What Kind Of Poulan Bowsaw Might It Have Been??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetMK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In 1972 or 73, my BIL went to the John Deere dealer in Richmond VA, and asked for a chainsaw.
He knew NOTHING about chainsaws,, they sent him home with a brand new Poulan bowsaw.
I ran it a few times, and never even dreamed of being scared of it,, (YOUTH!!)
Anyways, other than the bow, the only thing I remember is that the exhaust was simply a rectangular port.
The port faced the same direction as the bow, kinda like the direction of the exhaust on my Stihl 029 Super.
There was NO sort of muffler of any type,, if you looked in the port, you were looking at the piston.

Does anyone have any idea what model of saw that might have been??

My BIL's sons ask me about that saw often,, I do not remember much else about it. (My BIL is gone, that is why they ask me,,,)
The sons remember their dad cutting and splitting 18-24 inch gum with that saw,, then he would try to split the gum by hand,,
He ended up welding a 4" diameter pipe to the splitting maul head, and filling it with lead. He could swing that maul,, only him!!
The handle broke, he welded on a piece of pipe, and kept swinging that thing,, I think that splitter is one of the reasons he died young.

Oh, yea,, I figure being around that saw when my BIL was running it,, is one of the reasons I am hard of hearing today!! LOL!!

Any help with a model # would be greatly appreciated,,,

Do an internet search for photos of models 361 or 400, then a 306 or 245, and see if that jogs your memory. Pretty sure the larger cc 4200/5200 series saws came out later than 1973.

No new saws were offered without a muffler in that time period though, but he could have easily removed it or it rattled off. Your ears are likely still ringing if you stood to the right of him while cutting!

Latest posts

Back