What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChillyB , it may be cuz I don't have the ring on the piston or just that this HWY cylinder is a bit out of spec. I did use .031 solder cuz I thought the .060 I have may be a bit too thick. For grins I will check it again tomorrow for as I have not removed it after those findings.

Sierra Rider, the real funny part about the base thickness is that the HWY kit I put on my fist 350 was smooth sailing. Thick like the OEM Husky base. Even went with a BGD on that 1. This second kit cyl may have been shaved down too far from factory to used at all. Or at the minimum have to add 2 base gaskets to clear the piston.

Hmmmm.... More experiments needed for evidence.

ChillyB , it may be cuz I don't have the ring on the piston or just that this HWY cylinder is a bit out of spec. I did use .031 solder cuz I thought the .060 I have may be a bit too thick. For grins I will check it again tomorrow for as I have not removed it after those findings.

Sierra Rider, the real funny part about the base thickness is that the HWY kit I put on my fist 350 was smooth sailing. Thick like the OEM Husky base. Even went with a BGD on that 1. This second kit cyl may have been shaved down too far from factory to used at all. Or at the minimum have to add 2 base gaskets to clear the piston.

Hmmmm.... More experiments needed for evidence.

Without the ring on the piston, the actual squish might be even tighter than you think. You could be getting a smidge of excess play because of the piston being able to deflect in the cylinder(if you just test through the spark plug hole like I do.)

I've only had minimal experience with a Hyway cylinder, but I wasn't impressed. I used a Hyway big bore cylinder on an 044...it likely would've been alright if I just put it together as delivered. IIRC, the squish was within the realm of OEM Stihl stuff. I ended up milling and porting it...it had the flakiest plating I've ever seen on a saw cylinder...crappy Farmertec cylinders have better plating than that Hyway did.

Anyway, I was able to eventually get my port edges to good plating and threw it all together. It was a real strong runner, but I tore it down recently and the plating started flaking off around all the ports. I didn't have a lot of hours on that cylinder either. I hope mine was just a defective cylinder, as I haven't heard many bad things about the Hyway. That experience just kinda turned me off to them.

Updates on squish measurements. Installed the Caber ring on the HWY pop up in the Meteor cyl. No base gasket. Measured in 4 places using .031" solder. Also put a plug in to see if piston hits and that is a NEGATIVE. Whew.... no Conway Twitty today for you!

Sierra rider was correct on the piston rocking theory and ChillyB spot on aboot the readings all over the place. Readings looking much more in line now. Looks like I gotta put a base gasket in on this one.

Que my crude drawing...

1655062565278.png 1655062596204.png

Now, if I go with the OEM Husky base gasket, I will get aboot .0375 squish or a bit less when torqued down. I should be golden on that.

I drilled and dug an impulse channel on the Meteor cyl today. Aim is better but a bit of plating chipping. Looks ugly but will work. Started with 600 grit then moved to 1500 to smooth it all out. Should be ok!

1655075235351.png

Second saw...early Echo 8000, I'm guessing 1985ish. Almost all metal, even metal tank and handle.

Given to me as a non runner. As seen in the pictures, it's seen very little use...just kinda dirty. It hadn't been run in years and bad gas in it. I didn't think it would run with out some new rubber pieces, but with fresh fuel and a lot of pulling, I got it to pop.

A little bit of tuning and it actually runs really well. I didn't get to cut with it, I need a bar. The bar that came on it is actually a Husky mount and too big for the studs.

IDK what I'm actually going to do with this saw, possibly give to my old man as a firewood saw or keep it just for an edging mill...I've already got 5 saws that are about this size or bigger. Either way, I'm already planning some port work on it. It's a pretty straightforward cylinder to get a little more power out of it.

Only missing the chain brake:20220613_154002.jpg20220613_153929.jpg

This saw looks like it was barely used:
20220613_154020.jpg20220613_155436.jpg

Updates on squish measurements. Installed the Caber ring on the HWY pop up in the Meteor cyl. No base gasket. Measured in 4 places using .031" solder. Also put a plug in to see if piston hits and that is a NEGATIVE. Whew.... no Conway Twitty today for you!

Sierra rider was correct on the piston rocking theory and ChillyB spot on aboot the readings all over the place. Readings looking much more in line now. Looks like I gotta put a base gasket in on this one.

Que my crude drawing...

View attachment 995166 View attachment 995167

Now, if I go with the OEM Husky base gasket, I will get aboot .0375 squish or a bit less when torqued down. I should be golden on that.

I drilled and dug an impulse channel on the Meteor cyl today. Aim is better but a bit of plating chipping. Looks ugly but will work. Started with 600 grit then moved to 1500 to smooth it all out. Should be ok!

View attachment 995259
With those numbers, I'd run no base gasket. With some moto-seal, you should have squish numbers in the low-mid 20's...which is spot on IMO.

Of course, double check it after it's bolted together...but if over .020"ish with motoseal, I'd run it.

Well damn Sr... now ya got me on the fence! LOL I did stick the Husky gasket on but didn't have time to actually check it. Will make that a priority tomorrow before work.

Did some grinding/sanding on the FW and outside transfer port. Had 1 small spot still hitting so gotta shave a bit more off and should be good there.

That old Echo iron looks great ! Love them older Kioritz engines. My 25 yr old SRM230 trimmer made by them. Still running strong without major repairs!

On my bench today, rather beside the bench, is my truck. After about a half an hour I finally got the air conditioner to work. Funny when you get used to something you feel like from then on you have to have it! I had a little trouble with the R134a cans since they changed the tops on them and nobody told me...

Damn.... I picked the wrong day to limb some trees for a friend. Was 90* plus in my neck of the woods. At least I was done by 1 pm. Sweat soaked a realized how tired I got! Quick shower then out to the bench if I could lift my arms any... was a struggle.

Got around to the chop saw after some parts arrived. Should be good to go on this fix. I found 2.5 out 3 of the fresh air intake tubes blocked closed with dust and back sprayed fuel. Poor saw was choking to death!

1655680127793.png 1655680193877.png 1655680230869.png 1655680257317.png

Husqvarna 257 to 262 conversion. Had to do some repairs on the top cover, so it was painted black so I wouldn't have to mess with color matching, and I just prefer the color combo anyway.
Other issues, broken choke lever, (a weak spot on these saws) striped thread for holding the top cover down, plugged fuel filter, squashed metal inserts in the clutch cover. Did new crank seals and carb kit. Had to relieve the side of the 262 cylinder to clear the flywheel.

At 12.3 lbs it's a decently light saw for 62 cc's. A couple of tanks through it so far. It's average as far as power goes for its displacement, the limiting factor on these saws is the induction system and carburetor. Upsizing would take major modification and would be necessary for some real power gains.

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_224247.jpg
    IMG_20220619_224247.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220619_224130.jpg
    IMG_20220619_224130.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back on my bench is a Homelite XL2. I took it all apart, rebuilt the carb, put it back together and it appears to have a rather large air leak somewhere! It's not my saw and I don't know of anything I did to make the air leak but guess in the future I'll be tearing it down again...

Back