What Makes A Chainsaw Chain Aggressive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also never seen a " full house" chain. Looks like the depth gauges don't come into play at all except for maybe in a bore cut. I realize the cutter rocks up a bit when it grabs the wood. Seems like a dangerous version. Anyone ever use one like this?

1660823917146.png

how does depth gauge contribute to cutting
They play a huge part in chain aggressiveness. They control how deep the cutter bites into the wood. With softer woods, you can use a lower setting. With harder woods, you need to take a smaller bite. The power of the saw comes into play as well.

I've also never seen a " full house" chain. Looks like the depth gauges don't come into play at all except for maybe in a bore cut. I realize the cutter rocks up a bit when it grabs the wood. Seems like a dangerous version. Anyone ever use one like this?
‘Full House’ chain is mostly used for carving, or special situations, like bamboo, as I understand it.

Philbert

Further to what Jethro has said, significant filing of the depth gauges can make a chain far more "aggressive" than what a traditionally filed larger chain would be
to further what JD said... the species of the wood being cut matters to the raker depth as well...what cuts like a cream in Silver Maple bounces and shudders like a meth head in Oak

I am still amazed, a few years down the road now, with an experience I had buying a saw at a hardware store after my usual dealer repeatedly dropped the ball on getting in the model I wanted, while I was on a job, and more long story yaddayaddayadda. The friendly local hardware store had one last copy of it, a pro model, sitting on the shelf, ready to walk out the door.

What they did not have, on the saw, or on the shelf, or even “in the computer” to quickly order, was any full chisel chain, at all. “We’re not allowed to sell that any more.”

View attachment 1010939
Never seen one would not use one

The first thing to be clear about is what is meant by "Aggressive".
My meaning is the maximum depth cutters penetrate into the wood and pull out a decent size chip - not powder.
Sharpness of cutter is only one parameter
The others factors are the top plate cutting angle and the depth of the rakers.

Cutter edges can be as sharp as razors but if the top plate filing angle is too steep and the raker depths are too shallow then the chain simply won't cut very efficiently.

Once the top plate cutting angle is optimised for longevity/penetration (too much hook will penetrate more, but go blunt quicker) the ultimate arbiters of chain aggressivity are then down to raker depthss. High rakers will make loads of dust and cut slowly. Lowering rakers should make more chips up to a point when rakers that a far too low will stall the saw.

The critical parameter is the raker angle, this should be such to suit the powerhead/wood type and size/bar length/chain cutter sequence etc

If you want more info on this maybe check out this post.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/cs-milling-101-hints-tips-and-tricks.93458/page-6#post-4107285
Thanks, sir, what you have said really inspires me a lot.

Never seen one would not use one
Maybe it is called comp
full house chain is often used on tiny saws for pruni

View attachment 1010939
It is used on tiny saws for pruning

I am still amazed, a few years down the road now, with an experience I had buying a saw at a hardware store after my usual dealer repeatedly dropped the ball on getting in the model I wanted, while I was on a job, and more long story yaddayaddayadda. The friendly local hardware store had one last copy of it, a pro model, sitting on the shelf, ready to walk out the door.

What they did not have, on the saw, or on the shelf, or even “in the computer” to quickly order, was any full chisel chain, at all. “We’re not allowed to sell that any more.”
why you are not allowed

I recon there talking about how much you file off your drags increasing the depth your tooth cuts.
I have seen where users filed from new to expended and NEVER filed the depth gages.... while still wondering "WHY does the chain never cut like a NEW chain?" "Just filed like my Daddy taught me" they said... Reminds me of the daughter asked the Mother, who asked the grandmother.. "? "WHY do you cut the end off the roast before you put it in the pan?" and both responded "because Momma always did"... so they all asked GGM, who said "To make it fit in the pan, silly"

I have seen where users filed from new to expended and NEVER filed the depth gages.... while still wondering "WHY does the chain never cut like a NEW chain?" "Just filed like my Daddy taught me" they said... Reminds me of the daughter asked the Mother, who asked the grandmother.. "? "WHY do you cut the end off the roast before you put it in the pan?" and both responded "because Momma always did"... so they all asked GGM, who said "To make it fit in the pan, silly"
LOL

I think low profile chain is a kind of homeowner-friendly chain. So it performs well in home use
Low profile or LP chain is a smaller version of standard 3/8 used on sub 60cc saws, there are several very aggressive styles available from several manufacturers in both semi chisel and full chisel that cut very fast and can kick back like a mule due to the saws being able to keep vry high chain speed during cutting. I'd love a couple 20" 3/8 lp bar in stihl large mount D009? and the matching sprockets in medium and large spline ;)

I think low profile chain is a kind of homeowner-friendly chain. So it performs well in home use
Very interesting. Exactly which attributes of LP chain make it so homeowner friendly? In what way is LP more appropriate than .325? Or is .325 better? Please do share your insights with us.

Back