What makita saws were good and why

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ust to back up a bit- ford 7.3 when first introduced , replacing the 6.9, had it's issues also- one was the crank sensor failures
I started reading this and was really wondering how this was going to link back to Makita chainsaws, but you pulled it off!

I have spoken positively about battery and corded electric chainsaws extensively in these threads, but recognize that there are many places that they cannot replace the 2-cycle saw: at least today. Same thing with gasoline / diesel vehicles: battery cars have limited range between recharges. Of course, if you had told me in 19XX that you would be able to drive a gasoline car across the USA, stopping at a network of gasoline stations everywhere along the way, I might have given you a polite smile. That's why trains used COAL! And why people used horses and oxen.

30 years from now it will be our kids' issue to deal with, both positively and negatively. If I am still around, I will be one of those guys saying, "I remember mixing oil AND gas to make my saws run . . . !"

Philbert

just to back up a bit- ford 7.3 when first introduced , replacing the 6.9, had it's issues also- one was the crank sensor failures, another involved the wiring harness for the injectors and glow plugs(built into the head gaskets)i think there were some egr problems as well, but my memory is fading. There isn't an engine in the automotive world that isn't suffering from some sort of glitches. With complexity comes issues.
Global warming- the earth as a whole goes through cycles- warmer / colder . Mt St Helen's blew it's top and dumped more stuff into the atmosphere than in all of mankind's total existence. Now multiply that by the number of other Volcanoes since that time and add in the undersea ones that have cause major ocean current changes, forest fires, and on and on. Is it real sure. Is it caused by Humans NO, do Humans play apart in it Yes. For all our tech skill we are still stupid. Build a city below sea level- your gonna get wet. build a city in a bowl yep your gonna have some bad air days, build a city on the slopes of a volcano yep your gonna get burned. build in a swamp and yep your gonna have insect problems and on and on.
I agree with that.. every car/truck has its issues. At least til it's been around a while and they have plenty of time to work out all those glitches ect. 2000-2003 was the wonder years of 7.3 (great years). In 03 you got to choose from 7.3 or 6.0 but the 7.3 was still offered in some 03 trucks.. also this is what caused me to not pay attention to global warming garbage, I don't know if anyone believes in the lord or not but I do and gods word says that (HE) will destroy the earth.didnt say man will or pollution it says GOD will destroy it. I'm not saying we shouldn't pick up our trash and old bait cans after we leave a trout stream after a good day of fishing, or just intentionally do things to harm the planet we call home yet I believe that we are to be good stewards of what the Lord has given us and in so doing we should all just try our best and let the lord worry with the rest as he knows what he is doing..... after all.... Hes the man that created ALL

115 is , 5105 H , 7910 HD 3 very capable saws , love them every time I use them ! ;)
That sounds good man, can't wait to get my hands on a 60ish or 70ish cc makita.. a lot of folks don't care for the blue/green color but I like it. Same color as my bosch drills and cordless tools. Boy ol boy if bosch made saws they would have to be great cause I've been using one of there drills in a mechanic environment for 7 years every day hard use. Transmission fluid has gotten in it several times and I blow it out and it keeps on trucking. Darn good equipment.

That sounds good man, can't wait to get my hands on a 60ish or 70ish cc makita.. a lot of folks don't care for the blue/green color but I like it. Same color as my bosch drills and cordless tools. Boy ol boy if bosch made saws they would have to be great cause I've been using one of there drills in a mechanic environment for 7 years every day hard use. Transmission fluid has gotten in it several times and I blow it out and it keeps on trucking. Darn good equipment.
Actually mine are the customary orange , only badged as Mikita . Yes the 60-70 cc class are the heavy hitters of conventional homeowner use . However I find that quite often I now use either my 50 cc 5105 H or my other Husky 346 xp more often . It is surprising how these small bore units can perform in hardwoods felling and bucking rather than only routine limbing . Hope you find a quality Dolkita prior to the anticipated phase out !

Actually mine are the customary orange , only badged as Mikita . Yes the 60-70 cc class are the heavy hitters of conventional homeowner use . However I find that quite often I now use either my 50 cc 5105 H or my other Husky 346 xp more often . It is surprising how these small bore units can perform in hardwoods felling and bucking rather than only routine limbing . Hope you find a quality Dolkita prior to the anticipated phase out !
I'd like to know how to find a home D that's selling off one. Someone posted one on this topic but it was in Virginia Beach V.A..... a bit too far to drive but maybe they will ship it to me huh? If I buy online or something 1st

I agree with you also about the smaller saws. I have experienced this what you are talking about with the 50cc saws cutting great into hardwoods. And big stuff too. Other saws I've used of this cc isn't even comparable. That's why I'm wanting more of these saws I use the makita dcs520i 52cc saw. It is super light and super fast through the wood. Not what I'd classify a homeowner saw at all.. at any cc class these to me are some pro saws bro.

I agree with you also about the smaller saws. I have experienced this what you are talking about with the 50cc saws cutting great into hardwoods. And big stuff too. Other saws I've used of this cc isn't even comparable. That's why I'm wanting more of these saws I use the makita dcs520i 52cc saw. It is super light and super fast through the wood. Not what I'd classify a homeowner saw at all.. at any cc class these to me are some pro saws bro.
I agree 100% they are a quality pro grade units . I hope that another manufacturer will take the Dolmar line on however they may go the route of Jonsered . Time will tell , since 2022 will be the last model yr . within Mikitas decision .

One saw I haven't seen mentioned is the 6100.
I was under the impression that Home Depot was switching from the 6400 series of saws to the 6100.
I like my 7910's, the 5101 is a bit chunky for me, about the same size as the husky 550 mk2(the new version), and the 4300 is a good saw, but big for a 40cc saw also.

Another company could buy the name, and we’d see cheap saws with that name at Walmart :(

Philbert

I hear often hear people arguing (sometimes passionately) about what brand is better. Sometimes it's really funny matchups where both brands are the same company (Black and Decker vs. Dewalt, fight!). Sometimes it's even dumber than that, where one or both of them will be championing a store brand that has never been made solely any one manufacturer.

People put big stock in it though. You don't have to look far for someone who thinks that Kenmore is a good or bad appliance maker, when in fact they have never made an appliance and probably never will.

I hear often hear people arguing (sometimes passionately) about what brand is better. Sometimes it's really funny matchups where both brands are the same company (Black and Decker vs. Dewalt, fight!). Sometimes it's even dumber than that, where one or both of them will be championing a store brand that has never been made solely any one manufacturer.

People put big stock in it though. You don't have to look far for someone who thinks that Kenmore is a good or bad appliance maker, when in fact they have never made an appliance and probably never will.
Huskys the best! :p:lol:

I have the 6400 with the 7900 jug and heated handles. Initial cold start is a bear. Anything afterwards she’ll fire with one short pull. Very strong running saw. It wears a 28” bar. I have a Home Depot makita 32cc that I’ve been using a lot. It’s a real snot monster, oil goes everywhere. Saw is fun to run especially in thick blowdown stuff.

I have the 6400 with the 7900 jug and heated handles. Initial cold start is a bear. Anything afterwards she’ll fire with one short pull. Very strong running saw. It wears a 28” bar. I have a Home Depot makita 32cc that I’ve been using a lot. It’s a real snot monster, oil goes everywhere. Saw is fun to run especially in thick blowdown stuff.
Did you convert that one to heated handles.
Do you mean it's hard to pull over, or it takes many pullet to get it to fire. Mine start very easy and you need to be carful not to flood them. They are great saws for sure.
Which model 32cc saw.

Did you convert that one to heated handles.
Do you mean it's hard to pull over, or it takes many pullet to get it to fire. Mine start very easy and you need to be carful not to flood them. They are great saws for sure.
Which model 32cc saw.
It is both hard to pull, even with the decomp valve, and hard start because, yes, it floods easily. It came with the heated handle. Don’t care for it. Don’t need it. But was a great deal. The little makita is EA3200S and has an adjustable oiler that I find hilarious. I really like that little saw.

Years ago, I thought something was wrong with my 6400 before I learned how to start it. I was trying to start it like one of my other saws and ended up having to air out the spark plug every time!

Now that I have it figured out, zero issues.

I actually bought it intending to convert it to 79cc (cheaper than just buying a 7900), but I've actually been pretty happy with it at 64.

Heated handles in alabama? Hehehehe. Probably not used too often huh? I've never had a saw with heated handles but would love that for where I live here in W.V..... can it be turned off and on or does it have to be unhooked ect. Ect.

Heated handles in alabama? Hehehehe. Probably not used too often huh? I've never had a saw with heated handles but would love that for where I live here in W.V..... can it be turned off and on or does it have to be unhooked ect. Ect.
My 5105 H is awesome with its heated handles . A simple black toggle switch activates the heating coils for the handle .

Back