What to buy 2 stihl vs 1 husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw to purchase

• Ms462

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • 572 xp

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • 500i

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
The older husky did have some hot start issues, I only had it happen to me once and the weather was 95 and ran two tanks straight thru a 2016 model 562. My dealer told me to flip the choke up then down and not hit the throttle activating the high idle then try to start and this took care of that if I shut it off and had to refire that day. I have not had a hot start issue on a 2019 and up auto tune not saying there are some out there that have.

I have the 500i and the 572xp. They’re both really nice saws. The 500i picks up chain speed much faster. The 572 has a better anti vibe IMO. The 500 feels more nimble which I’ll hand it to Stihl on, they’re generally more chunky feeling. Between the two the 572 feels more chunky in my hands. If I could only own one I’d probably take the 500i. Haven’t run a 462, I can’t justify another 70cc saw.

I was hoping all the opinions would be one sided but it’s pretty much split down the middle between the 500i and the 572. I’ve never ran a 572, but the 500 is probably the best saw I have ever ran. It’s a tough decision because of how much I like my husky. I think it’s going to boil down to when I go to the dealer, how much the actual price difference is, if I can get the husky for close to a grand with a 24 inch bar and the 500 is 1400 I’ll go with husky but if it’s going to be only a 200$ difference, I’ll end up with the stihl. I’m very surprised that on the votes there aren’t more 462s, everything I’ve read is that they are the best saw out there, and they even out cut the 500 on buckin billy ray YouTube channel

The 572 top case also has some kind of space shuttle insulator material that goes between the carb and the cylinder. It’s supposed to slam the door on any hot start issues.

If I were in your position though, I’d probably get a second 562 and put a 24” on it. That way you have part commonality if something goes down.

It’s just a lot of excitement on the 500i and for good reason. I own the 462 and love it. I would like to have the 500 to but I don’t need it. I also kinda want a 461 😆 Hopefully the wife doesn’t notice the saws adding up in the garage.

The 572 top case also has some kind of space shuttle insulator material that goes between the carb and the cylinder. It’s supposed to slam the door on any hot start issues.

If I were in your position though, I’d probably get a second 562 and put a 24” on it. That way you have part commonality if something goes down.
I think a 24 inch bar is a little much for that 562 to be pulling. I wouldn’t really plan on the saw breaking down even though it does happen. I’ve seen so many pro saws last such a long time with no issues that counting on one going down isn’t really in the question. Unless husqvarna is different than stihl with reliability but from what I’ve heard is they are both pretty close in reliability

If they both weighed the same I would buy a 572. The 572 has much better av and will handle a 36 in bar. Much better factory dogs on the west coast version too.
That being said I tend to grab a 462 if I don't need to run a 36in bar. If you're just cutting hardwood go with the 500i...

Maybe it's just me, but the 500I has no appeal. Port injection on a two stroke isn't much, if any advantage over a Mtronic carb equipped saw. The down side are all the gremlins that pop up on a complex saw like the 500I. No thanks!
Same thought here. If the opinion of someone on the internets who has never even held a 500i saw counts for anything (that’s me). I would be surprised if it’s not a seriously sweet tool. Stihl has surely put a lot of work into it, knowing that it‘s a technology they’re going to need in the future, and they don’t want to wet the bed they’re going to have to sleep in.

All that said, it’s still an early adopter choice.

Borrowed a friends 500i for a day of heavy cutting on steep ground. Was running my 372 the previous day. Went back to my 372 the next day by choice and have since sold the 372 because my 562 does everything I need cutting on steep ground until I need a bigger saw and then I have the 390 at hand. Never once wished to own the 500i even after running for the day. For whatever that’s worth.

Borrowed a friends 500i for a day of heavy cutting on steep ground. Was running my 372 the previous day. Went back to my 372 the next day by choice and have since sold the 372 because my 562 does everything I need cutting on steep ground until I need a bigger saw and then I have the 390 at hand. Never once wished to own the 500i even after running for the day. For whatever that’s worth.
The 562 is a bad ass saw. Loved the one I had. I always thought the 562 I had would best the Ms440. Never owned or ran both at the same time though.
The 372xp old edition is my all time favorite saw. No warts on it and I tried many other saws while logging. Always went back to the 372.

The 562 is a bad ass saw. Loved the one I had. I always thought the 562 I had would best the Ms440. Never owned or ran both at the same time though.
The 372xp old edition is my all time favorite saw. No warts on it and I tried many other saws while logging. Always went back to the 372.
My 372 was a new one, I’m sure that makes a difference. I hear the old ones are better.

That’s where I’m at, if the 572 runs like my 562 I think that’s the saw I want. With a good edge on it, the thing rips, I really would just like a bigger version of it to pull a 24 inch bar. The stihls are noticeably lighter and they last and from what I’ve noticed using them everyday is that they start easier, my husky definitely requires more pulling to get going, idk if it’s jetting or just the type of carb, the 500i starts 2 pulls from cold and 1 pull after that. It’s a tough decision.

I’ve never run a ported saw, but it’s hard to imagine needing it with how strong and zippy the 572 is. I keep hearing the porting guys saying husky is starting to do what they’ve been doing. Buy a few extra chains to keep in rotation. A couple sprockets, extra filter, carb gaskets…

Latest posts

Back