When good- goes Bad..... 066 style.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there room on the site for more video content? I work on more than 6 every couple of years- even rebuild a Kohler 161 a couple of days ago- so there might be some 4 stroke content as well- you might have to upgrade the server to hold more digibites.
I am sure the site can accommodate ya, what with all that experience n stuff a few vids with over dub would be excellent teaching mats.

I am sure the site can accommodate ya, what with all that experience n stuff a few vids with over dub would be excellent teaching mats.
That is possibly the problem nowadays- everyone wants to learn from a screen on a handheld device, go from novice to expert level over a lockdown period of youtube viewing and decide hey, I could do that.

That is possibly the problem nowadays- everyone wants to learn from a screen on a handheld device, go from novice to expert level over a lockdown period of youtube viewing and decide hey, I could do that.
Yep. I am not like those hacks, I didn't need the lockdown or Youtube to decide I knew how to do a case up rebuild. It didn't matter that the most saw wrenching I'd done before then was replacing an MS250 carb and fuel line, how hard could it be to rebuild a whole saw? :laugh:

Yep. I am not like those hacks, I didn't need the lockdown or Youtube to decide I knew how to do a case up rebuild. It didn't matter that the most saw wrenching I'd done before then was replacing an MS250 carb and fuel line, how hard could it be to rebuild a whole saw? :laugh:

Could have been worse- you could have started with an MS180. :laugh:

Well if you started at a higher level- how come you are not making videos yet?
I ain't a video guy, heck I consider myself lucky if I remember to take my phone down with me and snap a few pics. A video would be way too much work, and I am not nearly skilled enough to teach others how to tinker on saws.

I ain't a video guy, heck I consider myself lucky if I remember to take my phone down with me and snap a few pics. A video would be way too much work, and I am not nearly skilled enough to teach others how to tinker on saws.

The skill factor never stopped no one before!

They go on the list of Stihl models that slipped past the goalie and should never have made it out of the design drawing department!
Here's the MS 441cm that I rebuilt. A guy gave it to me after he straight gassed it to death. It runs beautifully now, but I assure you I will never rebuild another one. I believe I spent 15 hours of sheer frustration:
Stihl MS441C M-Tronic.JPG
I've swapped out the 20" bar with a 25". Nice saw for noodle cutting big rounds.

Here's the MS 441cm that I rebuilt. A guy gave it to me after he straight gassed it to death. It runs beautifully now, but I assure you I will never rebuild another one. I believe I spent 15 hours of sheer frustration:
View attachment 930037
I've swapped out the 20" bar with a 25". Nice saw for noodle cutting big rounds.
I'd take a 044 or 038M over a 441

I've built hundreds of saws using the business card trick, never had a problem.
I recently checked the thickness of a number of business cards with a mic, they ranged from .008” to .018” with one measuring .011250”. If one had a coil that was at 100% then that variation in air gap might be a minor issue, however if the coil is not working at 100% then the correct air gap become a critical dimension.

I recently checked the thickness of a number of business cards with a mic, they ranged from .008” to .018” with one measuring .011250”. If one had a coil that was at 100% then that variation in air gap might be a minor issue, however if the coil is not working at 100% then the correct air gap become a critical dimension.
I measure the thickness of the card first before I use it to set the gap. The one I use measures 0.01".

Latest posts

Back