What tests would you want to see on a battery powered top handle saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey_Bravo

Tool Box Buzz Crew
Reaction score
Hell Everyone,

I am a member here who has always hung out in the Chainsaw and Firewood Heating sections. I have been working with a website Tool Box Buzz doing reviews on tools given my construction background. However I am a chainsaw nut and love using and learning more about saws. I recently hosted a Head-2-Head comparison test where we evaluated twelve different cordless battery powered chainsaws. After the testing was completed we named a winner and also did a full article as well as a YouTube video to discuss the results. I followed up with a discussion thread here at AS to get feedback from the forum members.

Tool Box Buzz Article

Arboristsite Discussion

After speaking with some of the manufacturers who participated in our first test, they are interested in doing a follow up test where we compare battery powered top handle saws. Given the designed purpose of the saws and the intended customers, this would be a heavily pro user focused comparison. I would ideally like to delve deeper into the potential productivity of these saws with things like timed battery recharges and also breaking down startup investment costs.

Additionally, I want to design some performance tests that really appeal to a professional audience. What kind of testing would you guys like to see? What would you want to see these saws do before you would be willing to invest the money in purchasing one?

Any and all feedback you guys may have to offer would be greatly appreciated. I am just now trying to start figuring out the logistics of a test like this.

Test the increase in battery temp. Mine got so hot I thought it might catch fire. But, I was running a DeWalt battery on a Makita with an adapter.
I think an electrical engineer somewhere just had an aneurism reading this.

Do you guys have the instrumentation to objectively measure chain speed and torque, compared to the popular STIHL, Husqvarna, and ECHO gas models?

I would also like to see variations between OEM chains minimized by using identical chains, if possible.
We do not have the instrumentation for that, but I will ask the manufacturers if they can assist in any way.

I agree on the chains too. I did not do this with the other comparison due to the vast range in OEM chain size. It would absolutely be warranted in this test.

Do you guys think doing a run time (cookie cutter) test and a timed speed test are still valuable?

Practice tests. Take an 8" oak railroad tie (green) and see how many biscuits you can cut on a single battery at 70 degrees and 20 degrees air temp. Charge the batteries, leave them overnight, and repeat test. If the manufacturer will allow destructive testing see how they handle 3 to 6' drops.

Do you guys think doing a run time (cookie cutter) test and a timed speed test are still valuable?
Chain speed (feet/minute) should be easy to get. How much they can take before stalling out / overloading might be subjective.

A key thing is the type and size of wood. IMO, these saws are best in 4 to 6 inch diameter, green wood. Maybe a bit larger in softwood. So test them in a variety of wood sizes and types; some might do better in certain situations.

Top handled saws are intended for arborists, and shorter bars, so a firewood test is not really appropriate. Speed, power, and balance are. Maybe have one of the popular, top handled gas saws to serve as a comparison, since that is what they will be judged against.

Philbert

Of course cutting speed, but how is that affected by battery power level? Does it slow as the level drops or does it maintain the same speed/power until it doesn't have the power to run ?
Battery life- how long it will cut matters but how many times can you recharge before runtime starts to drop, and how long does it take to recharge? If you overload the battery too many times will it be damaged?
How does conventional safety gear hold up to the electric saws? Are chaps as effective as they should be?

We have several Husqvarna T540iXP (6), and we have several Stihl MS201TC, (12). We recently had a demo of the new Husqvarna T540iXP against a brand new Stihl MS201TC, both were new with a never used chain and ran side by side and time on video, several times. Although the battery did get pretty warm, the Husqvarna out preformed the Stihl every time, I was shock and could not believe, but I was there. Also the Husqvarna has a couple more cc's than the Stihl and the Stihl has far less chain speed, Needless to say, we will be purchasing these. We live in a big city where noise and pollution run the environment, so battery equipment is a thing we have to convert to eventually. Bottom line, I love the Husqvarna.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day! :cool:

We have several Husqvarna T540iXP (6), and we have several Stihl MS201TC, (12). We recently had a demo of the new Husqvarna T540iXP against a brand new Stihl MS201TC, both were new with a never used chain and ran side by side and time on video, several times. Although the battery did get pretty warm, the Husqvarna out preformed the Stihl every time, I was shock and could not believe, but I was there. Also the Husqvarna has a couple more cc's than the Stihl and the Stihl has far less chain speed, Needless to say, we will be purchasing these. We live in a big city where noise and pollution run the environment, so battery equipment is a thing we have to convert to eventually. Bottom line, I love the Husqvarna.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day! :cool:
Yes, I agree. A new TH king has arrrived and it’s orange, and green

Philbert, yes it was, it just came out this year, a different battery although you could still use any battery that Husqvarna makes, they all work on everything, but yes a different battery and more aggressive, we kept it for a couple days to demo on our own, we had three large palms with full skirts, the saw was fully charged and last full blast for 1 hour continuously, we had a back up battery, but finished with the Stihl. We put it thru a tough job, but if it was a simple job of pruning all day, the reults would be more favorable, like I said, we wanted to put it thru hell and we were impressed.
Jeff

I'd have to think a battery top handle would be right down your alley.
I've got an 18V Makita. Keep looking at the Husqvarna, but don't need to be spending more cash right now...just bought land earlier this year and waiting on builder to get to my barn (already have signed contract...), so really should be pinching pennies until that is wrapped up.

I don't disagree, but curious why you thought it is down my alley?

I've got an 18V Makita. Keep looking at the Husqvarna, but don't need to be spending more cash right now...just bought land earlier this year and waiting on builder to get to my barn (already have signed contract...), so really should be pinching pennies until that is wrapped up.

I don't disagree, but curious why you thought it is down my alley?

How's the Makita? I understand that, priorities come first.

Having an emphasis on pruning over removals. I guess it probably has it's place in removals as well. I'm pretty interested myself but between a Silky and a two smoker I certainly don't need one.

The Makita is nice. It is a good "tweener "on stuff that just a little bit big for the Silky but not quite big enough to bring up the gasser. So if there is a handful of 5 to 10 in diameter limbs I will use that. Too many of those get close to 10" and I'll use a gas saw. It is not going to give you all day service. We're really is nice is when you are hanging in some precarious position and it is hard enough to get two hands on the saw let alone hold it steady to pool is starter cord... With this push a button pull back the brake and squeeze the trigger!

we also try not to start a chainsaw before 9:00 a.m. if we are near a neighbor's house. Having the battery saw helps us get moving on those things without being too loud.

So overall I would recommend it for pruning work... But it is certainly not a replacement for a 25 to 35 cc gas saw like the Husqvarna is supposed to be.

Hell Everyone,

I am a member here who has always hung out in the Chainsaw and Firewood Heating sections. I have been working with a website Tool Box Buzz doing reviews on tools given my construction background. However I am a chainsaw nut and love using and learning more about saws. I recently hosted a Head-2-Head comparison test where we evaluated twelve different cordless battery powered chainsaws. After the testing was completed we named a winner and also did a full article as well as a YouTube video to discuss the results. I followed up with a discussion thread here at AS to get feedback from the forum members.

Tool Box Buzz Article

Arboristsite Discussion

After speaking with some of the manufacturers who participated in our first test, they are interested in doing a follow up test where we compare battery powered top handle saws. Given the designed purpose of the saws and the intended customers, this would be a heavily pro user focused comparison. I would ideally like to delve deeper into the potential productivity of these saws with things like timed battery recharges and also breaking down startup investment costs.

Additionally, I want to design some performance tests that really appeal to a professional audience. What kind of testing would you guys like to see? What would you want to see these saws do before you would be willing to invest the money in purchasing one?

Any and all feedback you guys may have to offer would be greatly appreciated. I am just now trying to start figuring out the logistics of a test like this.

Might want to work on brand pronouciation.

Husk-varn-a
Not Hus-ka-varn-a

Makeeter
Reeobee

Latest posts

Back