What size winch for log hauling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassmantweed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i am looking for guidance on what size electric winch to buy for hauling maybe 20 trees out of the woods. This would be done over months as I am chipping away at cleaning up my lot. In other words it won’t see day after day use. I’d prefer electric as I want it to be removable from my rear trailer hitch. I had a 12000 hydraulic winch years ago on my keep and it was quite impressive. I’d like a winch as dragging them out with my truck is destroying my lawn.

anyway, I have other plans for the winch so I’d like to get a smaller (4500) one built for utv’s if folks here think it will work.

thinking of this one.
WARN 101040 VRX 45-S Powersports Winch with Handlebar Mounted Switch and Synthetic Rope: 1/4" Diameter x 50' Length, 2.25 Ton (4,500 lb) Capacity
Here are some shots of the trees. Max diameter about 16”.
77C62BD7-E535-4FB3-BB9B-E1EC4753439C.jpeg

FFC3D04B-1354-4354-9677-4CCD8835A2D8.jpeg
2C8D42D4-24DB-4E38-BDB1-EEDE4642771B.jpeg

D435AAA1-7F2D-45F5-BBEF-30E7DBF79929.jpeg

We use a 12k one from northern tool to pull logs and direct trees that we are felling in tight conditions. Seems to work good. I think your only suppose to use 30-45 secs at a times then it needs to cool down for a few the directions say.

Most winches, the rating is for first or second wrap on the spool and then pulling strength goes down with each additional wrap. There’s also two different types, series wound and permanent magnet. I forget now which one is better. But yeah, you’re probably going to want something bigger and let it cool between pulls. If you’re not trying to get whole logs out to cut with a sawmill and just trying to get firewood, I’d probably consider cutting them into firewood rounds and haul them out with a cart. I did that at my property, dump cart behind the garden tractor

Back