What to do about persistent poachers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a poultry farm in the area or friends with a grocer? Putrid eggs work great, I've used them in my garden for deer, chucks and rabbits. You could spray some on the deer stands too, maybe add a dead roadkill skunk.....

That's what commercial deer repellent is made from. I was working for a company that developed that commercially about 40 years ago. Look at the ingredients for any of the commercial deer repellents, and it will say something about putrefied eggs. And, yes, it does work well!

DNA tests are expensive.
nope less than 100 USD for two sets. thats the average when you send in paternity tests... My old boss used to be a certified whatever (I have no clue the title) He took samples and sent them in for paternity cases between sailors and bar hookers.

Just a comment on the "Citiots" comment. That's a two-way street. I hunt public land and it seems like every landowner touching it claims the bordering public land as his. They put up stands early, take them down late or leave them there forever. Some mow the woods thirty feet past their property lines and some mow trails and picnic areas where I could be hunting. In Michigan if you don't hunt then you aren't paying for the state land as it's funded by license sales. Bottom line there are jerks on both sides of the fence, but most people want to do the right thing.
The "Citiots" that come up here can hunt anywhere but seem to be afraid of the woods so they get as close to a house as they can and hunt as close to my house as possible.....the state just manages it the don't pay for it and they sell the lumber too...the state land around me is tax forfeit land that the old loggers "bought", raped and didn't pay for or pay the taxes....If I wasn't an Ahole they would walk right through my field to get to a stand right on the line and have it pointed at my land....BUT non of them actually "WALK" anywhere they drive their little 4-ups and seem to love spinning up the middle of the road...The people that are by me come with 6 campers, 6 generators and at least 12-4-wheelers...

nope less than 100 USD for two sets. thats the average when you send in paternity tests... My old boss used to be a certified whatever (I have no clue the title) He took samples and sent them in for paternity cases between sailors and bar hookers.
$100 to most people isn't much money. That amount to a town is a lot when the results may not yield anything. Most of the excess money in the town goes for Narcan kits to keep the junkies alive.

I deal with this a tiny bit on my 40, jealous of your 400. Document everything. If the warden declines to write a ticket that’s fine, keep a record. It sounds like you’ll have plenty of records in short order. Take those in front of a judge and get a trespassing injunction, if they trespass it’s straight to jail for contempt of court. You’ve gotta get your cameras up as pointed out earlier. Can you high wire fence the boundary with them? If so, that a burplap are a ***** to get through. I’d be pouring silica down the engine oil fill of anyone I suspected of killing my dog and that’s the tame version of me.

Two brothers that I went to school with went hunting before school one morning. The younger 17 year old brother stayed outside the thicket while his 3 year older brother went in the thicket to flush the deer out. After a few minutes the younger brother saw movement in the brush (always be sure of your target and what lies beyond) and unloads both barrels. He hits his brother sideways thru the butt cheeks with 13 or 14 pellets. I'm surprised it didn't give him brain damage.
Like his older brother?

Never been to America I take it? I don't think you realize that many things are different from what you may be used to. There is no reason you can't hunt near the boundaries between public and private land as long as you follow the rules and distances prescribed in the hunting laws and follow basic gun safety protocols. If you know how to shoot and how to set up your equipment, 100 yards + is not a problem.
You might be thinking of the perhaqps .00001% of firearms owners I venture to say.... dangerous shooter are loaded with excuses, like all psychopaths. ..the first is 'why I need/must own a firearm. That goes for large property owner also....when owning a firearm is a rite-of passage made into a right of passage others suffer the consequences.

Catch them once then what would they have for defense if caught again?
You can put this on internet to read the rest....Ths refers also to US law....maybe read it slowly and closely.

Trespass to Land​

In modern law the word trespass is used most commonly to describe the intentional and wrongful invasion of another's real property. An action for trespass can be maintained by the owner or anyone else who has a lawful right to occupy the real property, such as the owner of an apartment building, a tenant, or a member of the tenant's family. The action can be maintained against anyone who interferes with the right of ownership or possession, whether the invasion is by a person or by something that a person has set in motion. For example, a hunter who enters fields where hunting is forbidden is a trespasser, and so is a company that throws rocks onto neighboring land when it is blasting.

Every unlawful entry onto another's property is trespass, even if no harm is done to the property. A person who has a right to come onto the land may become a trespasser by committing wrongful acts after entry. For example, a mail carrier has a privilege to walk up the sidewalk at a private home but is not entitled to go through the front door. A person who enters property with permission but stays after he has been told to leave also commits a trespass. Moreover, an intruder cannot defend himself in a trespass action by showing that the plaintiff did not have a completely valid legal right to the property. The reason for all of these rules is that the action of trespass exists to prevent breaches of the peace by protecting the quiet possession of real property.

In a trespass action, the plaintiff does not have to show that the defendant intended to trespass but only that she intended to do whatever caused the trespass. It is no excuse that the trespasser mistakenly believed that she was not doing wrong or that she did not understand the wrong. A child can be a trespasser, as can a person who thought that she was on her own land.

Injury to the property is not necessary for the defendant to be guilty of trespass, although the amount of damages awarded will generally reflect the extent of the harm done to the property. For example, a person could sue birdwatchers who intruded onto his land but would probably receive only nominal damages. A farmer who discovers several persons cutting down valuable hardwood trees for firewood could recover a more substantial amount in damages.

Trespassers are responsible for nearly all the consequences of their unlawful entry, including those that could not have been anticipated or are the result of nothing more wrongful than the trespass itself. For example, if a trespasser carefully lights a fire in the stove of a lake cabin and a fault in the stove causes the cabin to burn down, the trespasser can be held liable for the fire damage.

You can put this on internet to read the rest....Ths refers also to US law....maybe read it slowly and closely.

Trespass to Land​

In modern law the word trespass is used most commonly to describe the intentional and wrongful invasion of another's real property. An action for trespass can be maintained by the owner or anyone else who has a lawful right to occupy the real property, such as the owner of an apartment building, a tenant, or a member of the tenant's family. The action can be maintained against anyone who interferes with the right of ownership or possession, whether the invasion is by a person or by something that a person has set in motion. For example, a hunter who enters fields where hunting is forbidden is a trespasser, and so is a company that throws rocks onto neighboring land when it is blasting.

Every unlawful entry onto another's property is trespass, even if no harm is done to the property. A person who has a right to come onto the land may become a trespasser by committing wrongful acts after entry. For example, a mail carrier has a privilege to walk up the sidewalk at a private home but is not entitled to go through the front door. A person who enters property with permission but stays after he has been told to leave also commits a trespass. Moreover, an intruder cannot defend himself in a trespass action by showing that the plaintiff did not have a completely valid legal right to the property. The reason for all of these rules is that the action of trespass exists to prevent breaches of the peace by protecting the quiet possession of real property.

In a trespass action, the plaintiff does not have to show that the defendant intended to trespass but only that she intended to do whatever caused the trespass. It is no excuse that the trespasser mistakenly believed that she was not doing wrong or that she did not understand the wrong. A child can be a trespasser, as can a person who thought that she was on her own land.

Injury to the property is not necessary for the defendant to be guilty of trespass, although the amount of damages awarded will generally reflect the extent of the harm done to the property. For example, a person could sue birdwatchers who intruded onto his land but would probably receive only nominal damages. A farmer who discovers several persons cutting down valuable hardwood trees for firewood could recover a more substantial amount in damages.

Trespassers are responsible for nearly all the consequences of their unlawful entry, including those that could not have been anticipated or are the result of nothing more wrongful than the trespass itself. For example, if a trespasser carefully lights a fire in the stove of a lake cabin and a fault in the stove causes the cabin to burn down, the trespasser can be held liable for the fire damage.
I understand and agree with what you posted. The job is getting police/judge/game warden to press any charges. They damn near laugh at you like you're a spoiled child because someone was walking thru your woods or hunting. Simple fact, the police and game wardens don't want to be bothered, at least in my area.

I kinda doubt that will work outside. Rain.
I bet hydrogen peroxide would clean up that dye pretty quick. Hydrogen peroxide also works amazingly well on blood by denaturing the hemoglobin protein. Cleaned a lot of deer blood out of clothing that way.

You might be thinking of the perhaqps .00001% of firearms owners I venture to say.... dangerous shooter are loaded with excuses, like all psychopaths. ..the first is 'why I need/must own a firearm. That goes for large property owner also....when owning a firearm is a rite-of passage made into a right of passage others suffer the consequences.
And this approach would be why Australia has draconian gun laws. Once you decide to give up the right to own a gun just because you want one and replace that right with total government control, you will eventually all lose your rights to own a gun for any reason.
I understand and agree with what you posted. The job is getting police/judge/game warden to press any charges. They damn near laugh at you like you're a spoiled child because someone was walking thru your woods or hunting. Simple fact, the police and game wardens don't want to be bothered, at least in my area.
This. In many places a trespass charge isn't much more than a speeding ticket....and in todays climate of "defund the police" and accusing cops of wrongdoings, its no wonder that they don't want to do anything. Just try getting somebody charged with a crime and arrested.....you really need to press the issue to get anything done.

Here in the UK we have a 600 acre farm with 40 acres of woodland. Gun laws are tight and rifle ownership is very difficult but we still have poachers. We also have a large human population per square mile. I do not shoot now but allow the right sort of people to walk, and walk their dogs under control on condition that they report anything untoward. This works well as they appreciate the gift of the walk.
If I was in US and there were more guns and I was living in a remote place I would not consider confrontation as barn burning, dog shooting or worse may be the result
What about encircling the woodland with "DANGER ANTHRAX AREA" signs together with an explanation that anthraz has been discovered in several deer carcasses.
I once had a burglary here and because I used to play in a Blues Band., I still have the 1000 watt PA system. So I rigged it up inside my garage with workshop and tools. Set up a stereo tape deck with two recordings that was set off by an infrared movement trigger.
The first of these is a recording of a BRM V16 at Goodwood and it needs to be heard at 1000 watts!

The other was the last part of the Dirty Harry clip!

Unfortunately my first victim was the local vicar who had come to deliver the local parish magazine!

Then document everything, pictures, times, names of trespassers and also names of police, wardens, judges and everyone else in the system that has ignored you. Then, if it ever becomes serious and somebody in your family (dogs too) are ever injured or harmed in any way, they ALL go down.

My mother made ours out of pieces of cut up aluminum siding (very sharp edges). Found blood on a couple, so they worked.
Fine thread sheetrock screws, meant for metal studs are your friend. Use screws 3/8 to 1/2 inch longer than the total thickness they are going through. Use on screw or more per inch. Buy them in a 5 pound bucket, as they are cheapest this way.

These screws have VERY sharp points and will go thru flesh and leather gloves with ease. If the person isn't up to no good, they will never know the screws are there.

I bet hydrogen peroxide would clean up that dye pretty quick. Hydrogen peroxide also works amazingly well on blood by denaturing the hemoglobin protein. Cleaned a lot of deer blood out of clothing that way.

I routinely use a marker dye in my spray application that looks and behaves much the same. That stuff looks like a sticky concentrate of the same dye. My marker dye is a water soluble chemical, and will wash off in the first rain, but it damn sure colors everything it gets close to. It is also entirely temporary, and fades when exposed to sunlight. It'll take a few days to come off your hands, however, and there is little hope of getting it all off you skin with soap & water.

I don't think hydrogen peroxide will have little to no effect upon it, once soaked into your skin. Laundry bleach, however, is almost instant at reversing the color.

Overall: no good for outdoor posting. Great for areas not exposed to sunlight or water. Of course, that assumes that the chemical is similar or the same as what I am using.

That is not a problem in the state I live in the US. Here all private land is posted by law and requires a written permit to be on the land unless the owner can verify their present is lawful.

There is a designation called a land agent where the owner assign the agent the same authority as he possesses under contract. This would apply to land rented for hunting rights and the like. It gives the agent or leaser as in the terms within the contract the same privileges as the owner, including the right of egress to the property. As an agent he can assign egress to the property for hunting and such for members of a club or individuals, this also assign the club members or individuals the right to enforce trespassing on said property as they are also now agents.

The deal is, the owner or his agents can sign a legal warrant for trespass and doesn't need any other cooperation. Its a criminal case as all land in my state is posted by law, and a civil case as to the owner or his agent bring charges against the trespasser. Alabama takes trespass seriously and will prosecute your butt if caught.

Latest posts

Back