What to do with this apple sapling, if that's what it is.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I think this is a wild apple tree. Its 6ft tall at this stage. What do you think?
20220310_110251-driveway-tree-apple-maybe copy.jpg

Recently discovered it in among the balsam fir next to the driveway.

20220310_110204-driveway-trees copy.jpg

It will soon be time I think maybe in the next 5 years to take out the fir, so I'm considering on doing it early to give the apple tree a chance (if that's what it is). There's a maple tree just off to the right rear of this new found tree. So it might not be in a good place after all. I might take the chance to dig it up and move it. Apple trees grow wild here so I won't be too broken up if it doesn't take.

20220310_110221-driveway-trees-possible-apple copy.jpg

Mine here were about 7-8feet before I saw apples, currently I have over 15 apple trees here on the farm. Couple of crab apple trees also. The Turkey's love those in the fall just before we take them for ice cream....

Low chance that they will be "good" apples. Not that it can't happen...but without knowing the genetics of the parents, there is a pretty good chance that a crabapple contributed to that...

I think this is a wild apple tree. Its 6ft tall at this stage. What do you think?
View attachment 972032

Recently discovered it in among the balsam fir next to the driveway.

View attachment 972030

It will soon be time I think maybe in the next 5 years to take out the fir, so I'm considering on doing it early to give the apple tree a chance (if that's what it is). There's a maple tree just off to the right rear of this new found tree. So it might not be in a good place after all. I might take the chance to dig it up and move it. Apple trees grow wild here so I won't be too broken up if it doesn't take.

View attachment 972031
If you want to see it and have it survive easy, then transplant it out past that well cap.

But where to get them?

Look for healthy "suckers" (new straight shoots from last year the size of your little finger) on established trees. Most of these get pruned off each year. Do any neighbors/friends have established trees known to produce well?

Orchards if they have not finished pruning yet. Even if they have, and have not picked up the prunings you can probably salvage some of those. Cut back the end and see if the wood is still fresh, put in a container of water in cool dark place until you can graft them.

If you were nearby I could give you at least a half dozen different varieties.

Back