When good- goes Bad..... 066 style.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim, Bob and I have probably helped more people on this forum than you will ever help. I will only speak for myself when I see you as Mr. clean, Mr. perfect and don't question what I say. You have been here for less that two years but swagger around like you are the owner. Sorry but that is my myopic, long in the tooth, condescending view.

12274462_10208309204513094_1422848551988555614_n.jpg

On another front, ya gotta love it when a guy who didn't know what a spark plug was 6 months ago now struts around like he's Rudolf Fugging Diesel or Werner von Fugging Braun.
"How many Planck Lengths is your ring-end gap? My yardstick shows 948,862,877,650,409.00848184629950383883 give or take one ten-trillionth of a Planck length, but I should be able to clean that up with the 600k grit jeweller's rouge that I'm using to sharpen my falling spikes with..." [puffs and buffs his fingernails:] "They're all just the standard skills of an ordained chainsaw shaman, Cliffy..."

You wouldn't have made it here...years ago, its very tame now.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My whole life I’ve thought dealing with bs and verbal harassment was part of getting help from the guys with experience, no joke. All of my friends are older than me, most are 50+ and I’m used to harassing them and being harassed by them, all in good fun. I enjoy verbal sparring with everyone and at a gtg a few weeks ago where I met @rupedoggy we all talked saws, ran saws, talked bs, and I believe we all had a good time. In my mind, trading good-natured bs with someone means you’re now friends.

My whole life I’ve thought dealing with bs and verbal harassment was part of getting help from the guys with experience, no joke. All of my friends are older than me, most are 50+ and I’m used to harassing them and being harassed by them, all in good fun. I enjoy verbal sparring with everyone and at a gtg a few weeks ago where I met @rupedoggy we all talked saws, ran saws, talked bs, and I believe we all had a good time. In my mind, trading good-natured bs with someone means you’re now friends.
The internet simply isnt for everyone...

Why’d you stop at 5?! That’s not enough to tell if the coil is the issue ..:laughing:

What do they say about insanity? Repeating the same thing over and over with the same result?

Free advice - You arent as good as you think you are, spend more time learning from others and less time being a jerk on here - it will help you on your own journey Bob :drinkingcoffee:

Dead right, I never claimed to know everything, nor bounce the experience of others. There were coils came in the big box of bits I bought, I have coils floating around here from various scrap saws, parts bundles- I have/had no idea if they were good bad or otherwise- so I tried them as undoing and doing up a couple of bolts is pretty simple work and I can handle simple work okay and 99% of the time is IS the coil (you will learn that as you go along), in this case it was not and yep, I didn't even consider it for a start as it was a good condition clean faced flywheel. Hence the reason for the post- try a search, bet you will not come up with many references of faulty flywheels- but faulty coils will get you plenty of hits.

Now, it must be near your nap time Tommy boy?

Heat kills magnetism, if the magnets got hot from friction, that would do it

Yep, heat could also be an added ingredient. I guess the coil could still have been spaced enough via the plastic fins so as not to be in direct steel to steel contact, the saw still run and the heat transfer. Plus it was a dirty saw and shows signs of having been run hot.
Basically I did enough to see if it would run. Now that has been established, a more thorough going over of it can be done- might even check the squish to see if leaving out the base gasket was a wise move!

Dad has replaced 2 poly 660 wheels on saws due to magnets.
No damage,both saws just stopped.
Interesting, I can honestly say I have not seen it on a poly flywheel before personally, nor can I recall anyone complaining about it when 066's ruled the forest up and down our wee corner of the World.
Maybe those saws were just shelved as non running parts saws and a new one gotten? Time is money and if your saw don't run when you cut trees for a living......
Probably a few headache trashed 066 660's out there with good coils and faulty flywheels!

It is strange.
Both saws were only about 3 months (not as in s#) apart for the same problem.
That is the advantage you have with knowing the saws history- for all I know, this 066 might have been wearing a 660 flywheel from that same vintage of production- maybe it was a bad batch?
It is pretty much a Kiwi loggers thing, bust, break, or have a saw quit, you keep it, stash it in the shed for parts and get a new one- use the broken saws to keep the #1 and #2 saws going, taking them back to the Stihl shop is an absolute last resort!

I don't see where Bob has done anything wrong. @cuinrearview follows me around to take shots but hey if you have haters you are doing something right..

You got on my radar with the 350 build with all of the China ****, and then going on about the 70:1 soy sauce oil... I figured I'd better say something before a newb comes along and wrecks a good saw because they saw some garbage you posted.

I have a ms660 flywheel that has no damage and the North side magnet is dead. Went through the saw until I narrowed it down to that (it was showing spark at the plug). Now that is one of the first checks when working on one as I use a screwdriver to see if the N/S poles are magnetic. Worked on a MS180 for a guy a few days ago. He said from new it did not run like it should and nobody could figure it out. I took the flywheel off and compared it with another I had. The OEM flywheel key was molded about 2cm off and it would spudder and spat around. I mounted a new flywheel and it ran like it should.

So, seeing as how I have a couple of 3003 mount bars with .404 tips on them, thinking about turning this saw once gone over, into a dedicated .404 saw.
Does the standard oiler have the ability to oil a 36" bar in softwoods?
I am thinking it will be at the limits and would be better with the larger flow pump- might get a Farmertec one, what you reckon Tantrum Tommy?

So, seeing as how I have a couple of 3003 mount bars with .404 tips on them, thinking about turning this saw once gone over, into a dedicated .404 saw.
Does the standard oiler have the ability to oil a 36" bar in softwoods?
I am thinking it will be at the limits and would be better with the larger flow pump- might get a Farmertec one, what you reckon Tantrum Tommy?
A buddy runs a 36 inch, 3/8 x .063 setup on his 066, yours should handle it fine I'd think. Also, I've seen a guy run a 36 on a 461 full-time, as well as a 42 on a 660 and both oiled their bars well, so I'd run it and see.

Back