What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress on the 355T...

Finally got all the parts in for this.... so I thought. Turns out I got sent an empty bag for the clutch needle cage bearing with no bearing...sigh.... Bearing should be here Monday I hope. Did what I could today until the cold got to me again.

Muffler cleaned out and installed with new gaskets, new inner chain guide plate, new chain catcher, new felling dog, new dust cover over the fuel lines and new tether loop. Waiting on the bearing to install all the new clutch parts.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail (7).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (7).jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 13
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (6).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (6).jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 12
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (8).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (8).jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 10
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (9).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (9).jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 11
CS355T finale.

Got the unit all put together, went to start and the damn carb was flooding raw fuel out the muffler. It popped a few times with full throttle/flood clear so my hopes were up!

I had installed an OEM Walbro kit with metering lever set with the tool. I removed carb, adjusted lever down a bit and still flooded. Even turned H and L screws in until almost seated... fuel still flowed. That led me to nozzle check valve failure.

My only option was a new OEM Walbro from ebay for $49.00 with free shipping. Why soo high... geeez.

Got carb today and installed. Ran a bit crappy till it cleaned out and I got the H and L set but now she is a ripper! Think I ended up around 2 1/2 to almost 3 turns out on H and L.... didn't expect that far out! LOL

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail (11).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (11).jpg
    158 KB · Views: 10
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (10).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (10).jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 10
Also did a muffler/cat delete/update to a Husky 141.

Pulled OEM CAT muffler off to find out someone already did some drilling. I thought it sounded a bit louder than stock....

Put a cheap empty can style on with the baffle holes inside drilled a bit bigger and open up the fish gill a bit. Much better now and she lost some weight from that junk CAT setup.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 11
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (3).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (3).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 11
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (5).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (5).jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 11
Along the lines of mufflers.....

Wanted to check why my personal little CS-271T felt like a turd. Never really hits the revs in a timely manner and would bog sometimes.

Pulled muff off to check the screen and confirm my guess of a CAT honeycomb in there. Yup...

Time to gut it and re-tune.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 15
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 15
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail-1 (2).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail-1 (2).jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 15
And now this......

Husky 51. Got it very cheap. Impulse buy so I can try out my first full bottom end rebuild on this style of saw. And it's also a plus the top end is shot. Cylinder no good, crank bearings look and feel like garbage.

Probably go with a Hyway top end. Maybe a pop up kit. Hell I may even try to port it a bit. Would be my first. Should practice on the OEM shot cly to get a feel. Nothing crazy tho.

Add it to next years list....

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 19
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail-1 (2).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail-1 (2).jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 19
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (5).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (5).jpg
    168 KB · Views: 19
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (3).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (3).jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 19
  • GetAttachmentThumbnail (6).jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail (6).jpg
    307 KB · Views: 19
OK... update on my CS271T. Gutted the cat mostly as I did not have the proper double cut burr bits in 1/8" shank. I have them in 1/4" for my die grinder but it all still worked out in the end.

Massive improvement in the running of that little saw! No bogging... revs get up there in a hurry and very snappy now like it should be. A bit of H and L circuit tuning on the carb after I yanked the limiters. Just such a pleasure to use now.

Attachments

• CS271T muff 1.jpg
    CS271T muff 1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 9
  • CS271T muff 2.jpg
    CS271T muff 2.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 9
  • CS271T muff 3.jpg
    CS271T muff 3.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 9
Brought this back to life also. New bearings and seals, new piston with Caber ring just cuz I had a spare, new fuel lines with filter, new intake and impulse tubes, new oil pump with pick up, carb kit, new drilled muffler, new clutch with drum, new clutch cover and new 14" bar with chain. A good runner for sure now!

Attachments

• Husky 141 1.jpg
    Husky 141 1.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Husky 141 2.jpg
    Husky 141 2.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Husky 141 4.jpg
    Husky 141 4.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Husky 141 5.jpg
    Husky 141 5.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 11
Rancher 55 update...

Got back to this today a bit. No start. Have good spark at the correct time , good compression but no fuel. Pour mix down carb throat and she pops over.

Pull carb off to see that it is a China knock off along with aftermarket cylinder and piston I believe. Fuel line and filter check out with no leaks. Tear carb apart to find it is bone dry inside. Gaskets look to be in proper order but I threw in a rebuild kit just cuz I have 1 and don't trust it. Re-install and still no flow. JUNK

Only thing i can think of is a passage not properly drilled. Ordered an OEM used carb from evilbay. Got another kit here waiting for it. Updates in the future !

Attachments

• Husky 55 2.jpg
    Husky 55 2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 11
  • Husky 55 3.jpg
    Husky 55 3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Husky 55 5.jpg
    Husky 55 5.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Husky 55 7.jpg
    Husky 55 7.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 10
Oh.....also....

Some other new parts on the way. Impulse and intake tube and carb mounting block cuz 1 of the mounting screws is stripped out. Hence the red looking silicone or whatever crap in right hole. I don't trust it.

Attachments

• Husky 55 4.jpg
    Husky 55 4.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 15
Oh.....also....

Some other new parts on the way. Impulse and intake tube and carb mounting block cuz 1 of the mounting screws is stripped out. Hence the red looking silicone or whatever crap in right hole. I don't trust it.
Another solution is to helicoil the plastic block, works well, or drill through and put longer bolts with nyloc nuts

I just took in a Jonsered 671. Customer installed new carb kit and lines last year, and cut a mountain of wood with it....however, it leaked fuel at any angle.

This year, its a no start, so I have been asked to service the fuel pump, tank vent, and fuel tank cap......What will I find when I dig into this fuel pump?

turkeybob, I also thought about heat inserts. Heat them up then jam em into the plastic and let cool. That way I could use small bolts.

View attachment 948258
That's also possible, would have to try it on an old manifold first, sometimes this sort of plastic / nylon doesn't like being melted. The problem is usually created by people being too heavy handed, I used helicoils successfully even though I'm not a fan, it enables you to use original bolts, or keenserts / timeserts, which are more robust than helicoils

An old mish mash of parts a dealer had sold as a low hour late model saw to a fellow who wanted it to run like it was supposed to....
Has the old 5 screw cases, an early version el46 & early coil. :) That's OK, replaced the stock gasket with 1/64 paper gasket, has a popup piston and some other stuff...run it tomorrow I think

Back