What's this? Problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big is an earwig... like you said, just there for the moisture and decomposing whatever.

Cut off the small encircling roots...but these are the ones that really need to come off - and they won't be fun. Will require a chisel (or lately I've been using an oscillating multi-tool) and care not to damage the bark underneath.
View attachment 844382View attachment 844383
Ok. So I basically need to cut off anything that seems to be encircling the trunk instead of growing away?

Also, in the article that was posted I read that Agri-fos can be used as a curative. Is this a good idea?

I removed most of what was suggested I get rid of today. I've included a few pictures. I definitely was afraid to remove too much because I didn't want to harm the bark underneath. You can see in the east and north pictures that there is definitely fresh wood showing, but that is because I was afraid to remove the root too close to the tree and cause more damage.

Are there any other roots I should remove?

I read that I could apply Agri-fos to help treat the phytophthora . Is this a good idea?

South side.jpgEast side.jpgNorth side.jpg

What are your curing? Prescription without diagnosis is malpractice.

Agri-phos is now Reliant....

The big is an earwig... like you said, just there for the moisture and decomposing whatever.

Cut off the small encircling roots...but these are the ones that really need to come off - and they won't be fun. Will require a chisel (or lately I've been using an oscillating multi-tool) and care not to damage the bark underneath.
More likely phytophthora bleeding canker than phytophthora root rot:

If you recall, you suggested that the tree has phytophthora bleeding canker and said to remove the roots that were encircling the trunk of the tree. That's what I did today and I posted pictures to show the work that I did just to make sure there aren't any other roots that I should go after.

You also posted an article from the UMass Amherst website that suggested to spray the tree with Agri-Fos. The article states that it has "proven very effective against Phytophthora.

The roots surrounding the bottom of the trunk is a process termed “girdling”. They restrict water and nutrients and eventually rot will set in. As far as application of any chemical treatment against disease you need to be accurate as to what you are treating. The only way to be assured of that is to hire a local arborist.

The roots surrounding the bottom of the trunk is a process termed “girdling”. They restrict water and nutrients and eventually rot will set in. As far as application of any chemical treatment against disease you need to be accurate as to what you are treating. The only way to be assured of that is to hire a local arborist.
Yes. I understand.

I plan on sending in a sample to UMASS. I am familiar with them; I've sent in several soil samples over the years. I anticipate this forum is correct in its diagnosis though.

How did i do removing the threatening roots?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

My point was wait until you get the report back. Reliant won't hurt...but see what the diagnosis is first, then treat.

As for the roots...looks pretty good. the one on the east side should be cut just a little more. If you can find a place to chisel a piece (without damaging the bark of the tree) so it isn't connected, that would be better. Best would be taking that whole piece off. The wood we see is root, and there is another side to the bark. If it is embedded too much to cut without damaging the trunk bark, I wouldn't dig it all out, just make that last cut.

The root looks like it is still connected. One more cut should sever that connection. This will allow the tree to grow in diameter unrestricted.

Holy Cow! I cut out much of that root today. Some of it just popped right out and then some of it I had to chip away at piece by piece. I don't have a picture to upload, maybe tomorrow. The tree literally grew around the root....and a small rock.

I probably got around 85% - 90% of it. The only part I didn't get was not connected to the tree, but grown into another part of a much larger root. I'm going to take a sample to the CT Extension on Monday. I think they'll take a look at it and let me know what's going on....quickly and free of charge.

So here are the AFTER photos. I think I did an ok job removing most of the girdling roots now. The tree shouldn't really be choking any more, although there is one root that might be causing some damage, but it's really large and I'm afraid to touch it.

I also got the test results back from my local AG. Extension. The sample tested negative for Phytophthora Bleeding Canker. The gentleman also looked at the pictures and said that the damage is most likely caused by the roots. However, like pretty much everyone here, he also said that it might be too late.

North.jpgSouth.jpg

Looks much better! You are at least giving it a chance.

Just make a cut where those 2 parallel roots are lighter in color, even if you don't dig the root out, it will help.

Looks much better! You are at least giving it a chance.

Just make a cut where those 2 parallel roots are lighter in color, even if you don't dig the root out, it will help.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to seem ignorant, but can you point out the parallel roots you are referring to?

Back