What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breaking news........ this just in! I took a gamble on that used TS760 tank and recoil unit off of eBay for this TS510 project. And it fits and works perfectly.

Here's the real kicker...... it still has great spark after all this time and it started and ran/runs like a damn sewing machine!!!! I really was ready to bury this thing in the back yard... I got a 45 and a shovel....

Time to let the owner decide if he wants to replace anything else now that it runs..... I got a list going! LOL

1684802565257.png 1684802603100.png

Gonna pick these up on Sat...should be interesting

2 of the 261s were run over. Hoping to make one good saw out of what's left plus misc parts.
A challenge 😃
View attachment 1085451
Maybe while you're there you can introduce them to the less expensive anti-vehicle movement device known as a "chock block".

Status update.....

Owner gives the go ahead on a few other bits for the TS510 demo saw then it will be out of life!

Next up is an old 1999 vintage Craftsman trimmer from a buddy at work. He claims it starts and runs but at almost wide open throttle all the time..... trigger on handle does f**k all. I confirm this and my eye spots the idle screw is turned all the way in to full chooch.

Problem solved... or is it? It was. LOL

However the unit looks to have been seeping fuel around the carb mount and fuel lines into fuel tank. I get the go ahead to do repairs. Compression at 140 psi, single ring is free and moving and a borescope down the plug hole confirms no scoring at all. All on junk Ethanol fuel and cheap oil. Also surprising is it passes a leak down test!

Spark plug in the unit is incorrect. 2 heat ranges too hot but has a very good looking color. I will try the correct 1 first then swap over to the original to see if any difference, for curiosity sake. Owner claims he has never changed it from when he bought it new! Hmmmm....
Getting a carb kit, new fuel lines with filter, air filter, carb base gasket and a new duckbill in the fuel tank cap cuz original is ripped in half.

And the usual tighten up all the fasteners for a machine that rattled at wide open for the last 10 yrs! Owner claims he only needs to run it for 15-20 minutes of trimming his SMALL lawn..... I look at him say " I curse thee!" My typical trimming sessions run 3-4 hrs! LOL

Enjoy....

1685153604639.png 1685153633880.png 1685153669083.png 1685153755715.png

I have a Homelite XL that has been on my bench since last winter. It was dirty and apart and I didn't have the means to clean it up at that time. Now I have most of the parts clean and if I get a little time I'll put the little plastic thing back together with new fuel lines, etc..

Maybe while you're there you can introduce them to the less expensive anti-vehicle movement device known as a "chock block".
Well, a skidsteer got one of them...log truck, the other.

Started disassembling the one in the best looking shape today...blown crank bearing so this will get a complete teardown as all the rest of the saw is usable...just encased in crud. Even the p/C are in great shape...but, needs rings. The crushed saws both have compression, lol. Weekend project. 20230526_210559.jpg20230526_220128.jpg20230526_215823.jpg

Status update.....

Owner gives the go ahead on a few other bits for the TS510 demo saw then it will be out of life!

Next up is an old 1999 vintage Craftsman trimmer from a buddy at work. He claims it starts and runs but at almost wide open throttle all the time..... trigger on handle does f**k all. I confirm this and my eye spots the idle screw is turned all the way in to full chooch.

Problem solved... or is it? It was. LOL

However the unit looks to have been seeping fuel around the carb mount and fuel lines into fuel tank. I get the go ahead to do repairs. Compression at 140 psi, single ring is free and moving and a borescope down the plug hole confirms no scoring at all. All on junk Ethanol fuel and cheap oil. Also surprising is it passes a leak down test!

Spark plug in the unit is incorrect. 2 heat ranges too hot but has a very good looking color. I will try the correct 1 first then swap over to the original to see if any difference, for curiosity sake. Owner claims he has never changed it from when he bought it new! Hmmmm....
Getting a carb kit, new fuel lines with filter, air filter, carb base gasket and a new duckbill in the fuel tank cap cuz original is ripped in half.

And the usual tighten up all the fasteners for a machine that rattled at wide open for the last 10 yrs! Owner claims he only needs to run it for 15-20 minutes of trimming his SMALL lawn..... I look at him say " I curse thee!" My typical trimming sessions run 3-4 hrs! LOL

Enjoy....

View attachment 1085693 View attachment 1085694 View attachment 1085695 View attachment 1085696
15 minutes, LOL, LOL. Sound like he's a candidate for a battery weedeater.

Well, a skidsteer got one of them...log truck, the other.

Started disassembling the one in the best looking shape today...blown crank bearing so this will get a complete teardown as all the rest of the saw is usable...just encased in crud. Even the p/C are in great shape...but, needs rings. The crushed saws both have compression, lol. Weekend project. View attachment 1085744View attachment 1085745View attachment 1085746
It looks like the crud on that saw is the main problem, the rest is routine..

I've owned a EGO battery powered string trimmer for a little over a year and just love it! I run down way before the battery does..
I tried my neighbors Stihl battery weedeater, it actually kicked butt on the smaller stuff. If I was just a urban homeowner with a normal yard I would probably get one. I use a poly graphite .160 line in my FS70. It's still a little small for 2 acres of weeding. Ragweed, small mesquite sprouts. tumble weeds etc. I'm really thinking a battery weedeater isn't gonna be heavy duty enough to cut the mustard.(lots of that weed also)

I tried my neighbors Stihl battery weedeater, it actually kicked butt on the smaller stuff. If I was just a urban homeowner with a normal yard I would probably get one. I use a poly graphite .160 line in my FS70. It's still a little small for 2 acres of weeding. Ragweed, small mesquite sprouts. tumble weeds etc. I'm really thinking a battery weedeater isn't gonna be heavy duty enough to cut the mustard.(lots of that weed also)
I didn't mention that I also have a gas string trimmer also but in my yard they both work about the same. When I go out to just cut a few weeds I always use the EGO because I don't wear myself out starting it.

Back