What type of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert96

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and learning more about trees. Long story short I have been selling firewood as a hobby for acouple months now that I got for free. Quickly learned people dont want softwood as much as hardwood.

Never paid for wood yet but they are asking $400 canadian. I'm hoping to get it for $300 to possibly double my money pending how much is there cut/split

I attached some pictures. Logs approximately 3 - 4 ft long
Looks like there are 3 types but not sure. Does anyone know if it is hardwood or type of wood they are?

Attachments

• 20200911_183649.jpg
    20200911_183649.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • 20200911_183619.jpg
    20200911_183619.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 20200911_183907.jpg
    20200911_183907.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 20200911_183927.jpg
    20200911_183927.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
I definitely see black cherry in there. Hard to make out the others

The pieces without bark look like spruce beatle kill, but without knowing where in Canada I could be way off.

Dealing with short chunks may make a fair bit of waste, so keep that in mind.

All depends how particular your customers are on length.
IE a 3ft piece makes 2 16" pieces and then a ~3.5" piece.

Some stoves are fairly small, where 16" will fit, but much longer won't.

Had a complaint for too long pieces before
Was making a 2nd delivery there, so I took a look.
They had 1/2 a wheelbarrow out of 2 cords of wood that was closer to 17" and wanted to exchange it since I told them it was 16" wood.
I was thinking seriously?!

The pieces without bark look like spruce beatle kill, but without knowing where in Canada I could be way off.

Dealing with short chunks may make a fair bit of waste, so keep that in mind.

All depends how particular your customers are on length.
IE a 3ft piece makes 2 16" pieces and then a ~3.5" piece.

Some stoves are fairly small, where 16" will fit, but much longer won't.

Had a complaint for too long pieces before
Was making a 2nd delivery there, so I took a look.
They had 1/2 a wheelbarrow out of 2 cords of wood that was closer to 17" and wanted to exchange it since I told them it was 16" wood.
I was thinking seriously?!

Southern Ontario. Markham area.
Any waste I burn in my own fires. I dont really have a good customer base yet as I started not long ago. What cut lengths do your customers prefer?

This ^ and some of that wood looks a bit punky. I'd burn it all day in my OWB, but I'm not sure your customers will be as accepting.

Those were trees that were standing dead. I noticed some pieces were extremely wet and starting to rot but for the most part alot of it was below 25% moisture content. I've only dealt with softwood as campfire wood some pieces here and there rotted but so far no complaints

I'm new to the forum and learning more about trees. Long story short I have been selling firewood as a hobby for acouple months now that I got for free. Quickly learned people dont want softwood as much as hardwood.

Never paid for wood yet but they are asking $400 canadian. I'm hoping to get it for $300 to possibly double my money pending how much is there cut/split

I attached some pictures. Logs approximately 3 - 4 ft long
Looks like there are 3 types but not sure. Does anyone know if it is hardwood or type of wood they are?
Hey Rob,
I'm a local not too far from you(2hrs). Burn plenty of firewood for 30 years now.
I see that scaly looking wood and I'd say that's Cherry and it's good hardwood with decent burn times.
The other without the bark could be Ash as there is a lot of that in your area with the E.A.B. killing most all of them in Toronto and the GTA.
However, I'd be a bit leary of offering much for that pile. Looks like its been sitting on the ground for a while with bark falling off those logs. Could be wet and have carpenter ants in there already and other insects that like damp wood.
Plus the logs are not seasoned or even lengths so your splits will be various and not every customer likes that.
Most want 16" splits.
I never pay more that $100 a cord for unseasoned wood especially log form. And I always want to know what species it is and when it was cut.

Back