Where are the employees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralvalleytree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first thread, but i'm just curious what people have experienced here. Our company is Central Valley Tree and Arborist Services. This company was started in 2001, but we took it over in 2015. My question is,
why is it so hard to find workers?
We've been good to our guys and are trying to get in front of what's going on with the industry, we have helmet walkies, clean trucks, BC1000xl chipper and a few boom trucks. But no one responds to adds, indeed has been a waste of time, word of mouth is useless, it just seems like no one is looking for work. We've gone through our fair share of trash employees (apparently people love their illicit vices) but out of probably 30 people over 5 years, we have 2 good guys. From covid I've heard of multiple companies laying off half their staff. But where do these people disappear too? Is it different in Vancouver Canada then where you are? I'd love to hear responses. Lastly, if you are a climber that got laid off and is need work in my area, let me know.
I'd love to hear peoples experiences.

When you get laid off, the unemployment checks are the same as when your working so there isn’t much incentive to try to find work. There are NOW HIRING!! signs everywhere around my town and everyone I talk to says they can’t find people that want to work. My wife is in sales with hospitality, and you wouldn’t believe the number of people that requested to be laid off so they could get benefits.

Stacy you are the kind of employer most of us "clambers" have been trying to work for most of our careers. Honest work, honest pay. $30 doesn't get responses because of the entitlement mentality in our country today. There are good people out there, they are just harder ato find. I currently work for a co. in Birmingham and am training a very bright young college grad who I call "Mr. Fantastic" ; he impresses me every day, and after 40+ yrs in the trade that says a lot.

This is my first thread, but i'm just curious what people have experienced here. Our company is Central Valley Tree and Arborist Services. This company was started in 2001, but we took it over in 2015. My question is,
We've been good to our guys and are trying to get in front of what's going on with the industry, we have helmet walkies, clean trucks, BC1000xl chipper and a few boom trucks. But no one responds to adds, indeed has been a waste of time, word of mouth is useless, it just seems like no one is looking for work. We've gone through our fair share of trash employees (apparently people love their illicit vices) but out of probably 30 people over 5 years, we have 2 good guys. From covid I've heard of multiple companies laying off half their staff. But where do these people disappear too? Is it different in Vancouver Canada then where you are? I'd love to hear responses. Lastly, if you are a climber that got laid off and is need work in my area, let me know.
Id love to join your crew. My problem is transportation. Its so hard after a divorce and being left with no job and no vehicle to get to a new job reliability. I'm so good at what I do but can't get there to do it. Its very disheartening. I've bein working since I were 14 and at 32 now maybe missed 3 days of work

This is a serious response, not meant to be flip at all.
I think people are thinking the following:

Why would I work for someone when I just have to put an ad in the paper and I can just keep all the money for myself?

If I work 40 hours and someone pays for 40 hours of tree cutting, I want to keep ALL that money. I'm not going to give you a bunch of it just because you bought the equipment. I'm the one who risked my life and cut down the trees. I can buy equipment and start my own gig and build it up.

So I'm guessing that's why.

The answer to fixing it is, maybe you need to take on some partners rather than trying to hire workers. If I had a stake in the profits, I might be willing to work "WITH" you (i.e. not FOR you)

So maybe look into that.

I have a theory that people have, and are becoming more and more domesticated, and as a result, not too many want to do this work anymore (or aren't suited to do it). Where once we were wolves, now we're house pets.

And I agree that more money and benefits isn't necessarily the answer. You're still gonna get the same losers, weirdos and flakes. It's pretty much the same as it's always been though, just worse yet now. Persistence and finding that "needle in the haystack" is the only real solution. Then you have to retain them while visions of trucks and chippers dance in their heads. Lol.

If it sounds pretty hopeless, it's probably because it is (for the most part). Welcome to the tree service. But hey, everybody's gotta do something, right?

But on a serious note… if you are fortunate enough to find one of those special people, you need to keep it interesting for them. Good people need to feel like they’re learning and accomplishing things, need to see progress so they feel satisfied with their job. “Fun and interesting work” is still one of the major motivating factors for tree people.

Everyone doing manual labor is treated like a sub contractor now, no one works for anyone permanently. Eventually a business will be forced to either pay 400+ a day for a permanent good employee or sub out the work. The 2 man crews are everywhere here, they will do anything they can get their hands on from siding to tree removal and know how to quote 25% less than every legit business. Those covid checks bought a ton of pos trucks and tools for those who could never get above water and now they are operating on their own.

Yeah, it’s like that here. The new guys are on steroids between the ash borer and the Covid deal. That’s why older more established companies like myself are forced to step up. Nobody that’s been in this long enough to know better is sitting back and letting the new guys do their best to catch up to decades of hard work within a couple years. Not me, not on my watch. 77937617-E601-40B2-902E-786726B1C717.jpeg

Everyone doing manual labor is treated like a sub contractor now, no one works for anyone permanently. Eventually a business will be forced to either pay 400+ a day for a permanent good employee or sub out the work. The 2 man crews are everywhere here, they will do anything they can get their hands on from siding to tree removal and know how to quote 25% less than every legit business. Those covid checks bought a ton of pos trucks and tools for those who could never get above water and now they are operating on their own.
Boy you sure nailed it! They got tons of Fiat for nothing I been working hard for 4 decades and never got a handout. This **** pizzes me off!

I have a theory that people have, and are becoming more and more domesticated, and as a result, not too many want to do this work anymore (or aren't suited to do it). Where once we were wolves, now we're house pets.

And I agree that more money and benefits isn't necessarily the answer. You're still gonna get the same losers, weirdos and flakes. It's pretty much the same as it's always been though, just worse yet now. Persistence and finding that "needle in the haystack" is the only real solution. Then you have to retain them while visions of trucks and chippers dance in their heads. Lol.

If it sounds pretty hopeless, it's probably because it is (for the most part). Welcome to the tree service. But hey, everybody's gotta do something, right?
People are sick, and tired of the authoritarian ******** government. It's an overall general strike. Many realized that they are on a treadmill, making $800/ week, spending $500 / week on daycare, and 300 in taxes, then subtract transportation. Many lose money, and didn't even realize they are being run ragged to make nothing. I'm done. screw the ********, I will never work for anyone else ever again, unless I find an enjoyable job. If I come across an asshat for a boss, it will promptly be told to go do something to itself. I, personally, will NOT put up with anyone's BS ever again.

I don't have an answer to hiring good employees - I don't run a tree service with employees. I will say this: if a whole industry has paid their workers low pay, without benefits, the good workers move on to other industries. It's not your fault if you're a good employer, but you have to deal with it. However, to those of you criticizing people who are willing to work hard for taking a stimulus check, buying some gear, and starting a business: shame on you. Isn't what you did 10, 15, 20 years ago?

I don't have an answer to hiring good employees - I don't run a tree service with employees. I will say this: if a whole industry has paid their workers low pay, without benefits, the good workers move on to other industries. It's not your fault if you're a good employer, but you have to deal with it. However, to those of you criticizing people who are willing to work hard for taking a stimulus check, buying some gear, and starting a business: shame on you. Isn't what you did 10, 15, 20 years ago?
I never got anything of the kind always worked hard. Do you realize some of them got tens of thousands of dollars at a time?

I never got anything of the kind always worked hard. Do you realize some of them got tens of thousands of dollars at a time?
If the money was obtained legally from a source that was intended to help people get on with a better life, for example, starting a business, than why do you care? If they stink as a tree business, they will not be your competition in a couple years.

My issue is with large established companies criticizing smaller ones. I'll bet your company was small once, too. I have a small tree service. I do small jobs. I do it well - fully insured, professional customer interaction, clean and safe jobsite, etc.

Companies like yours can have all the big, hairy tree removals - I can't do it well, and that's not fair to the customer.

However, from a couple of the comments here I deduce some may drive past my jobsite and conclude I am a hack who took his stimulus money, bought some gear and started cutting trees. You don't know anything about me.

Perhaps the comments were directed at some person the writer had intimate knowledge of. Feel free to set me straight.

Perhaps some of you do not think smaller crews should be doing tree work - then say that, and let the discussion continue.

Back