What spare parts should a "full service" dealer have in stock?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been a steady decline over the years of stocking any parts at all , there`s no money in stocking parts I have been told over and over by one dealer after the next. That is the reason they say that it takes so long to get a saw repaired, they just order as required and that can take weeks now for parts to come in. If one is serious about running saws for any reason its best to be your own stockroom. 15 years back we had a couple of dealers that stocked parts but as woods work changed over from chainsaws to mechanical harvesters the big stocking shops faded away and now only a couple of shops stock saws for sale off the shelf, next to nothing for replacement parts.
I was floored when we talked about 3/8 rim sprockets that
were back ordered for ages !

I was floored when we talked about 3/8 rim sprockets that
were back ordered for ages !
Hi Keith, the last time I ordered a dozen rim drive sprockets it was 5 months before they even came in, there was a bit over $500. of parts in that order and the dealer could only say they were back ordered, finally they did come in and the dealer called, he wanted to know if I still wanted the stuff, if not then he could sell almost every part to others that were also waiting for parts to come in. Of course the whole mess was blamed on Covid, he told me that the warehouses had next to no one working in them to pick parts to begin with and that the whole shipping system was in chaos. The parts supply has been getting better though recently.

This thread/rant is based on a disappointing parts run to a stihl dealer........

Last two days I've been cutting up EAB killed ash that finally fell out of the canopy for firewood. Want them chunked up, semi-split, stacked off the ground and covered on top, so they don't rot. Been using a 036 and 038M, both running 3/8 RS Stihl chains. Both the chains still cutting good but near end of life , filed almost to witness marks.

Was near end of day and turfed the chain on the 036. Figured would be a good time to call it quits, I have plenty of new spare chains..........go to dealer to pick up some rims for both saws (same rim) before they close then could put the 036 in the vise at home and file the chain. It never occurred to me to call in advance as this was a full service Stihl dealer, stocks everything from homeowner to the bigs saws, trimmers, etc......full service shop.........the plan being when the teeth start breaking off the chains (soon), I would then switch out the chains along w/new rim sprockets.

I get to dealer, ask parts man for Stihl med spline 7-pin 3/8 rims.
He asks for what saw?
036 and 038 same rim.
He goes to IPL for 038 and points out a spur sprocket....this one?
Nope, the 7-pin rim.
We don't stock those. WTF!!!

Sorry for the rant. But, in others opinions, what sort of small consumables should a dealer have in stock? Am I asking too much to have common rims in stock?

30 miles away near my other place, is a small saw shop ran by an old gentleman who has been working out of his small garage and basement for many years; he's a Stihl dealer too. He don't have a showroom full of saws, but He has a drawer full of various spur and rim sprockets. I'll be visiting him soon, and buy a couple extra rims.

The chain on the 036 was pretty beat up, mostly on one side, some teeth took 10 file strokes to clean up, but it's ready to go tomorrow. I don't think I'll get another sharpening, if need be I'll put the last worn chain back on until I can get some rims.
This thread/rant is based on a disappointing parts run to a stihl dealer........

Last two days I've been cutting up EAB killed ash that finally fell out of the canopy for firewood. Want them chunked up, semi-split, stacked off the ground and covered on top, so they don't rot. Been using a 036 and 038M, both running 3/8 RS Stihl chains. Both the chains still cutting good but near end of life , filed almost to witness marks.

Was near end of day and turfed the chain on the 036. Figured would be a good time to call it quits, I have plenty of new spare chains..........go to dealer to pick up some rims for both saws (same rim) before they close then could put the 036 in the vise at home and file the chain. It never occurred to me to call in advance as this was a full service Stihl dealer, stocks everything from homeowner to the bigs saws, trimmers, etc......full service shop.........the plan being when the teeth start breaking off the chains (soon), I would then switch out the chains along w/new rim sprockets.

He asks for what saw?
036 and 038 same rim.
Nope, the 7-pin rim.

Sorry for the rant. But, in others opinions, what sort of small consumables should a dealer have in stock? Am I asking too much to have common rims in stock?

30 miles away near my other place, is a small saw shop ran by an old gentleman who has been working out of his small garage and basement for many years; he's a Stihl dealer too. He don't have a showroom full of saws, but He has a drawer full of various spur and rim sprockets. I'll be visiting him soon, and buy a couple extra rims.

The chain on the 036 was pretty beat up, mostly on one side, some teeth took 10 file strokes to clean up, but it's ready to go tomorrow. I don't think I'll get another sharpening, if need be I'll put the last worn chain back on until I can get some rims.
I truly do believe it's systemic with Stihl dealers. Most of them suck at having replacement parts I have two within 15 MI I wouldn't give you a rat's ass for either one of them. The one decent one is 50 miles.
Yes ,rims spurs, definitely chains( Not Green, Yellow) bars of course dollar nose/ sprocket nose tips would be nice instead of trying to sell you a new bar

I truly do believe it's systemic with Stihl dealers. Most of them suck at having replacement parts I have two within 15 MI I wouldn't give you a rat's ass for either one of them. The one decent one is 50 miles.
Yes ,rims spurs, definitely chains( Not Green, Yellow) bars of course dollar nose/ sprocket nose tips would be nice instead of trying to sell you a new bar
I agree that Stihl dealership are useless , when it comes to spares control . I purchased two Stihl saws back in the very early 80's . A ms 260 & then a ms 361 . Both saws were trouble free , however a few yrs later i was about to stock some perishable commodities , ignition switch , clutch drum & rim sprockets etc . After 3 phone calls & two trips to verify parts , i got fed up with Stihl's proprietary no disclousure policies . Since that day i have sourced all required parts online after serious due diligence . The only time i had any satisfaction was at a Husquarna / Stihl Dealership , were the proprieitor was an old school Husky Dealer for over 20 yrs & had just begun selling & servicing Stihl product . I have never entered a Stihl dealership since !

The best Stihl dealer we had has since retired at 75. He had a small place located in his garage. He did repair work in a shop set up in his cellar. Had one employee who did parts when the owner had days off, or doing repairs, but he was also a competent mechanic.

They stocked most all bars/chains/sprockets and wear parts and small repair parts like carb kits. Stuff ordered came in quickly. They also stocked stuff he knew people wore out or broke from years in the business.

The shop was excellent. Had a nice set ups for: refurbishing bars, making loops of chain, sharpening, vac/pressure testing, etc. Most all the special tools. Turnover was quick too on repairs. He spin you a chain right then if he didn't have other customers waiting.

I remember bringing in a 036 that needed seals. It was cleaned inside and had the flywheel and clutch already off. I ordered a gasket set from him. In a few days the parts were in and installed. Labor was $15.

He asks for what saw?
036 and 038 same rim.
Nope, the 7-pin rim.

What the heck did he have if not a 7t? 😕

Sprockets, spark plugs, filters, common chains, common bars, etc., should be ‘no-brainers’. Otherwise, dealers are sending us to on-line sources (if we have to wait a week anyway).

Doing some storm damage cleanup, several years ago, and needed a sprocket and bar tension screw for a MS460. Found a big box style STIHL dealer who only wanted to sell us an entire clutch kit (clutch, clutch drum, sprocket; might have included needle bearing, washer, ‘e’-clip too?).

We still would have to wait 3 days, by which time, we were already gone. We ‘made do’.

Another time I needed a replacement nose sprocket for a common STIHL bar. Local shop said they had to order it: too many different models to stock them all (?).

Said most guys just buy a new bar, because the RSN was $24, + labor for the shop to install, + they didn’t want to wait.

Good news was they gave me a sweet deal on an identical bar another guy left behind, when he bought the new one!

Philbert

You are assuming that you order what you need and get it in a reasonable time. Just started getting better.
Unfortunately I am one of the "old" guys you talk about. No one is coming to work to take my place. Parts pricing? Let's see what extra charge on the invoice we get next week.
Talking with an established Husqvarna dealer, the situation is the same.

FWIW, I've got those rims in stock and I don't sell saws, saw parts, or anything else for that matter. I'm wondering if the dealer really understood what you were looking for if he initially offered you a spur sprocket. Normally, if I'm getting parts from my dealer, I have to turn their monitor around so I can see it and point out what I'm looking for because they don't know enough about how a saw works in order to understand what part someone is looking for.

Normally, if I'm getting parts from my dealer, I have to turn their monitor around so I can see it and point out what I'm looking for because they don't know enough about how a saw works in order to understand what part someone is looking for.
Sad, but true at some dealerships.

I once brought in a rim sprocket to an established ECHO dealer. The person behind the counter asked, ‘What is THAT?’

Philbert

If you have dealers stocking anything consider yourself lucky. None of the dealers here stock anything now but bars and chains. Saws are under 70cc. Parts 🤣 no rims, no nothing period.

Stihl wonders why they keep loosing market shares to others with in house parts changers, no stock and no knowledge of tools. Great business plan but hey they like dealership buy-in. Give us 100k and we will provide you with stock to sell. It will continue to be more Ace Hardware stores, 😔

Back