What to Do with a Husqvarna 61and a bad piston-cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my options were spending money on a new 61 p&c or spending money on a new 272 p&c (and maybe intake block and top cover), with the cost not being super different, I’d move up for sure. I’ve got a 66 I’d do that to if it went gunnybag, and a weak 257 I’ll turn into a 262 if a new ring doesn’t help much.

One other question, will any 61 cylinder piston combination work? I see one(cylinder) on Ebay for a good price but it doesn't look like mine in the porting. I have bigger saws so needing a hot saw is low priority. So I'm leaning to just going back with a 61 cylinder /piston. I would like to keep a stock cylinder on it if possible. The cylinder in it is toast. I have never done a cylinder mod so I'm not really super motivated to go through that procedure. I'm currently working on a Mcculloch 1-71 and a Stihl 021. The 021 really is testing my patience(small Stihls are a pain). I finally figured out the problem with it but it cost me some time. It also went full circle pissing me off more when I found a small crack in what looked to be a good fuel line.

One other question, will any 61 cylinder piston combination work? I see one(cylinder) on Ebay for a good price but it doesn't look like mine in the porting. I have bigger saws so needing a hot saw is low priority. So I'm leaning to just going back with a 61 cylinder /piston. I would like to keep a stock cylinder on it if possible. The cylinder in it is toast. I have never done a cylinder mod so I'm not really super motivated to go through that procedure. I'm currently working on a Mcculloch 1-71 and a Stihl 021. The 021 really is testing my patience(small Stihls are a pain). I finally figured out the problem with it but it cost me some time. It also went full circle pissing me off more when I found a small crack in what looked to be a good fuel line.

Photos of the cylinder would help people tell you what you have already and if it is really toast- or just buttered bread. ;)

if there is anything i have learned repairing old used up saws into new saws is to start by fully taking the saw apart down to the crank, lay everything out and inspect it. Replace every single item made of rubber/plastic/gasket that touches air or fuel, clean every single part of the saw to inspect it. Then make your parts list! cylinders often clean up using acid but take your time and neutralize it between applications....if there is a scratch through the plating it will destroy the plating surrounding it if you do not.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124331817691?hash=item1cf2c0fadb:g:ApgAAOSwXjFfWTtg

There are actually many different P&C sets you can fit to the 61 cases. The key is in knowing what other parts you'll need to complete the project and get the most out of the conversion....like you don't want to put a big cyl on and run a to a small carb, for example. The 61 is the base model of this saw family and is practically the same as the Jonsered 625. Both good solid, dependable saws and will last longer than some other members of the family simply due to the fact they produce less power. Any upgrade you make will be an upgrade in power. I prefer to stay in the OEM world concerning cylinders but frequently use Meteor pistons. Some other OEM top ends you have option to use besides the 272XP that are pretty bolt up without modifying very much would include 266xp, 66, 268xp, regular 268 (same as the 66) and a 630 Jonsered.....all these fit fine under a gray top 61 engine cover as long as you use the early style muffler. It's your choice....mild to wild...

Thumbs up to cookies prior post....if you take this serious replace all seals, gaskets and o-rings as you build the saw....cheap insurance that you work will be successful.

There are actually many different P&C sets you can fit to the 61 cases. The key is in knowing what other parts you'll need to complete the project and get the most out of the conversion....like you don't want to put a big cyl on and run a to a small carb, for example. The 61 is the base model of this saw family and is practically the same as the Jonsered 625. Both good solid, dependable saws and will last longer than some other members of the family simply due to the fact they produce less power. Any upgrade you make will be an upgrade in power. I prefer to stay in the OEM world concerning cylinders but frequently use Meteor pistons. Some other OEM top ends you have option to use besides the 272XP that are pretty bolt up without modifying very much would include 266xp, 66, 268xp, regular 268 (same as the 66) and a 630 Jonsered.....all these fit fine under a gray top 61 engine cover as long as you use the early style muffler. It's your choice....mild to wild...

Thumbs up to cookies prior post....if you take this serious replace all seals, gaskets and o-rings as you build the saw....cheap insurance that you work will be successful.
Hey Robin, I have a guy wanting to trade me an all orange 61 with white lettering, would that be a newer or later saw. It has never been used as he thinks its way too heavy, was given to him in new condition. He wants a smaller saw and has fell in love with one of my ported 026`s, fair trade?

Hey Robin, I have a guy wanting to trade me an all orange 61 with white lettering, would that be a newer or later saw. It has never been used as he thinks its way too heavy, was given to him in new condition. He wants a smaller saw and has fell in love with one of my ported 026`s, fair trade?
With an orange top it should be the later version after case change with the one piece ign. A quick way to tell is take a look at the front, (left side) top cover bolt and it's relation to the recoil bolt just below....if the cover bolt is forward of the recoil bolt it's the old style. If it'a aft of the re coil bolt it's the new style. I've run one of your ported 026's ...nice little saw ...cut like all git out!! He'd be happy with it I'm sure. Probably a pretty good deal especially if the 026 came to you without much cost.

With an orange top it should be the later version after case change with the one piece ign. A quick way to tell is take a look at the front, (left side) top cover bolt and it's relation to the recoil bolt just below....if the cover bolt is forward of the recoil bolt it's the old style. If it'a aft of the re coil bolt it's the new style. I've run one of your ported 026's ...nice little saw ...cut like all git out!! He'd be happy with it I'm sure. Probably a pretty good deal especially if the 026 came to you without much cost.
I am not into the 026 for more than $50. so it wouldn`t bother me any money wise. Just having an orange saw around bothers me more though as I try to keep them limited, only have two hidded away, that minty 266 and the old 45, can`t let anybody see em among all the creamsicles. The 026`s have some scoot to em and are fairly light in the hands, the old fella with the 61 is always smiling when we talk.

Back