What spare parts should a "full service" dealer have in stock?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This thread/rant is based on a disappointing parts run to a stihl dealer........

Last two days I've been cutting up EAB killed ash that finally fell out of the canopy for firewood. Want them chunked up, semi-split, stacked off the ground and covered on top, so they don't rot. Been using a 036 and 038M, both running 3/8 RS Stihl chains. Both the chains still cutting good but near end of life , filed almost to witness marks.

Was near end of day and turfed the chain on the 036. Figured would be a good time to call it quits, I have plenty of new spare chains..........go to dealer to pick up some rims for both saws (same rim) before they close then could put the 036 in the vise at home and file the chain. It never occurred to me to call in advance as this was a full service Stihl dealer, stocks everything from homeowner to the bigs saws, trimmers, etc......full service shop.........the plan being when the teeth start breaking off the chains (soon), I would then switch out the chains along w/new rim sprockets.

I get to dealer, ask parts man for Stihl med spline 7-pin 3/8 rims.
He asks for what saw?
036 and 038 same rim.
He goes to IPL for 038 and points out a spur sprocket....this one?
Nope, the 7-pin rim.
We don't stock those. WTF!!!

Sorry for the rant. But, in others opinions, what sort of small consumables should a dealer have in stock? Am I asking too much to have common rims in stock?

30 miles away near my other place, is a small saw shop ran by an old gentleman who has been working out of his small garage and basement for many years; he's a Stihl dealer too. He don't have a showroom full of saws, but He has a drawer full of various spur and rim sprockets. I'll be visiting him soon, and buy a couple extra rims.

The chain on the 036 was pretty beat up, mostly on one side, some teeth took 10 file strokes to clean up, but it's ready to go tomorrow. I don't think I'll get another sharpening, if need be I'll put the last worn chain back on until I can get some rims.

My Husky dealer doesn’t have everything either. But he would stock small spine 7 tooth .325 rims, small spline 7 tooth 3/8 rim, small spline 7-tooth .325 spur, large spline 3/8 7-tooth rim, large spline 3/8 8-tooth rim, and large spline 3/8 7-tooth spur at a minimum. That isn’t taking into account any .404 stuff, or other strange combinations like large spline .325 stuff that he might or might not have left over from who knows how long ago.

Then he’s got the small Mount laminate bars in .050 and .058 in 16”, 18”, and 20”. Also small-Mount solid RSN bars in .050” and .058” in 16”, 18” and 20”. Also large mount bars in .058” sized in 18”, 20”, 24”. He has to order anything larger or different gauge.

He has .325 0.50 chain in full comp and semi chisel, also 3/8 .050 chain in full comp, semi chisel, and semi skip, and also 3/8 .058 chain in full chisel, semi chisel, and semi skip. He used to have ripping chain and full skip in a few random configs but not any more.

Then there’s two different sizes of fuel hose, impulse hose, two thicknesses of starter rope, etc. Plus he needs to have at least 4 different sizes and types of spark plugs. And also the black winter .44um screen version of the air filter, the .25um screen version, and the flocked version.

And can you believe I went in there for a fuel filter and he didn’t have the right one for my saw?

sounds like my local dealer, walls and floor full of crap but anything needed is a week out and prices are sky high so i just online order everything

We have two other local "dealers", but they mostly just sell homeowner saws and don't even carry the "scarry" yellow chains. One was asking $9 for NGKs.

Its been a steady decline over the years of stocking any parts at all , there`s no money in stocking parts I have been told over and over by one dealer after the next. That is the reason they say that it takes so long to get a saw repaired, they just order as required and that can take weeks now for parts to come in. If one is serious about running saws for any reason its best to be your own stockroom. 15 years back we had a couple of dealers that stocked parts but as woods work changed over from chainsaws to mechanical harvesters the big stocking shops faded away and now only a couple of shops stock saws for sale off the shelf, next to nothing for replacement parts.

Its been a steady decline over the years of stocking any parts at all , there`s no money in stocking parts I have been told over and over by one dealer after the next. That is the reason they say that it takes so long to get a saw repaired, they just order as required and that can take weeks now for parts to come in. If one is serious about running saws for any reason its best to be your own stockroom. 15 years back we had a couple of dealers that stocked parts but as woods work changed over from chainsaws to mechanical harvesters the big stocking shops faded away and now only a couple of shops stock saws for sale off the shelf, next to nothing for replacement parts.
As I run all old saws I have begun building my own stock of parts. I have carb kits, impluse/fuel hoses, some of the gasket/seal sets, have replaced most air filters.......for a few when I found deals I have OEM pistons or P/C sets. Also try to have a parts carcass for each saw, those have saved me many times

For B/C setups I run 16" 0.325 on smaller saws, and 20 and 25" 3/8 on the bigger ones, also have one 28". They are all 3003 mount Stihls so I can mix and match. Years back there was a guy on ebay that had loops of Stihl RS chain $15 delivered. For the 16, 20, and 25" bars I still have 6-10 of each left. Sure glad I hoarded those.

I never thought getting rims would be an issue but those are getting added to my spares; small spline 0.325 and medium 3/8.

What other consumables are you guys stocking at home besides what has been mentioned? Plugs and bar nuts are a given. I need to get some fuel filters......

The parts dept. is usually pretty weak at many dealerships. They are usually run by the owner's son or nephew.
Same place I mentioned in first post above...............I asked about "milling chain".

"Yup we brought a roll of milling chain and made loops up!"

"Can I see some?"

"Sure"

"That's full chisel crosscut chain"

"No that's our milling chain"

"Compare that with a loop of Stihl RS, see much difference?"

He compares, then sheepish confused looks.

As I run all old saws I have begun building my own stock of parts. I have carb kits, impluse/fuel hoses, some of the gasket/seal sets, have replaced most air filters.......for a few when I found deals I have OEM pistons or P/C sets. Also try to have a parts carcass for each saw, those have saved me many times

For B/C setups I run 16" 0.325 on smaller saws, and 20 and 25" 3/8 on the bigger ones, also have one 28". They are all 3003 mount Stihls so I can mix and match. Years back there was a guy on ebay that had loops of Stihl RS chain $15 delivered. For the 16, 20, and 25" bars I still have 6-10 of each left. Sure glad I hoarded those.

I never thought getting rims would be an issue but those are getting added to my spares; small spline 0.325 and medium 3/8.

What other consumables are you guys stocking at home besides what has been mentioned? Plugs and bar nuts are a given. I need to get some fuel filters......
Only way I could see to roll, started about 15 years back for me and I do likewise, keep all common wear parts on hand for all my saws, spare OEM P&C sets in multiples. I have enough OEM parts for some models to build complete saws if needed. Last time I ordered $300. + of rim drives, clutches,springs for clutches and a handful of gaskets, it took them just over 6 months to come in, they blamed Covid. If my 044, MS440, 026, MS260 saws need a part there is everything there to replace or build a new saw from. Have enough chain for both models to last out my lifetime. Having mutiples of each model and keeping the lineup/herd to all one make things easier to keep parts on hand. Sure to keep the saws running when needed.

Roll of pull rope, Fuel and impulse line, clutch springs, 8mm-10mm E-clips, Spark plugs(I buy 10 pks for 30 bux), Starter Pawls, Clutch drum bearings, bar plate and bumper pads. I think that's most of the critical items.

Two issues here:

1. ‘Dealers’ who don’t know their products, or the parts they use.

2. Maintaining inventory.

My local STIHL dealer is 4th generation, family owned. But still mostly limits parts inventory to current, regularly used items. But they are busy enough that they usually get orders once or twice a week. Can still be disappointing, but they pointed out all the different part numbers, and variations, between similar items, for different saws.

Philbert

My local husqvarna dealer is super frustrating. Every time I order parts they get something wrong. A couple examples. My 359 I needed a new rim sprocket. So I was in there didn’t have the saw with me figured can’t be that hard. So I says I want a chain this many drivers and a rim sprocket for a 359. So he looks it up on the computer and says “that ones an odd size. I will have to order it” so I say ok. A week later I phone and ask if it’s in yet. “Yep came in 3 days ago”. So I go get it and I head home and go to put it on. Well it’s way to small. So I head back the next day and showed home the one I had. Oh you need the big one he says. Walks over to the back counter and grabs one. He comes back and says someone must have converted it to that size. I said there is no way the clutch drum for the too small sprocket would ever fit on the shaft. But I got the feeling he didn’t understand. Now when I got this saw the chain brake was buggered. So I had home price out all the guys for the brake assembly and a complete new cover. The new cover was almost 20 bucks more and I thought time is money and mine is kinda beat up so I said order the new cover. A while later they phone and say your parts are in well guess what they hand me a bunch of brake parts instead of a cover :dumb2:

We stock every sprocket, if it’s a spur sprocket we have one or two of each kind, rim sprocket we have multiple of small and big spline 7 and 8 tooth. As far as parts go we stock every part for every saw Stihl or Husqvarna that is needed for a tune up (fuel lines, tank vents, fuel filters, air filters, carb kits) we have fuel lines for an 056 or a 2100CD. We have carb kits for all old saws (Tilotson,Bing, etc) Any customer that comes in with a Stihl or Husqvarna saw can get whatever they need, we even have most ignitions for at least the pro saws.
I would hate having to wait on parts to do a tune up as a mechanic. My shop has it all in stock.

Latest posts

Back