What to do with some Silver Maple that's going south...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've got a big silver maple tree that is cut an piled up, and I just didn't get to it in time to get it split and sold. Now it's starting to get punky. The centers are still solid, but it's getting punky but still solid about 1-2 inches around the outside. I don't want to scrap it because it's still got some value to it, but definitely can't be sold as "premium" or whatever you'd like to call it.

I was thinking of splitting it all up and making bundles with it and selling for campfire wood... there's 2 big campgrounds nearby. I'm sure it will do pretty well for roasting hotdogs and making s'mores.

What would you guys do with it if you had the same issue?

I just finished the bottom of my 3 year log pile, lots of punky logs that were still good in the center. Bucked them up, split them and set off to the side. The real bad one went for our "camp fire" the rest I've been working in the furnace when I'm home. Figure if it's gonna get burned may as well be for something I like. I don't sell wood though, either.

I would work up the better and prettier parts into firewood and scrap the scruffy. Silver Maple does work up easier and faster then most hardwoods and get it off the ground, into a good drying environment.
You read my mind. I got into the pile yesterday with the tractor and loader, and the pieces in the center of the pile are in better shape. It will make some great campfire wood.

For your own use anything can be used but you cant sell it! I didnt have any use for the pile I had and nobody wanted it for free, so I did the right thing with that batch and lit it off. I had gotten behind on sawing a few logs and they got in bad condition before I got to them. They were not the greatest when I got them but I could have skinned a few nice boards out of them at the time.

I've got a big silver maple tree that is cut an piled up, and I just didn't get to it in time to get it split and sold. Now it's starting to get punky. The centers are still solid, but it's getting punky but still solid about 1-2 inches around the outside. I don't want to scrap it because it's still got some value to it, but definitely can't be sold as "premium" or whatever you'd like to call it.

I was thinking of splitting it all up and making bundles with it and selling for campfire wood... there's 2 big campgrounds nearby. I'm sure it will do pretty well for roasting hotdogs and making s'mores.

What would you guys do with it if you had the same issue?
Good plan. I've burned lots in the past. It's ok and I mix it with harder woods.

Latest posts

Back