When good- goes Bad..... 066 style.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Found a local guy wanting rid of some 066 parts cheap. Newer 066 parts- decomps and poly flywheel types.
So we agree on a price, I drive down to do the exchange, a small token amount of cash in return for a fairly large cardboard box full of bits.
Amongst the bits was at least one "complete" 066 with the cylinder still attached, intake system attached- just missing a muffler and all the covers- so it got picked on first.

I should have taken photos of the rest, but the cylinder interior was mysteriously clean- apart from a grey/white coating inside the transfers. The piston had some scoring, but the top of the piston had metallic debris imbedded in it and pitted to hell, compression was way down and overly worn rings the culprit.
Cleaned up what I had, almost thinking running problems lead to past user/owner using starter fluid in an attempt to fix it with a can? (to justify the white deposits and clean cylinder interior- no carbon!) sanded up the piston, new rings, forgot the base gasket and put it back together.
Checked spark- was none.
Changed coil for another 1314 one, no spark. Top mounting bolt was stripped out- so I replaced it temporary with a longer 5mm screw that catches some thread- replaced the lower one with 6mm.
Still no go, no go still after around 5 coil swaps including the one off a known running 066, swapped plugs for known good ones, swapped ignition leads for known good ones, disconnected kill switch wires.....
Still no go.

It was about then I started thinking, if the bolts were loose/ stripped and the coil could move, could the flywheel rub the coil and booger up the magnets?
Swap 1217 poly flywheel for another 1217 poly flywheel- use original 1314 coil and we have spark! Connect kill switch wires and we still have spark!
Prime the carb and the saw runs! Is almost worth a you suck post...... maybe later.

Bad flywheel taken out- note the rub marks on uppermost fins.

image0 (8).jpeg

Back of bad flywheel.

image1 (3).jpeg

"New" flywheel fitted and coil held with irregular bolts!
image2 (1).jpeg

Found a local guy wanting rid of some 066 parts cheap. Newer 066 parts- decomps and poly flywheel types.
So we agree on a price, I drive down to do the exchange, a small token amount of cash in return for a fairly large cardboard box full of bits.
Amongst the bits was at least one "complete" 066 with the cylinder still attached, intake system attached- just missing a muffler and all the covers- so it got picked on first.

I should have taken photos of the rest, but the cylinder interior was mysteriously clean- apart from a grey/white coating inside the transfers. The piston had some scoring, but the top of the piston had metallic debris imbedded in it and pitted to hell, compression was way down and overly worn rings the culprit.
Cleaned up what I had, almost thinking running problems lead to past user/owner using starter fluid in an attempt to fix it with a can? (to justify the white deposits and clean cylinder interior- no carbon!) sanded up the piston, new rings, forgot the base gasket and put it back together.
Checked spark- was none.
Changed coil for another 1314 one, no spark. Top mounting bolt was stripped out- so I replaced it temporary with a longer 5mm screw that catches some thread- replaced the lower one with 6mm.
Still no go, no go still after around 5 coil swaps including the one off a known running 066, swapped plugs for known good ones, swapped ignition leads for known good ones, disconnected kill switch wires.....
Still no go.

It was about then I started thinking, if the bolts were loose/ stripped and the coil could move, could the flywheel rub the coil and booger up the magnets?
Swap 1217 poly flywheel for another 1217 poly flywheel- use original 1314 coil and we have spark! Connect kill switch wires and we still have spark!
Prime the carb and the saw runs! Is almost worth a you suck post...... maybe later.

Bad flywheel taken out- note the rub marks on uppermost fins.

View attachment 907286

Back of bad flywheel.

View attachment 907287

"New" flywheel fitted and coil held with irregular bolts!
View attachment 907288
Interesting. Did you use a business card to gap it? I have a 461 that had the crank bearings fail and the flywheel nailed the coil pretty hard (read: way nastier looking than yours). No spark with the mashed coil so I put a new coil in, gapped it with a business card, and still no spark. Before I put a new flywheel on, I read the tech book on coil gaps and set it to the .008? it said it required and viola! I had spark! If you used a business card, perhaps the magnets' strength was compromised by the impact and it would require a tighter gap to spark. If you used the fancy tool, my theory goes out the window.

Interesting. Did you use a business card to gap it? I have a 461 that had the crank bearings fail and the flywheel nailed the coil pretty hard (read: way nastier looking than yours). No spark with the mashed coil so I put a new coil in, gapped it with a business card, and still no spark. Before I put a new flywheel on, I read the tech book on coil gaps and set it to the .008? it said it required and viola! I had spark! If you used a business card, perhaps the magnets' strength was compromised by the impact and it would require a tighter gap to spark. If you used the fancy tool, my theory goes out the window.

There is a fancy tool???? Probably available in Australia?
I used a business card- but it was for the head guy at my local Stihl shop- so at least it was an OEM card.

I did try several of the often proffered air gap settings, no good on the original flywheel. But will admit, just rotating the wheel by hand to locate the magnets to set the gap- magnetism seemed way down on what you might normally feel and although noticed- I did not consider it a huge deal- at the time- until unbolting about the 5th or 6th coil combination!
It is not something you come across every day- can't think of the last one I saw where it was NOT the coil...... it is always the coil..... until it isn't the coil!

There is a fancy tool???? Probably available in Australia?
I used a business card- but it was for the head guy at my local Stihl shop- so at least it was an OEM card.

I did try several of the often proffered air gap settings, no good on the original flywheel. But will admit, just rotating the wheel by hand to locate the magnets to set the gap- magnetism seemed way down on what you might normally feel and although noticed- I did not consider it a huge deal- at the time- until unbolting about the 5th or 6th coil combination!
It is not something you come across every day- can't think of the last one I saw where it was NOT the coil...... it is always the coil..... until it isn't the coil!
Ask @Gaudaost if they make a fancy tool in Aus, my boss had one at the shop but I use a business card or feeler gauges at home. I asked a truly knowledgeable shop near me if magnets could "go bad" and was told no, but I'll admit it is puzzling.

Ask @Gaudaost if they make a fancy tool in Aus, my boss had one at the shop but I use a business card or feeler gauges at home. I asked a truly knowledgeable shop near me if magnets could "go bad" and was told no, but I'll admit it is puzzling.

I have seen a trained Stihl tech accidentally drop one of the alloy flywheels on the floor after replacing seals- no visible exterior damage- but that flywheel was poked after thumping the concrete!
Something to do with the shock reversing polarity or shattering the internal magnets- I am not totally sure, above my pay grade! But replacing the flywheel fixed the no go after assembly and the tech got a chewing out from the boss- the job didn't make money- it cost money!

I have no idea of the saws past history, so anything is possible. Could have been worse- at least with the poly flywheel 10mm nut 066's, there are pretty limited combinations to try before you run out of ideas as to why it don't run.

I have seen a trained Stihl tech accidentally drop one of the alloy flywheels on the floor after replacing seals- no visible exterior damage- but that flywheel was poked after thumping the concrete!
Something to do with the shock reversing polarity or shattering the internal magnets- I am not totally sure, above my pay grade! But replacing the flywheel fixed the no go after assembly and the tech got a chewing out from the boss- the job didn't make money- it cost money!

I have no idea of the saws past history, so anything is possible. Could have been worse- at least with the poly flywheel 10mm nut 066's, there are pretty limited combinations to try before you run out of ideas as to why it don't run.
Reversed polarity I have heard of, as well as funny timing on Dolmar 133's making them run backwards!?

I just finished an late model 066 build from a box of parts and working on the second saw. Thanks for sharing

Just seems to be the 1122 family- something about ignitions on those seems to be in the magical fairy department. Confusing often- but the poly flywheel ones are meant to be pretty fool proof- this one fooled me for a while!

Dolmar 133- you might as well be speaking to me in Spanish!
No knowledge of the Dolmar clan, nor their recent Smurf cousins.
¿Polaridad invertida de la que he oído hablar, así como el momento divertido en Dolmar 133 haciéndolos correr hacia atrás!?

Still no go, no go still after around 5 coil swaps including the one off a known running 066,
Why’d you stop at 5?! That’s not enough to tell if the coil is the issue ..:laughing:

What do they say about insanity? Repeating the same thing over and over with the same result?

Free advice - You arent as good as you think you are, spend more time learning from others and less time being a jerk on here - it will help you on your own journey Bob :drinkingcoffee:

Why’d you stop at 5?! That’s not enough to tell if the coil is the issue ..:laughing:

What do they say about insanity? Repeating the same thing over and over with the same result?

Free advice - You aren't as good as you think you are, spend more time learning from others on here and less time being a jerk - it will help you on your own journey Bob

:drinkingcoffee:
How was Bob being a jerk? I'm being a jerk to him by cluttering up his thread with useless, harassing posts but I fail to see how he's being a jerk.

How was Bob being a jerk? I'm being a jerk to him by cluttering up his thread with useless, harassing posts but I fail to see how he's being a jerk.
Bob has been a jerk towards me a few months after I joined the site and to other members too..

Every post I make he will stalk me to find and then take the piss constantly, in a subtle but very demeaning way - often times you or others miss it if you don’t know the context, instead of actually offering good advice.

He hates to see others succeed, and when they do or when they progress he try’s to put them down - narcissism 101...

I’m here to learn and improve from great knowledgeable guys on here - I ignore his stupidity, but I see it as ironic that his issues he posts about are so basic and easy and yet he gives everyone else **** for fault finding or overcoming challenges that are far more complicated than he ever posts about and asks for advice on. Basic things like needles that aren’t seating, lines leaking or in this case changing 5 coils for a flywheel rubbing that cause him no end of trouble, yet he mocks others on this site that are far above his knowledge level.

Deep down he’s probably an ok bloke and he’s just got long in the tooth, he use to help others, but now days, towards me and anyone else who wants to learn on this forum, it’s well known that he’s a total jerk - this isn’t anything new.. he’ll dish it to no end even though he’s not in any position to do so with his experience / knowledge even though he’ll make out he’s a vet, but can’t take it..
Enough said, I’ll leave it there and continue to ignore him..

I don't see where Bob has done anything wrong. @cuinrearview follows me around to take shots but hey if you have haters you are doing something right..

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Cuinrearview, Bob and Rupe are a little threesome.. Bob’s somewhat subtle and you’ll only know if you know the context - it’s done in a demeaning, sarcastic and derogatory way, the other two are more obnoxious.

You’re right, I guess I am, I have had multiple offers to work at my local Stihl dealer and working on the second rebuild / restoration for the owner, it’s just sad their joy and entertainment in life come from being jerks on a forum.

Just calling a spade and spade..

Anyway I’ll leave it there, I’m not going to say any more and will continue to ignore him rather than get caught up in his crap.

Latest posts

Back