What older model chainsaw has the most durable engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked at Home Depot Tool Rental as a tool tech for a few years. We had 3 Makita gas saws and 2 corded Makita electrics. Being a Stihl and Homelite user most of my life I must say if I was going to buy a brand new saw aside of Stihl it would be a Makita. We had the same saws for several years. Rental tools are abused something fierce. I did have to replace a couple of clutches and covers from thrown chains, but that was the extent of fix em repairs. One thing good about all that is those used bars and chains fit my saws. 3/8 20" haven't bought a new one in 7 years or more, had 100's of them barely used.
I love my Dolkitas almost as much as my Vintage Pioneers . My Father & Uncle ran Sachs-Dolmar 113 , 115i & 116si saws 40 yrs ago , i have owned 5 Dolkitas . I still have the 116si , I picked up a 5105 H 3 yrs ago & have previously owned a 7900 , 7910 HD & just purchased a new 7900 & had Kevin port it . I also have a 346 xp , 357 xp that I ported with a engine builder buddy & just sold my 574 xp last fall . All in all very stout saws with their own personalities . P.S. looking at another reed valve Dolkita a 6100 later this fall ;)

I would happily walk over a dozen Mosin's to pick up a Lee Enfield.
Shot my 1st Bull moose at 19 , with my Dad's recondition Lee Enfield .303 Springfield . Very effect & relatively cheap. Intial purchase of $50 @ Cochrane Dunlop .

Shot my 1st Bull moose at 19 , with my Dad's recondition Lee Enfield .303 Springfield . Very effect & relatively cheap. Intial purchase of $50 @ Cochrane Dunlop .

I could care less If Bobhedgecutter doesn’t like Nagants. Probably couldn’t own one in New Zealand anyway. Nagant’s harder hitting and more accurate than a .303 ever was with clean ammo. Sure they’re ugly but ww1 and 2 were not beauty pageants. And I’d much rather own 12 Nagants than one Enfield. Any rational person would…especially if they were Remington octagonal receiver ones. Wait. I stand corrected. I’d walk over 12 Nagants if they were all broken. That being said, I do like Enfield rifles too. Actually quite a bit! And their cousin the Eddystone. All rifles from the world wars are some of my Al time faves, including ENFIELDS!

I could care less If Bobhedgecutter doesn’t like Nagants. Probably couldn’t own one in New Zealand anyway. Nagant’s harder hitting and more accurate than a .303 ever was with clean ammo. Sure they’re ugly but ww1 and 2 were not beauty pageants. And I’d much rather own 12 Nagants than one Enfield. Any rational person would…especially if they were Remington octagonal barreled ones. Wait. I stand corrected. I’d walk over 12 Nagants if they were all broken. That being said, I do like Enfield rifles too. Actually quite a bit! And their cousin the Eddystone. All rifles from the world wars are some of my Al time faves, including ENFIELDS!

Remington (and others) made some Lee's as well- so you can get American made ones and who else had a 10 round box mag, 60 degree bolt throw? :lol:

It allows faster cutting within smaller cube saws & quicker sharpening in the field . On larger commercial saws with longer than 36 " bars it really makes cutting more efficient & smoother cutting for the operator !
Filing a full house on a 3+ foot bar would just eat too much of your day ,considering you normally only get about 6ish hrs in the bush to begin with you don't want to have to spend alot of that sharpening . Also dad was a jonsered man , told me that all the guys would try to give him a hard time being the only guy with a jonsered ,but in his mind it was great . Was an awesome reliable saw, no one would touch it , and in reality , they were just huskies dressed in red and with a mag crank. I believe he said they were totally interchangeable with husky parts , just one came with a steel crank and one with a magnesium crank . Can't remember which was which now but I think I have it right .

Filing a full house on a 3+ foot bar would just eat too much of your day ,considering you normally only get about 6ish hrs in the bush to begin with you don't want to have to spend alot of that sharpening . Also dad was a jonsered man , told me that all the guys would try to give him a hard time being the only guy with a jonsered ,but in his mind it was great . Was an awesome reliable saw, no one would touch it , and in reality , they were just huskies dressed in red and with a mag crank. I believe he said they were totally interchangeable with husky parts , just one came with a steel crank and one with a magnesium crank . Can't remember which was which now but I think I have it right .

Would love to see a magnesium crank saw- never heard of one before let alone in a Jonsered, shame you cannot remember the model.
But been there and done that as the only one in a crew running a Jonsered- you learn to turn the other cheek and let the saw do the talking for you. Mine was the 2094- with a steel crank and not any sort of Husqvarna duplicate.

Would love to see a magnesium crank saw- never heard of one before let alone in a Jonsered, shame you cannot remember the model.
But been there and done that as the only one in a crew running a Jonsered- you learn to turn the other cheek and let the saw do the talking for you. Mine was the 2094- with a steel crank and not any sort of Husqvarna duplicate.
Thinking , he was indicating magnesium crankcase , that was used on his fathers saw vs plastic on some other Jonsered models . If magnesium was an option the Stihl MS400 would have added it along with its Mag piston assembly lol .

Filing a full house on a 3+ foot bar would just eat too much of your day ,considering you normally only get about 6ish hrs in the bush to begin with you don't want to have to spend alot of that sharpening . Also dad was a jonsered man , told me that all the guys would try to give him a hard time being the only guy with a jonsered ,but in his mind it was great . Was an awesome reliable saw, no one would touch it , and in reality , they were just huskies dressed in red and with a magin the crank. I believe he said they were totally interchangeable with husky parts , just one came with a steel crank and one with a magnesium crank . Can't remember which was which now but I think I have it right .
Cutting soft woods with 36" + bars is the norm . Not so much in the hardwood sector . 28" is the norm out east .

I could care less If Bobhedgecutter doesn’t like Nagants. Probably couldn’t own one in New Zealand anyway. Nagant’s harder hitting and more accurate than a .303 ever was with clean ammo. Sure they’re ugly but ww1 and 2 were not beauty pageants. And I’d much rather own 12 Nagants than one Enfield. Any rational person would…especially if they were Remington octagonal receiver ones. Wait. I stand corrected. I’d walk over 12 Nagants if they were all broken. That being said, I do like Enfield rifles too. Actually quite a bit! And their cousin the Eddystone. All rifles from the world wars are some of my Al time faves, including ENFIELDS!
Never eye balled a Nagants , i will investigate further lol. My Dads rifle was equipped as per military specs iron sights . Although some sniper rifles were peep sighted . Moose hunting really is a art of calling your game within range . The .303 Springfield in 180 gr. partition far exceeded 30-30 Marlin or 32 special Winchester of the day . Actually was just a little South of the venerible 30-06 Springfield . More than sufficient for Moose , Elk or Caribou or deer . However it was a heavy rifle to pack through the bush , my 742 Woodsmaster in .308 was a welcome preference & replacement 4 yrs later . lol.

Never eye balled a Nagants , i will investigate further lol. My Dads rifle was equipped as per military specs iron sights . Although some sniper rifles were peep sighted . Moose hunting really is a art of calling your game within range . The .303 Springfield in 180 gr. partition far exceeded 30-30 Marlin or 32.special Winchester of the dsy . Actually was just a little South of the venerible 30-06 Springfield . More than sufficient for Moose , Elk or Caribou or deer . However it was a heavy rifle to pack through the bush , my 742 Woodsmaster in .308 would be a welcome preference .

No 3 SMLE had slightly more normal V iron sights in front of the receiver- the No4 Mk1 and Mk2 and No5 Carbine all had folding peep at the rear of the receiver.
Agreed on the 742 though, much more fun- had a BDL in .30/06, very nice upgrade from the No 3 Lee.

Never eye balled a Nagants , i will investigate further lol. My Dads rifle was equipped as per military specs iron sights . Although some sniper rifles were peep sighted . Moose hunting really is a art of calling your game within range . The .303 Springfield in 180 gr. partition far exceeded 30-30 Marlin or 32 special Winchester of the day . Actually was just a little South of the venerible 30-06 Springfield . More than sufficient for Moose , Elk or Caribou or deer . However it was a heavy rifle to pack through the bush , my 742 Woodsmaster in .308 was a welcome preference & replacement 4 yrs later . lol.
Nagants are ugly. And I mean ugly with a capital U. But they are very dependable and pretty darn powerful. Slightly more than a .308 Win, but not quite as flat shooting. A little bit less punch than a
.30-06. But I don’t want to get too hung up on guns, I was really liking the chainsaw part of this thread.

No 3 SMLE hach d slightly more normal V iron sights in front of the receiver- the No4 Mk1 and Mk2 and No5 Carbine all had folding peep at the rear of the receiver.
Agreed on the 742 though, much more fun- had a BDL in .30/06, very nice upgrade from the No 3 Lee.
Ok , reseached the Moslin Nagrant 7.62 also the Pederson rifle that lost out to the M1Grande after the 1903 Springfield was taken out of military usage . I actually like the looks & specs of the 1903 Springfied , looked like a very rugged rifle , although as with the Lee Enfield , I suppose the superior ability of the M1 carbine to send vast more lead down range was a plus as was its light weight within the final decision making !

Ok , reseached the Moslin Nagrant 7.62 also the Pederson rifle that lost out to the M1Grande after the 1903 Springfield was taken out of military usage . I actually like the looks & specs of the 1903 Springfied , looked like a very rugged rifle , although as with the Lee Enfield , I suppose the superior ability of the M1 carbine to send vast more lead down range was a plus as was its light weight within the final decision making !
M1 carbine was not as effective of a round as m-1 Garand. But you should try a .30 carbine round through a 6 shooter! That is a beast.

Ok , back to chainsaws . Just a little inside info , not sure if anyone on this thread has met or had work done by Huskihl (Kevin). As advised , have a liking of old school saw Manufacturers . I just recently had Kevin woods port my 7900Prez2 . A very gracious & down to earth individual , with an abundance of saw knowledge . Anyhow , awesome work at a very reasonable price , so anyone needing saw upgrades Kevin should be a serious consideration , when I purchase my new 6100 Dolkita , Huskihl will be getting some repeat customer work !

Ok , back to chainsaws . Just a little inside info , not sure if anyone on this thread has met or had work done by Huskihl (Kevin). As advised , have a liking of old school saw Manufacturers . I just recently had Kevin woods port my 7900Prez2 . A very gracious & down to earth individual , with an abundance of saw knowledge . Anyhow , awesome work at a very reasonable price , so anyone needing saw upgrades Kevin should be a serious consideration , when I purchase my new 6100 Dolkita Huskihl will be getting some repeat customer work !
It’s all good it’s just easy to get mixed up talking about both at once. 😂

M1 carbine was not as effective of a round as m-1 Garand. But you should try a .30 carbine round through a 6 shooter! That is a beast.
I agree , I heard numerous stories from my Uncle of the carbine jamming due to sand & debris etc . Also the short round not having the ability to penetrate through dense brush & foliage .

Back