What to charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softdown

There is only Ingsoc.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Yesterday:
1) Ice broke a 2" roof top plumbing vent. The rubber boot is also cut. Requires my bucket truck and removing one steel roof piece to gain access to rubber boot. Doing steel roof work from a bucket is not the safest thing in the world but can likely be done by a tall person.
2) Lots of knocked over trees by a major wind storm. Requires at least a fork lift to move the root balls into a dump trailer. Then a 65 mile trip to a land fill. I figure some root balls will be easy enough and some will be a challenge without an excavator or large loader.
3) Routine falling, limbing and bucking then transport to customers log splitter. Customer used to do this himself but recent shoulder surgery now prevents that.

Currently thinking/wondering:
1) $250 to set up bucket truck after hour long drive. Then $95/hour to work from bucket on steel roof.
2) $95/hour for forklift assisted removal of root balls to dump trailer. $250 to drive 65 miles to dump and unload very large dump trailer (figuring dump fees of $100-150). I'd charge more but curious about unloading root balls at out of town dump that was recommended.
3) $50/hour for falling. limbing, bucking, taking limbs to slash pile, and fireplace sized logs to customers log splitter.

Colorado rural is average in living expenses. Time of year proposes possibly less than ideal weather in the mountains. But plenty of work here and pleasant customer who was referred by a familar realtor and his neighbor.

I used to charge more per hour with my last business but I had years of experience in an uncommon field and I was really, really fast.

Yesterday:
1) Ice broke a 2" roof top plumbing vent. The rubber boot is also cut. Requires my bucket truck and removing one steel roof piece to gain access to rubber boot. Doing steel roof work from a bucket is not the safest thing in the world but can likely be done by a tall person.
2) Lots of knocked over trees by a major wind storm. Requires at least a fork lift to move the root balls into a dump trailer. Then a 65 mile trip to a land fill. I figure some root balls will be easy enough and some will be a challenge without an excavator or large loader.
3) Routine falling, limbing and bucking then transport to customers log splitter. Customer used to do this himself but recent shoulder surgery now prevents that.

Currently thinking/wondering:
1) $250 to set up bucket truck after hour long drive. Then $95/hour to work from bucket on steel roof.
2) $95/hour for forklift assisted removal of root balls to dump trailer. $250 to drive 65 miles to dump and unload very large dump trailer (figuring dump fees of $100-150). I'd charge more but curious about unloading root balls at out of town dump that was recommended.
3) $50/hour for falling. limbing, bucking, taking limbs to slash pile, and fireplace sized logs to customers log splitter.

Colorado rural is average in living expenses. Time of year proposes possibly less than ideal weather in the mountains. But plenty of work here and pleasant customer who was referred by a familar realtor and his neighbor.

I used to charge more per hour with my last business but I had years of experience in an uncommon field and I was really, really fast.
Sounds complicated and hard to track. May surprise customer. I would average them out and charge one hourly rate for everything plus dump fees and materials. I hope you can find a place closer than 65 miles to dump. Many tree companies charge 60-100 per man hour

Back