Where do you buy your plants?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not clear at all. You said you raised tomatoes, pepers, cucumbers and and cabbage commercialy back in the 80's. You said you have bought 500 to 1000 plants from Evans in the past, That is past tense and doesnt tell anybody anything about what kind or how many you need today. You asked where can you buy plants. I just asked what kind and how many and you seem to have a hard time just giving a straight answer. You could have just said an amount and what kind and this conversation would have been over a couple of pages ago.
C'mon Mudd, you KNOW this boy Billy. He has no reason to be clear and concise, he needs the attention.
I can see reasonable conversation confuses you greatly. Sorry about your disability to comprehend, I hope you seek help.
If he had spilled hot grease on his brain, he would never have gone to the hospital. Again, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. The fact is, if he spent less time here, he would already have seeds up an inch or two from the time he started this thread. Apopka is only an hour from here, and its littered with nurseries growing starts...... But bare root? Not for table veggies I'm pretty sure, thats just asking for failure.

If our weather keeps up with being so mild we'll be planting pretty early this year bill.
I hope so. It just snowed here a few days ago, not much but a bit. Yesterday we still had some on the ground but today at noon it was 53 so it will be all gone. The temp is supposed to drop during the day and Thursday it is predicted to be colder and rain all day with steady falling temps. Friday night it is predicted to be in the teens with it not getting above freezing on Saturday.

On April 11, 1997 we got 12 inches of snow.. Folks had already planted corn and beans but they had not germinated so it was fine. Today March 15, is traditionally the day we would like to get oats and alfalfa seeded but that will not be happening anywhere close to me this year.

When we were still raising tomatoes and peppers for Heinz there were years when Grandpa and Dad had to burn tires in the fields in the evening to try to get a smoke cloud to settle and stave off a frost

C'mon Mudd, you KNOW this boy Billy. He has no reason to be clear and concise, he needs the attention.

If he had spilled hot grease on his brain, he would never have gone to the hospital. Again, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. The fact is, if he spent less time here, he would already have seeds up an inch or two from the time he started this thread. Apopka is only an hour from here, and its littered with nurseries growing starts...... But bare root? Not for table veggies I'm pretty sure, thats just asking for failure.

GeeVee,

Do you have anything to add here other than to make insulting comments? I would love to hear your knowledge on the subject but judging from the last part of your above post I am not sure you have any. Just how far from Tifton are you?

A couple of days of dry, but cold weather. March 15th is the best day to plant taters in the month of March this year, so I planted 6 rows, You still have a week of good tater planting time in case you didnt get them in the ground today. Doubled tilled the garden, which was still a little wet, Managed to bust up the mud clods well enough to plant, but I was starting to have my doubts.

GeeVee,

Do you have anything to add here other than to make insulting comments? I would love to hear your knowledge on the subject but judging from the last part of your above post I am not sure you have any. Just how far from Tifton are you?
Bare root for veggies dont get used down here. Apopka is a town known for its nurseries producing starts, lots of liner farms. I've got lots of experience having contract grown plants having been a Design Build Landscape company, particularly plants not commercially grown at ALL, for specific applications in the beach and dune environment for my Environmental Construction and Consullting company. Such as Cenchrus, aka Sandspurs, from tissue cultures for a project for a Condo in S FL, that was wanting to discourage homless camping in the undeveloped land they owned but hadn't built the next sets of towers yet, back in the 00's. Or Uniola Paniculata, or Sea Oats, for Dune Renourishment and revegetation, grown from seeds I had collected with permission from locations around the state, to have a seed bank of site specific plants to be ready for ACOE and DEP funded projects. Being Federally protected, it was a small hurdle, but a minimum two year project, and I still have the access and a grower using the rights every year. Sea Oats aren't grown as ornamentals, and are not container plants, on top of having very low germanation rates, less than 15%. Once they are ready to go in the ground from liners, your project better be ready, or you'll be tosiing them, they dont step up, and you cant keep them healthy. Or Railroad Vine, also from tissue cultures, and Blanket flower and Dune Sunflower. Queen Palms from Liners by the acre to be field grown, Sago Palm from seeds and stepped into containers, and of course- Saw Palmetto seed harvesting, which got exported for nutritional suppliments.

So, yes, I have plenty of experience growing. Growing things you know nothing about.

Tiftion GA is like 4, 4.5 hours away, FWIW, and why you mention it is pointless- though you might find some bareroot things there. I beleive its the site of the GA state Fairgrounds, and there are some state federal and University extension research farms there. If yoo're not into Popcorm, they got a lotta peanuts.....

Thanks for playing.....

Bare root for veggies dont get used down here. Apopka is a town known for its nurseries producing starts, lots of liner farms. I've got lots of experience having contract grown plants having been a Design Build Landscape company, particularly plants not commercially grown at ALL, for specific applications in the beach and dune environment for my Environmental Construction and Consullting company. Such as Cenchrus, aka Sandspurs, from tissue cultures for a project for a Condo in S FL, that was wanting to discourage homless camping in the undeveloped land they owned but hadn't built the next sets of towers yet, back in the 00's. Or Uniola Paniculata, or Sea Oats, for Dune Renourishment and revegetation, grown from seeds I had collected with permission from locations around the state, to have a seed bank of site specific plants to be ready for ACOE and DEP funded projects. Being Federally protected, it was a small hurdle, but a minimum two year project, and I still have the access and a grower using the rights every year. Sea Oats aren't grown as ornamentals, and are not container plants, on top of having very low germanation rates, less than 15%. Once they are ready to go in the ground from liners, your project better be ready, or you'll be tosiing them, they dont step up, and you cant keep them healthy. Or Railroad Vine, also from tissue cultures, and Blanket flower and Dune Sunflower. Queen Palms from Liners by the acre to be field grown, Sago Palm from seeds and stepped into containers, and of course- Saw Palmetto seed harvesting, which got exported for nutritional suppliments.

So, yes, I have plenty of experience growing. Growing things you know nothing about.

Tiftion GA is like 4, 4.5 hours away, FWIW, and why you mention it is pointless- though you might find some bareroot things there. I beleive its the site of the GA state Fairgrounds, and there are some state federal and University extension research farms there. If yoo're not into Popcorm, they got a lotta peanuts.....

Thanks for playing.....
I am not concerned about what is used down there. I live in Illinois. So do you have any experience with bare root vegetable plants because earlier you said this ?

But bare root? Not for table veggies I'm pretty sure, thats just asking for failure.
What do you mean by that statement?

Nope, I have no experience with Bare Root vegetable plants, because ITS TOO F'N HOT here to lose the Bare Root plants, and I am not a vegetable farmer. I did bring in a batch of Bare root ornamentals from a W. NJ nursery once to have grown out by a friend, but the gamble really didn't pay off. They had to be in a shade house, and it was a serious labor drain to get them to take in a tree cup tray.

I split the work with my favorite nursery guy to harvest and grow out a batch of Canary Island Date Palms from one of my clients properties and it was a good gig. My team harvested 30- 55g drums of fertilized Ovaries, and floated them for three weeks. We got maybe 2k to sprout, and stepping them into gallons we had 500 losses, another 250 lost at stepping into 5g, probably from rough handling. But over a thousand went into FG, and I sold a couple with every new design after a few years. He grew them out for ten years after I sold the business, and still had 300 with 5' of CT, and insisted on paying me when his nursery was bought in 2005 to be redeveloped as PUD, which is just now going to happen- he retired early, and the buyer lost his ass because the bubble burst.

Nope, I have no experience with Bare Root vegetable plants, because ITS TOO F'N HOT here to lose the Bare Root plants, and I am not a vegetable farmer. I did bring in a batch of Bare root ornamentals from a W. NJ nursery once to have grown out by a friend, but the gamble really didn't pay off. They had to be in a shade house, and it was a serious labor drain to get them to take in a tree cup tray.

I split the work with my favorite nursery guy to harvest and grow out a batch of Canary Island Date Palms from one of my clients properties and it was a good gig. My team harvested 30- 55g drums of fertilized Ovaries, and floated them for three weeks. We got maybe 2k to sprout, and stepping them into gallons we had 500 losses, another 250 lost at stepping into 5g, probably from rough handling. But over a thousand went into FG, and I sold a couple with every new design after a few years. He grew them out for ten years after I sold the business, and still had 300 with 5' of CT, and insisted on paying me when his nursery was bought in 2005 to be redeveloped as PUD, which is just now going to happen- he retired early, and the buyer lost his ass because the bubble burst.
Well if you have no experience with them then why did you comment .......
...... But bare root? Not for table veggies I'm pretty sure, thats just asking for failure.
I am not sure why someone with no experience in the subject would make such a comment.

Every year a nursery sets up shop at a field in town and brings all their growth they plan on selling. Depending on how quickly they sell items the price either goes up or down as the inventory dwindles. Its the best place on Cape Cod, MA to get plants and trees.

Every year a nursery sets up shop at a field in town and brings all their growth they plan on selling. Depending on how quickly they sell items the price either goes up or down as the inventory dwindles. Its the best place on Cape Cod, MA to get plants and trees.
I see you are in Falmouth MA. There is a great member from East Falmouth on this site. He has a great saw collection.

I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
About 15 years ago there was a US Axemen's Association event/race in Falmouth. I thought it was an odd place for it but I guess it was not. I do not think it ever returned. They had one here for a number of years but the dipstick that managed the site had no clue how to promote the event and the association told him to pound salt.

If our weather keeps up with being so mild we'll be planting pretty early this year bill.
Well there will be no planting of "taters" or anything else here. This picture is from today at 130 M. The dusting of snow from last night is melting off a bit in the sun but it is 27 and windy. Tonight it will be down to 15 and Saturday night 18. The 10 day forecast is for highs to get to 50 late next week.

March 17.JPG

Latest posts

Back