What makita saws were good and why

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herman the German

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am just wanting to learn a little more about makita saws, I see mention of them every so often on this site and I never really paid them any mind prior to being on this site, but I see they have a close resemblance to that of Sachs Dolmar. I just wanted to know the relations between them if any, as well as to those who own makita saws maybe share a pic as well as a little story of the luck you've had with yours.. I just acquired 2 of them makita dcs 2501 I think is what it says. It's a little scraped up only on the sticker the rest is fairly good looking. Thanks all for any info

Makita has never made saws that I know of.... but they own Dolmar, and Dolmar makes blue ones for them!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolmar
I have a Dolmar 6400. It shipped with a kinked oil pickup line and I kept flooding it at first, but it's a real solid saw for me now.

Not sure how they do the model numbers on the rebadged ones, but Dolmar model numbers usually contain the displacement (so 6400 is a 64cc saw).

Makita has never made saws that I know of.... but they own Dolmar, and Dolmar makes blue ones for them!

I have a Dolmar 6400. It shipped with a kinked oil pickup line and I kept flooding it at first, but it's a real solid saw for me now.

Not sure how they do the model numbers on the rebadged ones, but Dolmar model numbers usually contain the displacement (so 6400 is a 64cc saw).
Great info man. Thanks for sharing that. There isn't a ton of info that I'm getting online anywhere yet , at least that I've seen so far. The saws that I just got Are smaller I'd say 40ish on the cc. They remind me of the size of an ms180 stihl. But the guy said they cut great when they ran. I'll get at least one of them running tomorrow I hope.

I'm trying to get a saw preferably an older Dolmar or makita Dolmar that is a higher cc maybe that of an ms460 like 76.cc or so or I wouldn't mind an upper 60s cc saw. I'd like to know what ones were worth having so I'll know what to start looking for. I have all the saws I need to get jobs done {ms661 ms460 and 194T and a bunch of McCulloch ¹⁰-¹⁰ s and a pm⁷⁰⁰s}I just want a saw to toy around with in the firewood.

Dolma 1952 first commercial gas chainsaw, 1975 merged with Fichtel&Sachs ( then called Sachs Dolmar) 1991 Makita purchased sachs dolmar. The Blue and Gray colors are labeled Makita the Dolmars are still orange in color. There is no différance, so far, internally parts wise Makita corded electric is the only one on market, I am aware of, with all metal gearing. Dolitas are pro saws- no 3 tier approach like Huskies ( Johnsered and Poulan) and Stilh ( Pro,Commercial, consumer)
80cc class 7900 , 60cc class 6400 series going back in time 120 or 116 models, 112 50cc/ I have had my 7900 for 20 years, it replaced the 116SI that I wore out, current inventory is 7900, 7910 6400 ,112 ( all dolmar orange) 6410 in Blue gray ( makita) For what ever reason the blue gray units are priced a bit less than the Orange ones.

Dolma 1952 first commercial gas chainsaw, 1975 merged with Fichtel&Sachs ( then called Sachs Dolmar) 1991 Makita purchased sachs dolmar. The Blue and Gray colors are labeled Makita the Dolmars are still orange in color. There is no différance, so far, internally parts wise Makita corded electric is the only one on market, I am aware of, with all metal gearing. Dolitas are pro saws- no 3 tier approach like Huskies ( Johnsered and Poulan) and Stilh ( Pro,Commercial, consumer)
80cc class 7900 , 60cc class 6400 series going back in time 120 or 116 models, 112 50cc/ I have had my 7900 for 20 years, it replaced the 116SI that I wore out, current inventory is 7900, 7910 6400 ,112 ( all dolmar orange) 6410 in Blue gray ( makita) For what ever reason the blue gray units are priced a bit less than the Orange ones.
Good stuff man. It's good to hear about your saw lasting a long time for ya and also about them being pro saws across the board. And metal gear part too. Stuff I didn't know and am glad I now know thanks pal

I'm trying to get a saw preferably an older Dolmar or makita Dolmar that is a higher cc maybe that of an ms460 like 76.cc or so or I wouldn't mind an upper 60s cc saw. I'd like to know what ones were worth having so I'll know what to start looking for. I have all the saws I need to get jobs done {ms661 ms460 and 194T and a bunch of McCulloch ¹⁰-¹⁰ s and a pm⁷⁰⁰s}I just want a saw to toy around with in the firewood.

Check out Home Depot tool rentals. Last I checked their saws are old Makita (Dolmar) 64ccs, used pretty much exclusively by the kind of person who would rent a chainsaw. So they can be nice finds when they get dropped from the rental fleet.

I have seen and used exactly one Makita saw. A guy who used to work here owned it and brought it to work. I didn't think much of it at first but it turned out to be a great saw. He worked here for quite a while and used that saw everyday on the ground. When he quit, he said he was just going to leave the saw on the crew. It died a few days after he quit. Strange timing. It ran perfectly until he quit.

I purchased an orange Makita EA4300 from the Home Depot tool program. I've been really pleased with it, so my light weight clam shell Stihl trimming saws are going to be finding a new home as a result.
Based on my experience I would recommend the EA4300, but it has a smaller displacement that you are looking for. The 6400 and 7900 series have a solid following in both orange or blue & grey "smurf" colors.
I've read mixed reviews of the 5000 series saws.

I'll check with the nearest Home Depot. It's an HR. Away from where I live so I believe I'll call 1st to see if they have anything in the line of retired rental saws they're gonna sell off. That would be cool.

Gas Chainsaw 20"​

Gas Chainsaw 20

Previously Rented - Makita
category #01 group #024​

Starting at $313.00 / each
1 Available

Newport News #4613 (58.4 mi)​

325 Chatham Road
Newport News, VA 23602 | View on Map
Phone: (757) 833-1104
Mon-Sat: 6:00am - 9:00pm, Sun: 8:00am - 8:00pm

Was doing some research on makita recently. From what I read on here and comparing to home depot saws the badging is the same. I just don't know much about older dolmars.

The point that you brought up about makita not making saws that they simply own Dolmar is a great point because (not that makita couldn't) but they never changed anything really. Like that classic german profile and quality of the saw, also makita being a Japanese company, the makita/Dolmar saws are still manufactured in Hamburg germany and are virtualy unchanged. (Most likely the same factory). I would think that makita would have, over time taken on a more shindawa/echo sorta look. The Japanese take pride in thier work and craftsmanship for sure unlike the chinese which have no regulations on quality, just quantity. I love the sugihara and tsumura guide bars they make. So I guess either way hands being changed or unchanged, between german and Japanese manufacturing you should have a good product. These makita saws are just intriguing to me. I'd like to have an actual Dolmar too though someday if one comes available for the right price....I'll snatch it

Here are a few Dolmar equivalents
Dolmar 109/110/110i/110iH/ McCulloch Pro Mac 4300
Dolmar 111 / Makita 520

Dolmar 115/ McCulloch Pro Mac 5200/ Makita DCS5200i

Dolmar 116/ McCulloch Pro Mac 5600

Dolmar 120 Super/ McCulloch Pro Mac 6800/ Makita DCS 6800

Dolmar 133/133 Super/ McCulloch Super Pro 85

Dolmar 152/153/ Poulan 6000/S6000

Dolmar 166/ McCulloch Super Pro 118/

Dolmar 6400/ Makita DCS642120

Dolmar PS-350/ 351/ 420/ 421/ MAKITA EA4300F40B

Dolmar PS-115i / Makita DCS-5200

Dolmar PS-111/ Makita DCS- 520

Dolmar PS-421 is a Maruyama MCV42
Dolmar 5105 is a Maruyama MCV51
Dolmar PS-540/ Makita DCS-540

Dolmar ES 38a /Makita UC3020A
Any others and I will add to my list.

I've only ever had one Dolmar, but if you like solid saws with old-fashioned carbs that you can adjust with a screwdriver instead of a module replacement, the 6400 has earned my vote. It's currently the only saw I have that is absolutely stock except for the bar- not even a muffler mod lol.

I have seen and used exactly one Makita saw. A guy who used to work here owned it and brought it to work. I didn't think much of it at first but it turned out to be a great saw. He worked here for quite a while and used that saw everyday on the ground. When he quit, he said he was just going to leave the saw on the crew. It died a few days after he quit. Strange timing. It ran perfectly until he quit.
Possibly nobody knew how to start it. I had to get to know mine a little before she decided she liked me. :)

Possibly nobody knew how to start it. I had to get to know mine a little before she decided she liked me. :)

Well we all used it plenty of times. It was a really nice running saw. I don't remember what happened to it but we even had the guy who owned it stop back by at mess with it. We all agreed it was shot.

BTW...as I remember...this saw was all blue. I'd probably buy another one just to try it out if I could find one in my area.

I modded the muffler a bit today and re tuned the carb and I'm telling ya. It freakin screams. I think in name it banshee.. cause it screams like one and it also reminds me of a Yamaha banshee. Hehehe just kiddin but To be such a small saw it bored through that oak today like it was cutting water.. and ultra fast through the cuts too.. I'm pleased so far with this one.. can anyone tell me for sure but I have found mine to be a makita dcs520i @ 52cc... So far that's all I have but it can cut just as well as my McCulloch pro Mac 10-10 and pro Mac 700 and it's half the weight. I'm impressed..

Latest posts

Back