What is this nipple (see attached photo) on a Stihl 009L?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEG in Raleigh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a little Stihl 009 L chainsaw that has been lying around my garage for 10+ years and I decided yesterday to see if I could get it running again.....and wonder of wonders, I did! So now, I'm cleaning it up and replacing the air filter, spark plug, etc, to get it usable again When I took off the air filter cover and removed the air filter to expose the chamber containing the carburetor, I saw a portion of a completely disintegrated, formerly clear, plastic tube that was tucked into the front right corner of the chamber next to the carb. On the left front wall of the chamber, there is a little brass nipple protruding that I presume was at one time connected to that now-disintegrated tube. In the attached image file, I've put a few photos together and labeled them to explain better what I'm seeing. Where the remnant of the plastic tube was tucked into the right front corner of the chamber, there is a hole that passes completely through the aluminum housing and exits right above the chain sprocket. I've shown this in the photos where I stuck a Q-tip through the hole and you can see where it enters at the top and exits at the bottom.

Can someone tell me.......
1) What is the little brass nipple for? Is it another chain oiler supply line?
2) Should I have connected a tube to that nipple and ported it down that hole above the chain sprocket?

I cannot find any reference to the nipple, tube, or hole above the sprocket in the owner's manual, the service manual, or the parts manual.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• STIHL 009 L QUESTION.JPG
    STIHL 009 L QUESTION.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 68
I have a little Stihl 009 L chainsaw that has been lying around my garage for 10+ years and I decided yesterday to see if I could get it running again.....and wonder of wonders, I did! So now, I'm cleaning it up and replacing the air filter, spark plug, etc, to get it usable again When I took off the air filter cover and removed the air filter to expose the chamber containing the carburetor, I saw a portion of a completely disintegrated, formerly clear, plastic tube that was tucked into the front right corner of the chamber next to the carb. On the left front wall of the chamber, there is a little brass nipple protruding that I presume was at one time connected to that now-disintegrated tube. In the attached image file, I've put a few photos together and labeled them to explain better what I'm seeing. Where the remnant of the plastic tube was tucked into the right front corner of the chamber, there is a hole that passes completely through the aluminum housing and exits right above the chain sprocket. I've shown this in the photos where I stuck a Q-tip through the hole and you can see where it enters at the top and exits at the bottom.

2) Should I have connected a tube to that nipple and ported it down that hole above the chain sprocket?

I cannot find any reference to the nipple, tube, or hole above the sprocket in the owner's manual, the service manual, or the parts manual.

Tank vent.

I don't know but it may be a vent for the fuel tank. I am sure someone will be along who knows for sure. I haven't worked on many sthil saws yet so I am unfamiliar.
The fuel tank is on top, so that would be a convenient place for them to put a vent, if that's what it is.

Here is one on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938487991...1291&msclkid=be2d892c6ac316d91c3fe8269937f968
Just use some fuel line and a cheapo Echo vent.
Where does the plastic bulb on the end go? Does it just sit in the chamber, where the carburetor is, under the air filter?
Here is one on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938487991...1291&msclkid=be2d892c6ac316d91c3fe8269937f968

Here is one on ebay.
Where does the one-way valve on the end go? Does it just sit in the chamber, where the carburetor is, under the air filter? There is enough room for it there.

Where does the plastic bulb on the end go? Does it just sit in the chamber, where the carburetor is, under the air filter?

Where does the one-way valve on the end go? Does it just sit in the chamber, where the carburetor is, under the air filter? There is enough room for it there.

I found a picture someone posted that shows where it goes. Thanks, everyone for the help!

Attachments

• STIHL 009L TANK VENT.jpg
    STIHL 009L TANK VENT.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 14

My IPL shows the hose, filter, and filter clip clip. Also a vent insert on tank side, most likely a "grub screw"

Back