What is the largest cc engine swap modification that can be put in a Mcculloch 200, 250, 300, 1-40, 1-50 type chainsaw? What would it take to do it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyShepherd2016

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m just curious how big of an engine can go into one of these types of chainsaws. I know that they are 80-87cc’s, but I’m curious to know if a larger engine is possible with that particular chassis. Are the crankshafts compatible with the 95-100 plus cc Mcculloch engines? I just want to know the potential capabilities is all.

If this has already been discussed before, I do apologize, and please forgive my lack of observation.

Thanks!

The clutch is matched to the motor. Use the clutch that came on the bigger motor.

The only question is...does it fit under the clutch cover. It should.
Ok. Good to know. I’m not really planning on doing anything like a modification but I was definitely curious about what could be done to one of those 1-40/50/250 type chassis saws. What made me start wondering is my Mcculloch 1-76/125 Frankensaw. It’s a mutt if I’ve ever seen’t one! 😂

FYI I’ve got Stihl’s that do me just fine thank you. I’m not a brand snob either, I have multiple brands, and having a quality chainsaw is not what this inquiry was about. Like I said, I’m not really even interested in doing such a mod, I was just curious what that particular chassis could accommodate until it’s maxed out. Don’t you just love it when people bring either irrelevance or nothing really useful to a conversation?

The Super 550 is the largest displacement engine that would fit that chassis, no modifications needed as all the external parts fit any of those models. All of the earlier front tank saws had a 5/8" shaft at the clutch and the clutch itself it threaded on. Bigger displacement saws like the 450 and 550 have the 9/16" shaft and a taper for the clutch with a nut to hold the clutch on. The clutch drums are physically the same size and everything fits under the same clutch cover.

For a real performance upgrade, find a non-super series kart engine Mc8, Mc9, Mc90, or Mc91, again a drop in replacement. However, using the stock intake system to keep it stock appearing you will give up some of the performance benefits of the kart engine.

Mark

The Super 550 is the largest displacement engine that would fit that chassis, no modifications needed as all the external parts fit any of those models. All of the earlier front tank saws had a 5/8" shaft at the clutch and the clutch itself it threaded on. Bigger displacement saws like the 450 and 550 have the 9/16" shaft and a taper for the clutch with a nut to hold the clutch on. The clutch drums are physically the same size and everything fits under the same clutch cover.

For a real performance upgrade, find a non-super series kart engine Mc8, Mc9, Mc90, or Mc91, again a drop in replacement. However, using the stock intake system to keep it stock appearing you will give up some of the performance benefits of the kart engine.

Mark
Thanks for the info. This is pretty much just informative, I don’t really see myself doing anything like that to my saws but I definitely couldn’t help but ask. I’ve seen husky 61’s modded with 272 engines, Stihl 041 to 041 super mods, 038 to 038 magnum mods, Jonsereds and older Poulan saws all upgraded, as well as various echo and homelite xl model chainsaws with larger engines….over the years….so I just kinda wondered about Mcculloch too. I know it’s possible to turn a 10-10 into a 700 and what not. But didn’t know as much about the big block yellow saws.

I might do something like that as a fun project with my friends when I have more disposable time and income, but I don’t see myself doing that until I’m probably retired...that is if I still have them too.

Back