What's this SRT technique called?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The boss brought in a second climber today who was using this sort-of elaborate SRT system that I'm not familiar with. He gave me a quick demonstration, but I'm trying to learn more.
It's all a single rope anchored in the canopy with an Alpine and a carabiner girth hitch style. He left a short tail at the top with a pulley carabiner at the end. Basic VT and a rope wrench setup, but then his tail fed back up to the pulley in the canopy and back down to the ground.

What is this called?

The boss brought in a second climber today who was using this sort-of elaborate SRT system that I'm not familiar with. He gave me a quick demonstration, but I'm trying to learn more.
It's all a single rope anchored in the canopy with an Alpine and a carabiner girth hitch style. He left a short tail at the top with a pulley carabiner at the end. Basic VT and a rope wrench setup, but then his tail fed back up to the pulley in the canopy and back down to the ground.

What is this called?

A 'pull down' I believe. Or something like that.

At any rate it is set up so he can pull down the alpine butterfly from the ground without having to climb up to his anchor point. I like this a lot more than just running over an limb and anchoring to another tree base because it does not multiply the load on the anchor point by 2X the climbers weight when in use.

A disadvantage would be that if the climber were to pass out he could not be lowered to the ground by the ground crew. I don't like that option much anyway because usually my ground crew is on the ground for a good reason, i.e. they don't know the ropes!

At any rate it is set up so he can pull down the alpine butterfly from the ground without having to climb up to his anchor point. I like this a lot more than just running over an limb and anchoring to another tree base because it does not multiply the load on the anchor point by 2X the climbers weight when in use.

A disadvantage would be that if the climber were to pass out he could not be lowered to the ground by the ground crew. I don't like that option much anyway because usually my ground crew is on the ground for a good reason, i.e. they don't know the ropes!
So, what is the advantage of running the tail through the pulley rather than just tying your alpine with enough tail to reach the ground?

So, what is the advantage of running the tail through the pulley rather than just tying your alpine with enough tail to reach the ground?

The only advantage might be a 2/1 mechanical advantage on the pull down.

A disadvantage is that the rope would need to be 3 time plus some the length of the height of the tie in point. A serious disadvantage IMO.

So, what is the advantage of running the tail through the pulley rather than just tying your alpine with enough tail

A disadvantage is that the rope would need to be 3 time plus some the length of the height of the tie in point. A serious disadvantage IMO.
Well, you only gain that advantage if you're near the tail. Any time you're on a limb you're back to regular SRT.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose it would be nice to head out on a limb without dragging your tail with you.

But, yes. The guy told me that that he was climbing with 300 ft. of rope, which is just too much for me.

So, what is the advantage of running the tail through the pulley rather than just tying your alpine with enough tail

Well, you only gain that advantage if you're near the tail. Any time you're on a limb you're back to regular SRT.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I suppose it would be nice to head out on a limb without dragging your tail with you.

But, yes. The guy told me that that he was climbing with 300 ft. of rope, which is just too much.

But, yes. The guy told me that that he was climbing with 300 ft. of rope, which is just too much.

By 'pull down' I was meaning removing the system from the tree. I didn't consider that the biner/pulley may keep the tail out of the way.

The only srt I've done if for access to the tree. Then I switch over to doubled rope using a Vt. Not the smarted system as I need to climb to the tie in point. On the other hand I do often use a gasoline powered ascending device, the Wraptor.

By 'pull down' I was meaning removing the system from the tree. I didn't consider that the biner/pulley may keep the tail out of the way.

The only srt I've done if for access to the tree. Then I switch over to doubled rope using a Vt. Not the smarted system as I need to climb to the tie in point. On the other hand I do often use a gasoline powered ascending device, the Wrapter.
I usually spike my way up and tie in old school. It's mostly removals around here.

The only srt I've done if for access to the tree. Then I switch over to doubled rope using a Vt. Not the smarted system as I need to climb to the tie in point. On the other hand I do often use a gasoline powered ascending device, the Wraptor.
I use the wraptor occasionally. I love it. I would be using it much more if I didn’t have Lifty and the bucket!
What do you think of the ronin, Del? Ever tried one? It looks pretty cool. The idea of being able to ascend and descend with it sounds pretty nice.

Do you tie into the ronin separately like the wraptor? I think that’s a huge safety feature right there, probably enough to keep me using the wraptor if not.

I use the wraptor occasionally. I love it. I would be using it much more if I didn’t have Lifty and the bucket!
What do you think of the ronin, Del? Ever tried one? It looks pretty cool. The idea of being able to ascend and descend with it sounds pretty nice.

Do you tie into the ronin separately like the wraptor? I think that’s a huge safety feature right there, probably enough to keep me using the wraptor if not.

I've heard of the Ronin but I don't know anything about it. Ascending and descending both would be great. I've had my wraptor ten or twelve years, maybe more, I can't remember. Electric would have some big advantages.

I usually just Raptor up and then get on my old Vt double rope system. Sometimes I work off of the Wraptor but I don't like how it rubs against the tree as I'm moving around and it is a heavy chunk too when moving around if it's not way above you.

The guy i work with will regularly set a micro pulley below his termination to assist on long climbs. You could use a prussic, an alpine butterfly, or an ascender. You don't have to only set it up near your termination, if you are moving around and find you in a crappy spot you could throw your ascender on the rope right in front of you with a pulley clipped on and push it up a couple feet and give yourself a 3 to 1 you can also push it up with a polesaw to get more travel. My buddy uses a zig zag which has the built in pulley. So the line comes out of the zig zag up to a pulley that is on his working end then back down and provides near effortless movement. Best part is you could have a groundy pull you up, haha.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What’s the advantage of lowering on the Ronan? I mean, if your there, why not just lower on your hitch?

Typically because it’s a pita using doubled rope technique(s) to get back up to the wraptor, and it likes to smash itself off the trunk while doing so in a real world scenario. Lol

Edit: I mean like if you have further to go and just need to walk out a bit for a hanger, or whatever.

What is this called?
it's most likely to make his canopy anchor retrievable. It also can be used as a slack tender on long limb walks back to the trunk.

It"s not quite 2x the load it's more like 1.4x

Back