Whats the diff between 55 and 55 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunyan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright Husky gurus what is the difference between the Husqvarna 55 and the 55 Rancher?? My dealer has a good looking used 55 for sale $250. Is it a good saw to buy or no?

Both are are basically the same with 53 CC or 3.2 cu. in.

The 55 classic has 3.4 hp.

The 55 Rancher has 3.3 hp

I'm not 100% positive but I believe the 55 Classic has a decomp valve that the Rancher may not have. (this has to be double checked)

55 has .325 chain and a decomp valve. 55R has no valve and 3/8" chain. Otherwise, they are the same saw.

I believe the 55 Classic is available with both .325 or 3/8 pitch chain.

On a saw below 3.5 hp I prefer .325 pitch chain as it gives a small hp saw a bit more of a chance, mind you there is only 15% difference in size between the two but the .325 chisel will be easier to turn and will make the saw lighter and a little more responsive. No appreciable difference in cut will be noticed between the two IMHO.

I'm not sure what the "55 Classic" is, but 55's were equipped with .325 chain. Yes you could alter that to 3/8" easy enough but the smaller pitch is part of the difference between the 55 and 55R.

I think there more differences in the cylinder than just the decomp. valve. I think what trimmed is calling the 55 "classic" was the original 55. It had a closed port cylinder (I think) and was 51 ccs (no, i'm not confusing it with the husky 51, which was 49 cc's). It was rated at 3.4 hp and came with .325 chain and a rim sprocket. The 55"rancher" is an open port version ,with 53 cc's and no decompressor. Rated at 3.3 hp, it came with 3/8 chain and a spur sprocket. I believe the original 55's came with a walbro carb. and the rancher has a zama.

Brent, currently on the bench are 1 51, 1 55R and 2 55's, which I'm hoping to condense into 3 saws. There is no difference in the cylinders between the 55's and the 55R, other than the decomp. There is of course a difference when compared to the 51. The 55's did come with a rim sprocket, forgot that difference ;) I have seen 2 new 55R's that also came with rim sprockets recently, even though the older ones came with a sprocket. I think too, that the 55R came with 2 dawgs and the 55 with only one.

I agree, that 55 better be close to new for $240 :)

Lobo, ok the classic is the 55, gotcha. I think the .1 hp gain was on the smaller pitch chain or just Husky bs'ing a little ;)

trimmmed said:
Lobo, ok the classic is the 55, gotcha. I think the .1 hp gain was on the smaller pitch chain or just Husky bs'ing a little ;)

Both versions running same bar, same chain, carbs adjusted equally, I doubt you will notice the difference of .1 hp. ;)

Best saw in it's class ever built. Only one under 59 cc able to pull 3/8 chain. The 55 is our most popular saw and we sell the orange and white ones too.

canguy21 said:
Best saw in it's class ever built. Only one under 59 cc able to pull 3/8 chain. The 55 is our most popular saw and we sell the orange and white ones too.

Geez don't tell that to all the 026/260 owners running 3/8's chain on their 48.7cc saws, will they ever be surprised.

Thanks guys that made for some interesting reading!
Hey canguy do you really think it was the best saw in its class ever built?
And from what i have read there is some discrepency about whether $250 is a good price or not.

$250.00 is too much for a used 55 unless it is a very nearly new saw, in demonstrator condition. Heck its only a 55 model and its power to weight ratio is not impressive.

Lobo said:
$250.00 is too much for a used 55 unless it is a very nearly new saw, in demonstrator condition. Heck its only a 55 model and its power to weight ratio is not impressive.

Thanks Lobo!

Latest posts

Back