What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing too crazy today...lotsa running around and other projects.

I need to throw an 880 cylinder on the lathe...2.5" round bar is quite expensive, so I figured I'd do it on the cheap. Thick wall tubing and I welded a cap on the end to cut squish. I was initially concerned about deflection, but I don't see that being an issue now.
20220621_181221.jpg20220621_185504.jpg

Didn't get a bunch done on the cylinder today, other priorities like working on one of my dirtbikes, but did get the squish band and base cut. I'm going with .030" of squish on this one, should be good for it's intended purpose and for the size of the cylinder. I usually run a tighter band in the smaller saws.

The port work will be for another day.
20220622_182805.jpg

Ok... sadly Sierra the mototseal did not help at all. My readings maybe went up .0005. I must remind you and myself that I did run the cyl riser on some 1500 grit sandpaper on top of a granite block to get things strait and flat. Maybe a bit too well! LOL

I tore it all back down and removed the Motoseal with brake parts cleaner which works very well I must say. Then threw in the thin stock Husky gasket. Squish is around .037". Should be ok with that pop up in there.

I also got a bar adapter to run my Stihl bar on the freebie Echo 800p I got. I still had to do some slight modifications to the bar, but it works.

This was the first time I cut with this Echo...everything I read was that they were torquey, which this one definitely is. The caveat to that, is it's also verrrry slow.

I'm going to give it to my old man, he needs a bigger firewood saw and I'll honestly never pick this saw over any of my >70cc Huskies or Stihls. Just for fun, he tried out one of my ported 76cc 044s back to back with this Echo...let's just say it's not a fair comparison and I'll be doing some work on the Echo before he gets it.20220625_173850.jpg

Next to the ported bb 044...this particular 044 is one of the strongest running work saws I've built. It even beats up all over my fancy new 500i...for now.
20220625_183914.jpg

Ok... sadly Sierra the mototseal did not help at all. My readings maybe went up .0005. I must remind you and myself that I did run the cyl riser on some 1500 grit sandpaper on top of a granite block to get things strait and flat. Maybe a bit too well! LOL

I tore it all back down and removed the Motoseal with brake parts cleaner which works very well I must say. Then threw in the thin stock Husky gasket. Squish is around .037". Should be ok with that pop up in there.
That sucks...you know what that means right? Time to buy a lathe lol.

I might get flamed for this, but squish doesn't always have to be .020". I'd say that's optimal, but there's more to it than that. For one, you might worry about carbon build up on a really tight band. You'll get a bump in compression, so that'll help the torque. The exhaust port will have also dropped with a bunch of sanding...it won't be a huge change, but bit less duration which favors low-mid power.

I may delve into porting some yrs down the line but for now I don't have the time to devote to it. Heck... I didn't even touch this last saw until today from last weekend. Nice hot weather here and yardwork never ends...

My lowest squish number was .0165" on the intake side. The squish band was defiantly not cut even! And with that pop up in there, I didn't wanna take the chance of sending it to the moon. Oh believe me, I did think aboot it tho!

I may delve into porting some yrs down the line but for now I don't have the time to devote to it. Heck... I didn't even touch this last saw until today from last weekend. Nice hot weather here and yardwork never ends...

My lowest squish number was .0165" on the intake side. The squish band was defiantly not cut even! And with that pop up in there, I didn't wanna take the chance of sending it to the moon. Oh believe me, I did think aboot it tho!
I'm still learning about porting...it's a deep rabbit hole for sure, but I'm understanding it a lot more than I used to.

I've seen some funny squish bands, especially on some aftermarket cylinders. I've started cutting them on the lathe and ended up double and triple checking my run-out, only to find out that I'm square, but the manufacturer wasn't.

At this point, I'm thinking of not using that HWY cyl that has a thin flange base and going with an OEM 346XP top end for this last 350 I have. Pricey but should work out just fine with or without a base gasket. I think I would have to use 2 or even 3 gaskets on that thin cyl I have just to be use-able!

Ya know... just for grins I will grab a few base gaskets and see what it takes to use that Titanikel cly on this next build. Maybe I will just slather them in Motoseal and hope for the best. She sure don't look like no shelf queen!

I have one just like that - I painted it black. It's full to the brim, too. 🤣 If you zoom in on the tail end of the trailer, it's got Summit and Amsoil stickers on it.

In hindsight I should've built another 20' feet onto my barn addition. It would also help if I could just say NO to free stuff, lol.

The truck makes a great portable workbench, too.
5054C68F-FD4D-471C-B825-B4A45BAC508A.jpeg

Back