Whats your chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigwelder83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So business is good, and we are growing! I started with an old bandit 200 w/ a ford 6cyl gas. Thirsty bugger... took a few years off trees, and got back into it. Now I'm running a bandit 90 w/ a deutz f3l motor. Much more fuel efficient. But I wanna upgrade my chipper. What are you all running? Should I go drum instead of disk? I have a chip box on my bucket & a 1 ton with a chip box.

Attachments

• 20210416_085808.jpg
    20210416_085808.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 43
So business is good, and we are growing! I started with an old bandit 200 w/ a ford 6cyl gas. Thirsty bugger... took a few years off trees, and got back into it. Now I'm running a bandit 90 w/ a deutz f3l motor. Much more fuel efficient. But I wanna upgrade my chipper. What are you all running? Should I go drum instead of disk? I have a chip box on my bucket & a 1 ton with a chip box.
I've owned a bandit 90 with deutz. Great reliable machine.

We currently run a woodchuck wc17 with a Ford 6 cyl gas and an altec 1317 with 87hp diesel. As long as the knives are sharp both work great for what we we do (mostly spruce and ash removals right now). If you can get your hands on another bandit 200 that will get you well on your way. Anything larger wont be safe to be towed by your chip truck.

We have Morbarks and Vermeers. The Vermeers are the back-up chippers to our Morbarks. Knock on wood but our Morbarks don't generally need back-ups so the Vermeers just sit around like bench warmers in the 3rd inning. But we keep them just in case.

That Bandit 90XP you got is an amazing machine and perfect for a 1 ton chip truck. I wouldn’t want bigger unless you’re cool with pulling it around with your bucket truck every time the chip truck is getting heavy.

That Bandit 90XP you got is an amazing machine and perfect for a 1 ton chip truck. I wouldn’t want bigger unless you’re cool with pulling it around with your bucket truck every time the chip truck is getting heavy.
My bucket truck rarely gets chips. So much handier to have the chipper where you need it rather than where it has to be.

Besides the fuel how does does 90xp compare to a 200

Besides the fuel how does does 90xp compare to a 200
Knives seem to go quicker. But the 200 was a 4 pocket chipper the 90 is a 2. Other wise, might feed a touch slower, but more grunt and very simular capacity. Oh the 90 makes a smaller nicer chip too.
But neither are the morbark 17 I upgraded to.

Thanks for getting back looking at a bandit 90xp diesel for $10.000 and a bandit 200 with a Ford gas both machines are unknown hours for the same money .

We run a bandit 990xp. It has become the 12xp in their current lineup. 85hp kubota diesel. We tow it behind an f550 with a 11.5 ft bed most of the time. We do use the chip box on our bucket truck when doing larger jobs. The chipper is a nice balance of weight vs capability. Its still light enough we can tow it with my f250 if blowing chip into the woods. We can move it woth our mini skid but I wouldnt want to move a heavier chipper.

I have had a Bandit 1390 XP for around 5 years; bought it new; with financing interest, I think I paid a bit over 60k for it. Its a 15 inch with feed rollers, big diesel engine, four blades, and a winch. Yes, that is pricey -- but this sucker essentially eats anything. You can stuff the chute with big limbs (forks and all), and then turn on the machine and it disappears. Doubt smaller machines can deal with that.

Wish I could post the video of it eating an 80 ft. English elm. The technique for a large log or tree is to use the winch to get the butt into the feed rollers (and there is a lever you grab to open the rollers); once it is feeding (grinds in pulses), you take the rope off, usually attached by choking it wit a steel carabiner), and let to go. If needed, you can attach the rope farther down to help stuff it in the machine with the winch. That 80 ft. elm was gone in about 5 min.

I started our renting much smaller chippers from a crap rental business that sent out dull chippers -- while insisting they were "sharp". I was gonna let one burn one time when it couldn't chip a modest sized pine branch, and just started smoking... but didn't . Wasn't the machine's fault. My climber kind of talked me into getting the 1300XP (it wasn't his money!), but I do not regret it.

I grease the hell out of it (extends life of all kinds of moving parts), and because it is so efficient, you don't have to run it for hours at a time -- more like 10 - 15 min. to chip 15m - 20 piles of brush or logs. Even doing big removals, you might run it for 2 hours in a 10 hr. day. Haven't checked the hours lately, but I am sure the machine has held a lot of its value.

I have learned that buying used equipment can cost you -- like who knew it needed a rebuild immediately? And that warranty you paid a few extra grand for -- who knew that the warranty company won't pay for top of the line parts and service? (read the fine print!). I learned this the hard way when I bought an '08 Chevy Kodiak 4-wheel drive dump truck -- first thing I had to do was replace the turbos, and the warranty company first made me have the gas tank professionally cleaned and painted (had some rust inside), and all the fuel lines replaced, and then wouldn't pay for that ("preexisting condition"), nor the turbo replacement beyond 50%, because I didn't use their preferred parts and repair shop. Why would I go down market to repair a truck I just paid 50k for that was nearly new?

I was so pissed I didn't even put in the paperwork for the claim. Of course the truck had one of those stickers saying it was checked for "100 things, and no problems!" Somehow they missed the rusty tank, and that someone had put black tape over one of the idiot lights on the dash!! (that alerted you to the failing turbos).

Sorry for the thread hijack... but you might consider buying a new chipper!

I have a 7" Wallenstein chipper (BXTR6438) with a 35hp gas motor. It's been awesome and a big quality of life upgrade over trailering everything. For example, the option to chip on site is sweet. Or use chip drop for getting rid of debris.

I also store it in my garage due to it's small size, and still have room for other equip, work table, walking around etc. It's tight but it works for me.

It runs strong for it's size but I would never suggest it for a full time operation. Decent for part time where you don't aren't making the income to justify the big payments on a large unit.

1980's Altec Whisper Chipper
Ford 300-6 with upgraded GM Style HEI distributer
Runs like a stripped ass ape
I do not try anything larger than 6" and try to keep under 5"
But for my first $1500.00 chipper it gets'er done

I have an altec DC1317 12" chipper with 87hp diesel and a 12" Woodchuck WC17 with a ford 300 gas motor. I've also owned an altec chuck and duck and Diesel Bandit 90xp.

My favorite? The old gasser woodchuck!

Very small chipper, but reliable, well made, easy enough to maintain, and if I ever need to do any work on it, accessibility to everything looks easy.
I think the year is 2012. Bandit 65XP with a couple factory upgrades. Auto feed works fine, 12” wide infeed and 32.5HP Kubota gas instead of the stock 25 or 27HP, I think the stocks were Kohler.
It will take a full 6” diameter.
I learned quickly that a lot of stuff needs a little attention from a small chainsaw to make it chipper friendly. Rather than trim stuff off the pieces, I’ve been cutting most stuff 3/4 of the way through, and it breaks off on it’s own when it gets to the feed wheel.

Nice chipper for my needs, keeps me from chipping all the firewood and at around 2200 pounds, I usually can keep the load under max weight.

Got it used, 280 hours for 8500$.

I do wish I had something bigger when I get into conifers, poplars, willow, and other light wood.
One day I’d like a 12” or 15” Bandit.
08C0C1CF-D5BD-4E5C-A51E-F9EDF823631D.jpeg

Started new biz last year and had the money/financing, so got me a new 2019 Morbark 1621. 16' x 21" throat opening, Perkins Pacific 122HP diesel (newer, so needs DEF; ARRRGGHHHH!!!), and the factory installed 5000 lb winch. Runs behind my 2000 IH4700 18yd chip truck. Eats the majority of my work, so is my main piece of gear on most jobs.

1621_ih4700.jpg

Started new biz last year and had the money/financing, so got me a new 2019 Morbark 1621. 16' x 21" throat opening, Perkins Pacific 122HP diesel (newer, so needs DEF; ARRRGGHHHH!!!), and the factory installed 5000 lb winch. Runs behind my 2000 IH4700 18yd chip truck. Eats the majority of my work, so is my main piece of gear on most jobs.

View attachment 942142

Nice. What’s the big deal about the DEF?

Nice setup @BeerGeek, that looks like a great rig. I'd love to upgrade to something like that down the road.

Do you find that cabinet setup sufficient for tool storage? Crew of 2?

Latest posts

Back