When to rely on nature and when to prune?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Fungus on dead or suffering limbs causes me concern for the whole tree. I'm aware that trees have the ability to protect themselves and a superficial understanding of the 4 types of compartmentalization. Observation, seems to have taught me that these defenses don't always work. Sometimes the fungus wins and the tree eventually dies. Am I right? If so, is there a way to know early on, before the cellular battle occurs at the branch union, whether one can relax with assurance that the tree will take care of itself or if it is critical the infected limb be pruned?

In case your response is tree species specific, I'm specifically concerned about oaks, black cherry, elm, and ash.
Your response may also be fungus species specific. In this case, I'm referring to a common fungus, the one with big hard mushrooms. I realize oak wilt is another more deadly animal. It gets a lot of attention and am familiar with it. I realize by saying "common fungus", I'm showing my ignorance but I hope the answer does not require familiarity with numerous fungus types.

Latest posts

Back