What You Should Do If You Get Hurt in the Woods When Alone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes girls in the bush can throw you off your game, but not too often.
Once I was in a new bush and the girl I was with asked me to take her over the winch/brush gaurd of the truck.
Shortly thereafter while recovering, the woodlot owner came jogging thru and asked me, 'How many loads I'd taken out.' Lol
John

Lol!
That calls for a whole different kind of PPE!

Anyway, at the cost or derailing, when in the bush, just be a law unto yourself and you will be safe, Take your time and use a fast saw.
John

In my experience if I waited until there was someone available for $50, Starvation would be a much bigger danger.
And there have been some days when I did not clear $50. And a $50/day extra expense would soon eat deep into what little profit is left in this business, so once again starvation is a clear and present danger.

I understand where your coming from & i agree 100% I was just making a suggestion. Just be something in mind if someone ever did have a situation where they was gonna be in the woods alone

Chihuahuas can do anything.

Titan.jpg

My dog saved my life once, ..I know very well I would not be here today if it were not for him, you are very lucky indeed if you ever have one good dog in your life.

Pioneerguy600

Jerry, how did this happen? I understand though how a dog can make you safer while working. The little dog I have now, hates saws, but keeps away grizzlies.
John

g6-1.jpg

Risky business

It should never be a situation to consider. If you don't have a partner go home. If a partner is not an option find a different job. If your stubborn and take the risk and get whacked enjoy the pain and suffering your dealt for you earned it!

It should never be a situation to consider. If you don't have a partner go home. If a partner is not an option find a different job. If your stubborn and take the risk and get whacked enjoy the pain and suffering your dealt for you earned it!

And that is the official story.
The first rule of logging is never leave anyone alone!
The second rule of logging is see rule number one!

Jerry, how did this happen? I understand though how a dog can make you safer while working. The little dog I have now, hates saws, but keeps away grizzlies.
John

g6-1.jpg

Jack is certainly fearless, it may get him killed one day but lets hope not.
My yellow collie dog and I were inseperable growing up, we travelled the backwoods together all year round. One winter we both hiked back into one of our backcountry camps in mid January, stayed safe and snug overnight in the ole log camp. Next morning it was -22F and the wind was kicking up a bit but not really bad for travelling so we set out for home by 10:30, five hours should take us home, lakes frozen over hard, hard crust on the snow with just a little loose stuff blowing about a bit. Walking out through the woods was fairly easy, crossing the many lakes was quite cold,by 2:30 it started snowing and it really was coming down by 3 o`clock, whiteout in the open areas and the deepening snow slowed our progress. We made it to the tidal estuary, salt water, by 3:45, the tide was at a spring tide high which was very bad for getting on the ice. There was 2-3 feet of water over the ice close to shore, a 12-20 foot space of water between shore and the floating ice out on the salt water blocked our path. Down the shore a bit there was a little closer gap, maybe 10 feet, the shore there was cliff like,steep. I cut a tree up on the cliff side and limbed it, then hefted it up and with a big toss I propelled it outward to bridge the gap, a durn pin knot caught my cuff and pulled me along with the tree off the cliff. I hit the ice head first and went entirely through between the floating clumpers.I came to with my dog holding my head above water, he had the hood of my coat in his teeth, there was a large red stain on the ice in front of me but I paid it no mind. With my dogs help I pulled myself out of the water and onto the floating ice of the estuary. I knew this was," bad", the wind was now blowing 40-45 mph Northwest, I could not see more than 50' due to whiteout, swirling snow,. It was 2.5 miles to home and not really easy going, my dog was just looking at me for some direction on what to do, he looked me right in the eye, tilting his head left to right with ears straight up, I said," home boy", and he started off not looking back for the firts couple of hundred feet, then he would take a glance back every so often to see if I was following. We crossed 2 miles of open on the ice, could barely see 20' but after 45 mins there was the treeline on my right, we were 50' from where the path to home met the ice, I managed to get off the ice to the trees with just getting one foot wetter. At this point my outer jacket and top shirt were frozen rock hard, my black wool Murphys also rock hard but my Stanfields were the only thing not yet frozen. The snow was really piled into the woods on this side of the river but my dog would throw himself forward 20' at a time and come back to tug at me to keep me going, we had to climb up 300' of a 30-40 deg angle hill to get to the top, I pulled myself up by grasping small trees and branches, my dog helping all the way. By 4:30 I had topped the hill, a couple of hundred yards more and I was headed down hill where i fell, slid and stumbled down to the road. All I had to do was make it 1/4 mile more and I would be home, that is where I thought I hit the wall, but I would not allow myself to stop, guess I must have stumbled that 1/4 mile to the house but I really can`t rember that too well. I remember clearly making it to the door but my hands could not grip the door knob, and I must have made enough racket that my dad heard me and came to the door, the look on his face told me everything at a glance. He was a war vet and had seen many horrible sights during fighting but was actually shocked to see me. I fell inward on the floor of the porch and dad tried to get my coat off but immediately realised that everything on me was frozen rock hard. He pulled me into the bathroom like skidding a seal and with my limited help rolled me into the bathtub while running hot water into the tub to thaw my clothes. I rember seeing riverlets of frozen blood on the front of my High Artic Survival coat and the sting of cuts told me I had some facial damage. After 4-5 mins we started to get my coat and the rest of my clothes off a little at a time as the hot water thawed the ice. When I finally got to see myself through all the mess on my face I shocked myself at first but a lot of it was just frozen/dried blood and once it washed off there was only 5 cuts that probably needed stiches, we glued it up with pine pitch instead. Less than 2 hours after making it home I was eating a meal at the table, my dog ate the same meal at my side.

Pioneerguy600

Dang you can't beat a good dog.

That same dog pulled my little brother out from an icewater filled road culvert, he was just under 4 years old and fell in on the upstream side, the water pulled him and he got stuck. The old culvert was made of spiked together 6X6`s and he got his snowsuit caught on a rusty spike. The dog dove in immediately and resurfaced with my brother, I grabbed him by the hood of his snowsuit and with the help of my dog we pulled him out, I swept him up in my arms and ran for home with the dog running ahead and barking loudly to alert our parents. My brother had swallowed some water but he coughed most of it up then threw up on me, I could not have been happier.

Pioneerguy600

In Australia it would be HIGHLY illegal for any faller to work alone and there would be hell to pay if anyone were caught on a logging coupe without hard hat, high viz gear steel cap safety boots and proper hearing and eye protection.
All chainsaw operators must wear chaps or cutproof trousers and carry a wound dressing on their belt as well as being trained in advanced first aid.
Yes we do still injure and kill a few, but there are many alive and well because of such rules. The forest is a hostile environment that must never be underestimated.
Good fortune to all and stay safe.

In Australia it would be HIGHLY illegal for any faller to work alone and there would be hell to pay if anyone were caught on a logging coupe without hard hat, high viz gear steel cap safety boots and proper hearing and eye protection.
All chainsaw operators must wear chaps or cutproof trousers and carry a wound dressing on their belt as well as being trained in advanced first aid.
Yes we do still injure and kill a few, but there are many alive and well because of such rules. The forest is a hostile environment that must never be underestimated.
Good fortune to all and stay safe.

Does that apply for the untrained Asian imported labor also.
I am very interested in these so called cutproof trousers.
I consider proper training much more vital than steal to shoes or cut proof trousers.
I see some poor technique being taught as the best way to do things pretty often.

What imported Asian labour would that be? I know they are small but I think I would have noticed them.:hmm3grin2orange:
Do you not have trousers that incorporate the same material as protective chaps have in them.
I agree that poor training and procedures have much to answer for hence the reason that as I already detailed certain PPE and training is compulsory on our logging coupes. Certainly not trying to get into an argument, simply putting forward a portrait of the way things are done in a country other than the USA.:)

What imported Asian labour would that be? I know they are small but I think I would have noticed them.:hmm3grin2orange:
Do you not have trousers that incorporate the same material as protective chaps have in them.
I agree that poor training and procedures have much to answer for hence the reason that as I already detailed certain PPE and training is compulsory on our logging coupes. Certainly not trying to get into an argument, simply putting forward a portrait of the way things are done in a country other than the USA.:)

I am not trying to promote anger or useless arguing.
I have read several discussions about low cost pacific Asian labor in Australian timber industry having a terrible safety record.
I contend it is not the governments duty, obligation, privilege, or mandate or whatever you want to call it to be involved in what I where to work.
How can someone in a different time and place possibly be qualified to decide what is the safest or what is an acceptable risk.
There is no way to wear enough safety equipment to remove all risk in life.
The only way to ensure some ones safety is to imprison them in a padded cell, and I for one will resist sacrificing liberty for safety.

hey Yukon : good t see ya still on here.

I have some experience with getting hurt in th brush. However ; th best form of first aid is t not get hurt in th first place. I work alone sometimes over a mile from anyone. My first. concern is not. Freezing to death . And then. Not bleeding out . Accidents do happen . Every one gets hurt , but most all the replies were good .

Latest posts

Back