What Makes A Chainsaw Chain Aggressive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what makes a chainsaw chain aggressive.jpg
There is no doubt that an aggressive chain improves cutting efficiency, and that is the main reason why loggers or professionals pursue such an extreme chainsaw chain. But there are still some who are puzzled by what makes a chainsaw chain aggressive. When searching for an aggressive chainsaw chain, factors such as the cutter types, the cutter teeth sequence, the size of the chainsaw chain, as well as the chainsaw power should be taken into consideration. In fact, the violent kickback comes from cutting as you enjoy the well-improved cutting performance.
Here, we will talk about the features that make a chain aggressive. The following list can be used to determine the most aggressive chainsaw chain:

The Cutter Type
chainsaw chain cutter types.jpg
It has been well-known that there are commonly semi-chisel cutter chains, full-chisel cutter chains, and low-profile cutter chains on the market. The full-chisel cutter features square-cornered cutter teeth, making the chain more aggressive than the other two types of cutters. Because of the square-cornered cutter teeth, the saw chain blade is sharper than the round-cornered cutter teeth to cut through hardwoods.

The Cutter Teeth Sequence
chainsaw chain sequence arrangement.jpg
The more cutters on the chain, the more drag the chain would receive and the slower the chain would run. Based on this principle, we can know that the skip chain, which has fewer cutter teeth, needs less power from your chainsaw to offset the drag from the chain. So your chainsaw with a skip chain could run faster and more aggressively. Moreover, the skip chain has the most wider gap between every cutter tooth. The wide gap allows wood shavings to be carried out by the chain, which contributes to deep cuttings.

The Size of the Chain
In more precise words, the pitch of the chain partly determines the aggressiveness of the chainsaw chain. The pitch is dictated by the chainsaw, unless you are going to buy a new chainsaw, or you have to choose chains according to what your chainsaw takes. The larger pitch sizes equal the larger and heavier chains. The .404 pitch chains are the most aggressive chainsaw chains than the chains with other pitch sizes. They are capable of dealing with heavy-duty works such as large timber.

The Chainsaw Power
Chainsaw power is also an important factor in aggressiveness. Some chainsaws with small motors are never aggressive enough to handle heavy cutting jobs. A chainsaw with a strong engine would be a sustainable power source to drive the chain aggressively.

Conclusion
For the chainsaw chain itself, the most aggressive chain is a .404 pitch, full-chisel skip chain. However, you should be careful to work with it, as you may be injured from the violent kickback. For the chainsaw, a strong motor makes faster-cutting speed which also contributes to the aggressiveness of the chainsaw.

how does depth gauge contribute to cutting
It controls how much wood the cutter can bite.

A lower powered saw or a higher rpm saw prefers less bite also bar length and the size of wood and type of wood comes into it.

My 395 with a 24 I can drop them quite low but if putting that combo on the 268 it becomes to much. The chain is too aggressive but... if only cutting small rounds then it would be ok.

My older Mac's pull less rpm and the general thought would be it cuts slower but no see the Mac can pull a more aggressive chain with lower rakers and the speed is similar

A husky progressive depth gauge is your best friend.

It controls how much wood the cutter can bite.

A lower powered saw or a higher rpm saw prefers less bite also bar length and the size of wood and type of wood comes into it.

My 395 with a 24 I can drop them quite low but if putting that combo on the 268 it becomes to much. The chain is too aggressive but... if only cutting small rounds then it would be ok.

My older Mac's pull less rpm and the general thought would be it cuts slower but no see the Mac can pull a more aggressive chain with lower rakers and the speed is similar

A husky progressive depth gauge is your best friend.
It really inspires me a lot. Thanks for sharing this

The first thing to be clear about is what is meant by "Aggressive".
My meaning is the maximum depth cutters penetrate into the wood and pull out a decent size chip - not powder.
Sharpness of cutter is only one parameter
The others factors are the top plate cutting angle and the depth of the rakers.

Cutter edges can be as sharp as razors but if the top plate filing angle is too steep and the raker depths are too shallow then the chain simply won't cut very efficiently.

Once the top plate cutting angle is optimised for longevity/penetration (too much hook will penetrate more, but go blunt quicker) the ultimate arbiters of chain aggressivity are then down to raker depthss. High rakers will make loads of dust and cut slowly. Lowering rakers should make more chips up to a point when rakers that a far too low will stall the saw.

The critical parameter is the raker angle, this should be such to suit the powerhead/wood type and size/bar length/chain cutter sequence etc

If you want more info on this maybe check out this post.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/cs-milling-101-hints-tips-and-tricks.93458/page-6#post-4107285

Thanks for sharing this
The included picture shows a tooth in the center that I drew a line on it’s what I refer to it’s drag or raker the technical term is depth gauge every time you file the tooth and the drag is left without filling the less the cutting edge will bite or remove an amount of wood I use a full chisel full comp chain on a 20” bar with a 592XP to cut timber even with a big saw if I file those drags to much that chain will stop my saw almost every time I cut in to the base of a tree because it’s taking too big of a bite everything is factored in how many strokes I took to file each tooth what configuration the chain is in if it’s full comp, skip, partial skip every thing matters it really takes cutting timber a lot and making mistakes to understand how it all works.

Attachments

• B6051E46-614D-4A49-BA4E-6DD78990616D.jpeg
    B6051E46-614D-4A49-BA4E-6DD78990616D.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 4
Back