What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate this thing the more I read about it...... but lucky me as it is not mine! LOL

Many problems reported by many people. 1 person has had 5 replacements in 1 year! Unit will start on start setting but when turned to run, it dies out. Looks to have a cable operated choke and ON/OFF switch built into a rotary dial. Very confusing and unnecessary really.

Owner claims to exercise it every 2-3 months. Fuel smells old and not treated. Original plug came out hard... like it was cross threaded in from factory. Can confirm when I finally got it out with some aluminum on the threads. Bosch plug. I put in an NGK with just a hint of thread lube. Went in well and tightened up fully. Removed idle screw to access plastic pilot jet to clean. It was clear. Put idle screw back in.

Got cold so I will finish it tomorrow. Gonna drain fuel and put fresh in with Stabil. Maybe a hint of Seafoam to help clean any crud out stuck in carb. Don't really wanna get into ripping carb out just yet... looks like a pain! And yes, this damn thing has a charcoal canister on it for emissions. GTBFKM.........

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 8
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 6
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 6
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 6
  • #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 6
  • #6.jpg
    #6.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 6
  • #7.jpg
    #7.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 6
  • #8.jpg
    #8.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 6
  • #10.jpg
    #10.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 6
My parts washer is on the opposite end of my shop from my work bench. Rather that carrying the filthy parts across the shop after a tear down, and the dripping clean parts back across the shop to the bench, the cart has come in very handy. The scrapper across the street got in NIB a while back and offered it to me for a reasonable price.

Mark

Next up on my bench will be the mystery Mac, and a 330 homey that I’ve had cleaned up and ready to go back together for a while.
Anxious to get it back together as I have never used one of those. As with any saw it seems Some guys love them -some guys hate them.

Update on the generator and hahahaha...I win.

Decided to pull carb off and tear it down to have a look today. Kinda knew what I would find as the owner said he only exercise it once every 3 months. I just didn't wanna believe it with only 14 hrs on the clock..... she plugged up.

New gas on left and his gas pumped out of tank on right.

Attachments

• #13.jpg
    #13.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 9
  • #14.jpg
    #14.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 8
  • #15.jpg
    #15.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 8
  • #16.jpg
    #16.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 9
  • #17.jpg
    #17.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 9
Let's bring this back from the dead no?

Update on the Rancher 55. I installed a new intake partition with new intake tube and impulse tube. Rebuilt a used OEM carb and chucked the China in the scrap heap. New air filter and spark plug.

Had spark out of the cylinder so I thought we good to go. Nope. Pulled till she flooded then held throttle wide open to help air out. Still have good bright blue spark. Tried new plug to cover my bases. No luck. Then I remembered it may not be a good spark under compression trick. Looked at the coil quick and see this....

1650133562746.png

Yeah... "here's ur sign!"

Got an OEM Husky coil at the tune of $70, gapped at 10-12 thou and it runs perfect. Even idled great after it started! Mind you, I just set the carb at base settings after I rebuilt it.

Got a new Husky 18" bar for a smoking deal on eVilbay with an Oregon EXL chain in 3/8 .050 68DL flavor. Got cold here in Iowa again so I will final tune and test when warms up again. I'm happy it is finally done! LOL

Had an old Homelite XL laying around in non-running condition so thought I'd try to get it going. Of course this one is the kind where you have to take it all apart to get to the carburetor so I did. Took the carb off, soaked it for a while then rinsed it in hot water. My mistake was not having the right carb kit on hand and the shop was closed this afternoon so I used some gaskets that weren't quite the right ones. Slapped it back together and it ran but not very well and it wouldn't idle. I also lost the little inlet lever spring and had to replace it with one I had, which probably wasn't the right one. Later on I'll probably do it all over again hopefully this time with the right parts...

I wonder what will happen if I put the wrong inlet lever spring on it? The one I used looks like a Walbro spring, not a Zama, but not sure what carb it came from..
I didn't find my old spring, it's laying on the floor somewhere, probably under wife's car..

I would think they pretty close in tension and length but can not confirm. Just for this reason is why I keep all the old parts I took out. Put them back in the new carb kit bag and label them used. I too have taken on many a hunt for parts that f**k right off into low earth orbit, never to be seen again...... sheesh!

I would think they pretty close in tension and length but can not confirm. Just for this reason is why I keep all the old parts I took out. Put them back in the new carb kit bag and label them used. I too have taken on many a hunt for parts that f**k right off into low earth orbit, never to be seen again...... sheesh!
Some of those springs in those XLs and Super 2s are nearly 50 years old, they can't have the same tension they had when new..

Apparently I'm a 1998 Husqvarna collector. Torn down on right is my first saw, a 350 waiting on intake boot upgrade parts and a carb refresh kit.

On left is a 55 I bought and cleaned up today. She cleaned up really nice, piston looks new, paint 9n front is 100%. Starts easy. Needed a bar and oil system clean and inspect (all was Ok, just needed cleaned).

16501675049401880541471.jpg16501675049401880541471.jpg

Last weekend I scored a ms170 and a 038 wood boss at a yard sale for a good deal. Had the 170 running after a carb rebuild later that day..the 038 had to have lots of small parts ordered so while waiting for deliveries I tore it down and got the cylinder decked to get squish numbers down from .045 to ..034 and with a bit of advice ported it some for better air flow. I fired it off today for the first time and it ran great, I was nervous with the number of things I modified . Hoping next week I can go run it through some wood and see how well it does.

Last weekend I scored a ms170 and a 038 wood boss at a yard sale for a good deal. Had the 170 running after a carb rebuild later that day..the 038 had to have lots of small parts ordered so while waiting for deliveries I tore it down and got the cylinder decked to get squish numbers down from .045 to ..034 and with a bit of advice ported it some for better air flow. I fired it off today for the first time and it ran great, I was nervous with the number of things I modified . Hoping next week I can go run it through some wood and see how well it does.
I have a deal for Monday on a 455 rancher and a plastic homelite for $20 if he doesn’t flake out on me.

Back