborists call them descenders, Sparrow comes to mind.
Get some training. Lots of people get hurt on the repel. Good Luck.
Training first...and than buy what rope you trained with......making room for future ropes with improved durability.

I don’t know squat about tree climbing, but I have been a mountain climber and ice climber for years. Buy you a good climbing rope. Static rope if you never plan to fall on it. I would buy dynamic. You can still repel on it, and it won’t hurt you in a fall. A figure 8 is old school. A Black Diamond ATC is good. A BD or Petzl ascender are great.
I think arborists call them descenders, Sparrow comes to mind.
Get some training. Lots of people get hurt on the repel. Good Luck.
I agree with all the above. I was a pretty serious climber for over forty years and have likely rappelled miles. I've also been an arborist and a rescue rigger.

I quit using a figure-8 decades ago. One reason is because it twists the rope - it would be fine for what you want, though. I like the ATC and the Petzl belay/ descender devices too.

A 1/2" static line would be plenty adequate, as would a 10mm dynamic rope.

I've been in the same situation as the OP in a bucket truck. By the way, the term is rappel. To the Brits, it's abseil.

I have been trimming trees with a bucket truck for about 8 years now. had a hyd line go and left me stuck up there. I want to keep a rope with me up there for emergency use to get down. I bought some 5/8 rope at Home Depot but I think is incorrect. I tested using a Blakes hitch and about 5 feet down the rope locked up due to friction heat. What is the best rope and size to use? or other method? again hopefully a one time only usage, thanks for any info you can provide.
I work on industrial smoke stacks and do repel down them often for inspections. 1/2 in bluewater rope is the osha approved industry standard. It is rated for 10,000 lbs and fits a variety of safety slides and rappelling racks. If you live by a coast you can find it at marine supply stores.

figure 8 is a super basic descent device, heres a video

First of all, invest in a high quality arborist rope!

You might try a rescue 8 as well; these have some horns on top so you can put some half hitches there using the free part of the rope (from just below the eight) to stop yourself for a break or to do something (but still keep your hand on the rope or attach a lanyard to a branch). Still, it's safest to also have a prussik wrapped on the rope above the 8; you place your hand against it when you want to continue down; that way, if you do a "let go test" you aren't going anywhere.

Have an expert show you some techniques; if you pick up too much speed while rappelling you can get in trouble. Besides, why not enjoy the view and check out what the big old tree looks like on the way down? Bouncing down in 30 ft. jumps against the trunk is for when you really need to "go" or are showing off. How would you like to high center yourself on a sharp stub at speed?

I once was stuck for a while because I had a small diameter 8 and pitch on my rope; I had to pendulum over to the tree, get a lanyard on a branch, and work at freeing the rope. The heat of the long rappel (around 100 ft. -- it was an OG Douglas fir we were rec climbing) melted the pitch on my rope and then it glued the 8 to the rope and I was stuck. On a long rappel, it is also a good idea to stop now and then and let the metal 8 cool; if you can't touch it with bare hands, it could be hot enough to damage the rope. One way to go slow is not to wear gloves; sure, leather gloves are nice, but they will encourage you to go fast.

Back