What tests would you want to see on a battery powered top handle saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have several Husqvarna T540iXP (6), and we have several Stihl MS201TC, (12). We recently had a demo of the new Husqvarna T540iXP against a brand new Stihl MS201TC, both were new with a never used chain and ran side by side and time on video, several times. Although the battery did get pretty warm, the Husqvarna out preformed the Stihl every time, I was shock and could not believe, but I was there. Also the Husqvarna has a couple more cc's than the Stihl and the Stihl has far less chain speed, Needless to say, we will be purchasing these. We live in a big city where noise and pollution run the environment, so battery equipment is a thing we have to convert to eventually. Bottom line, I love the Husqvarna.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day! :cool:

Jeff, the battery husky beat the gas stihl? I have a battery stihl and its not close to my 201. Its not weak but my 201 is powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d put them at least level guts wise, perhaps with the advantage just going to the Husqvarna...but then you factor in the peace, quiet and the associated benefits and Husqvarna is the new ultimate

It sure did, I was suprised! Also the chain speed is greater. I will see if I can get the video. Remember, this is the new 540i XP. It is equivalent to a 40cc chainsaw. Here,,https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/540i-xp/967864014/
Jeff :cheers:
It was a beautiful day!

I barely run my gas top handle anymore. I ordered a ms 220 cb to hopefully do most of what my 562 is doing now. I dont mind the slower cut of the battery saw. Its only a few seconds if at all. They are worth it! I hope stihl comes out with a rival to this 540i. I actually think the backpack battery pack from stihl could be mounted in a bucket if needed. With that battery, you could run a pretty large saw.

What matters more to you guys:

A saw with the largest battery pack possible to provide the most run time even though it adds weight?

Or

A saw with a mid range battery pack to save weight but take a bit of a loss in runtime?

A saw with the largest battery pack possible to provide the most run time even though it adds weight?
Or A saw with a mid range battery pack to save weight but take a bit of a loss in runtime?
I vote for a well balanced tool, recognizing that multiple battery packs are required for use. The size and location of the battery are both important. Those backpack batteries are an extreme example of Ahs, and might make sense for someone string trimming a whole state park, but not practical for many other applications. That said, using higher quality battery cells to increase the run time without adding weight would always be welcome.

Philbert

Are you familiar with the Kill A Watt Meter? http://www.p3international.com/products/P4400.html

I don't have one but some guys on the battery motorcycle sites have these things.
Seems the way to really know if and how much your battery is degrading, measure how much it takes to recharge it. It is also quite common to claim a certain amount of energy by multiplying the peak voltage by the amp hours when in fact the voltage is dropping. Just like horsepower for gasoline chainsaws which seems totally absent in this product class stuff who knows what the rounding decimal is and how many times during the calculation are things rounded.

I am not commercial. I am curious about the pole saws like the Husky one that has the motor direct drive on the sprocket and if the long coiled cord I see in the ipl inside the tube for the extendable version makes for less power and by how much.

Fran

You mean one of these?
16039304483714688127947861810891.jpg
This one can take 130 amp draw, shows in watt, volts, amps, amp hr, and a few other things I cant remember. I think it was rated up to 48 volts. Use it to meter my lipo cells for my rc rigs.
16039306860158391443360218937213.jpg
I'm not sure but I think there was a 300 amp model as well, just a bit bigger then this one.

I put a link to the original it has a plug for 120 volt, one would plug the charger into it. Chances are there are ones for 240 volts for the European market. Other similar show up in an internet search first likely because they pay. Measure power into the charger.

IMO: -
Step 1 - get the weight of the saw under 3.5kg
Step 2 - give it the longest possible battery life without the weight of the saw exceeding 3.5kg

We're really is nice is when you are hanging in some precarious position and it is hard enough to get two hands on the saw let alone hold it steady to pool is starter cord...

Those are usually the positions where your nads are being pulled in two separate directions as well. Lovely.

Hell Everyone,

I am a member here who has always hung out in the Chainsaw and Firewood Heating sections. I have been working with a website Tool Box Buzz doing reviews on tools given my construction background. However I am a chainsaw nut and love using and learning more about saws. I recently hosted a Head-2-Head comparison test where we evaluated twelve different cordless battery powered chainsaws. After the testing was completed we named a winner and also did a full article as well as a YouTube video to discuss the results. I followed up with a discussion thread here at AS to get feedback from the forum members.

Tool Box Buzz Article

Arboristsite Discussion

After speaking with some of the manufacturers who participated in our first test, they are interested in doing a follow up test where we compare battery powered top handle saws. Given the designed purpose of the saws and the intended customers, this would be a heavily pro user focused comparison. I would ideally like to delve deeper into the potential productivity of these saws with things like timed battery recharges and also breaking down startup investment costs.

Additionally, I want to design some performance tests that really appeal to a professional audience. What kind of testing would you guys like to see? What would you want to see these saws do before you would be willing to invest the money in purchasing one?

Any and all feedback you guys may have to offer would be greatly appreciated. I am just now trying to start figuring out the logistics of a test like this.

Let’s see a drop test.

maybe do a poll on how many feet from the ground you should start with.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/is_lithium_ion_the_ideal_battery
There is a lot of information on li-ion batteries out there. Cycle durability of 400 to 1200 cycles. That’s a wide range. What are claimed?

Consumer price. Watt hour/ $cost for the battery.

Can it be taken on an airplane?

Temperature of operation. How is it affected by temperature extremes. Operation, storage and charging.

Are batteries microchipped to prevent generic replacements.

It may be found that batteries are batteries are batteries, but their is a lot of tech in their use and construction.

My impact driver is well used. The battery contacts are worn and cause momentary power loss while in use. Irritating at the moment.

More info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Latest posts

Back