What to buy 2 stihl vs 1 husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw to purchase

• Ms462

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • 572 xp

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • 500i

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

bluemachine27

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First post here, so I’m trying to decide on which saw to buy. I will be using it to fell trees on my property and other peoples, friends and family and sometimes others. I have a ms201 and a 562 xp. All we run at work is stihl so it’s a little bit of a nice change to use a husky. I love the high revving motor. As much as I love the saw, I would like a bigger one for felling trees because a 20 inch bar just doesn’t cut the mustard for the big oaks around here, yes it can be done but I also like the right tool for the job. I’m thinking of a 462 or a 572xp, would like reliability and power. I love the 500i but I think the price is a little bit steep. So does anyone have any insight on how those two compare? And any known issues with either one? I must add I’m a little partial to stihl because I’ve used them for years at work and they have proven themselves extremely reliable,i but the I love how the 562 screams up top in the rpm. Weight isn’t a huge factor but obviously lighter is better.

First post here, so I’m trying to decide on which saw to buy. I will be using it to fell trees on my property and other peoples, friends and family and sometimes others. I have a ms201 and a 562 xp. All we run at work is stihl so it’s a little bit of a nice change to use a husky. I love the high revving motor. As much as I love the saw, I would like a bigger one for felling trees because a 20 inch bar just doesn’t cut the mustard for the big oaks around here, yes it can be done but I also like the right tool for the job. I’m thinking of a 462 or a 572xp, would like reliability and power. I love the 500i but I think the price is a little bit steep. So does anyone have any insight on how those two compare? And any known issues with either one? I must add I’m a little partial to stihl because I’ve used them for years at work and they have proven themselves extremely reliable,i but the I love how the 562 screams up top in the rpm. Weight isn’t a huge factor but obviously lighter is better.
Get the 500i. After a year, you won't miss the couple hundred bucks extra, and you will enjoy the power and the light weight.

If you mean "last" longer, yes a beefier crank will last longer. As far as the saw goes, probably not, as piston, rings, cylinder, and everything else, will likely die before a crank. YMMV.
Also, since the 500i has 16% more power than the 572, you will cut more wood in a year. It also weighs about 3/4 lb less. Not a big deal, but over several hours, it makes a difference for operator fatigue.

Lol I’ve got huskys that last just as long as stihls if not longer. They both make a great product. You seem to forget the 462 is basically a clone design off the 562. And yes weight is nice but I can’t stand when I pick up a 70cc class saw with 24” light bar and it’s nose heavy bad. It’s just annoying to carry. And yes I have owned a 500 and have 2 462. All these saws are great but for the extra money I can’t justify the stihl especially when I get awesome deals on husky and most stihl dealers won’t come off msrp. I just prefer the balance of husky saws over my stihls. And not sure if you guys know stihl did an update on the 462 they were starting to see piston issues, I am glad that they are addressing the issue. I’ve got an older style and it hasn’t given me any issues however.

Here is what I mean by balance. This is my 562 “60cc saw with light weight 24” vs 462 70cc 24/25” light weight. Not a bad thing to be nose heavy I just love husky balance. The stihl handle will lay flat on the ground without the bar on and look like the husky does in the pic. But with the bar you can see how the whole saw is leaning forward and the back of the handle is off the ground.

Attachments

• AE564DCE-1A0F-4BD3-B83F-B7D479CCBA98.jpeg
    AE564DCE-1A0F-4BD3-B83F-B7D479CCBA98.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • F9EF9065-0918-4E5F-BBAB-5850C0465EED.jpeg
    F9EF9065-0918-4E5F-BBAB-5850C0465EED.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 17
  • 8AAF3C78-CFD9-4687-9A7D-F136204FBCB3.jpeg
    8AAF3C78-CFD9-4687-9A7D-F136204FBCB3.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 15
  • ACAB6E20-6D98-46DF-A815-CAE3392404A8.jpeg
    ACAB6E20-6D98-46DF-A815-CAE3392404A8.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 6A00AEE1-4488-4632-8EED-B21DCEA4E6EE.jpeg
    6A00AEE1-4488-4632-8EED-B21DCEA4E6EE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
Lol I’ve got huskys that last just as long as stihls if not longer. They both make a great product. You seem to forget the 462 is basically a clone design off the 562. And yes weight is nice but I can’t stand when I pick up a 70cc class saw with 24” light bar and it’s nose heavy bad. It’s just annoying to carry. And yes I have owned a 500 and have 2 462. All these saws are great but for the extra money I can’t justify the stihl especially when I get awesome deals on husky and most stihl dealers won’t come off msrp. I just prefer the balance of husky saws over my stihls. And not sure if you guys know stihl did an update on the 462 they were starting to see piston issues, I am glad that they are addressing the issue. I’ve got an older style and it hasn’t given me any issues however.
If you are a pro and getting paid for your time, the extra cost will be more than made up in increased work output.

If I had another complaint, the 500 gas consumption man they really like to drink! Honestly all in all these three saws will do everything you need and then some. It all depends on how you like balance and how much you want to spend.
I think the idea that the 500i uses more fuel is a myth. It has a smaller tank than most of its competition, so it runs out of fuel in less time. But while it is running, it cuts more, so I believe the fuel used per amount of cutting done is actually slightly less than on most of its competition. My previous saw was a Stihl MS441C. It ran about 45 minutes on a tank the way I normally used it. My 500i only runs 35 minutes. But it cuts more in those 35 minutes than the 441 did in 45.

I hear ya on the smaller tank mine is just simply based on how often I have to make mix for it. It’s a bigger cc saw but it seems to drink like my 395. As for time I know what you mean they are all so close in the cut it just depends on The situation and size of wood for what saw I need to get it done the fastest. And from the o P original post it sounded like to me he was planning on using this saw at home for the most part.

Do any of you have hot start issues with the Husqvarna?
I was this summer, and bought the 500i, thinking fuel injection might be less frustrating, and it was.
I like feel of the 562 xp over the 500i, but I cut 100% on a log deck for firewood, both with 18" bars.
18" is sometimes a little short for noodling with the 500i spikes.IMG_3557.jpg

Back