Where do you buy your plants?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daddyinlaw used to say the best time to plant taters is when the ground is ready. My dad once planted taters right at Christmas, and had a bumper crop. Last few years, I have sort of been following the signs and moon phases and that seems to work too. Just for info for those that dont know, Easter and Good Friday are based on moon phases and planet alingment and is why Easter falls on different days and even different months each year. https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/determining-easter-date.html
Well there is no way anyone would ever plant potatoes here on Christmas and have them grow.

My best buddy woke up this morning for breakfast, took a look at the thermometer and said, "daddy we aint planting no taters ta day"

100.JPG
101.JPG

Well there is no way anyone would ever plant potatoes here on Christmas and have them grow.
I aint so sure they wouldnt grow, might get bit a time or two. A few years ago, I didnt get all my taters harvested so they stayed in the ground all winter. When it became spring I had a whole row of taters coming up from that left over row. I just fertilized and hilled them in and they made taters, So I cant say planting at Christmas is optimal, but for certain it can work. Any ways, my taters are in the ground and in a few containers and I am done planting. I have tomatoes I will be transplanting out of their little planter cups this week into larger containers. They wont go outside until end of April. Last frost date is april 29th. I havent checked the calender, but corn, okra and peppers will go in after May 1st. I'll probably start a few more mater and pepper seeds just in the event I lose a few to a late frost. I can always give away extra plants.

I aint so sure they wouldnt grow, might get bit a time or two. A few years ago, I didnt get all my taters harvested so they stayed in the ground all winter. When it became spring I had a whole row of taters coming up from that left over row. I just fertilized and hilled them in and they made taters, So I cant say planting at Christmas is optimal, but for certain it can work. Any ways, my taters are in the ground and in a few containers and I am done planting. I have tomatoes I will be transplanting out of their little planter cups this week into larger containers. They wont go outside until end of April. Last frost date is april 29th. I havent checked the calender, but corn, okra and peppers will go in after May 1st. I'll probably start a few more mater and pepper seeds just in the event I lose a few to a late frost. I can always give away extra plants.
Well there was no taters going in today. I got up at 3:45AM this morning to get ready for work. This is what she looked like.

1.JPG

Then by 9AM there was a solid 6 inches of heavy wet snow. It warmed up and melted after bean time. This was tonight at around 6PM. Yeah I still like to act like a kid sometimes.........been years since I tried to lift a snowball. Them suckers got heavy......

2.JPG

Well there was no taters going in today. I got up at 3:45AM this morning to get ready for work. This is what she looked like.

View attachment 1069543
Did you miss my post about best time to plant taters being when the ground is ready? Now a real dedicated person would be out there polking holes in the ground thru the snow, and dropping taters in the hole. I havent met that dedicated person yet, but they are probably out there.

Did you miss my post about best time to plant taters being when the ground is ready? Now a real dedicated person would be out there polking holes in the ground thru the snow, and dropping taters in the hole. I havent met that dedicated person yet, but they are probably out there.
My post was humorous regarding our weather here. I guess I need to dress it up with more teenage emoji BS to illustrate the humor

Well I saw that post about planting on Christmas Day but it seems to be a bit odd. If it works for you GREAT but I doubt the ground is ready.......... :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

My post was humorous regarding our weather here. I guess I need to dress it up with more teenage emoji BS to illustrate the humor

Well I saw that post about planting on Christmas Day but it seems to be a bit odd. If it works for you GREAT but I doubt the ground is ready.......... :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
I guess you cant see the humor in my post either. Looks like your trying to start another argument over nothing, again.

No argument at all. Did you or others in your area plant taters on Christmas Day or not?
I said my dad planted taters one Christmas. Dad has been gone for 24 years, so no taters that I am aware of has been planted on Christmas since 1999. You plan to harp on Christmas plantings of taters? You do know when its cold and snowy in the north, some places are warm and sunny and are growing all kinds of veggies, including taters.

The planting time for potatoes in Florida depends on the region and the type of potato. In North and Central Florida, plant potatoes from January to April. In South Florida, plant them from October to January13. Plant regular potatoes like Yukon Gold, Red Pontiac, and Beaureguard in a spot that receives full sun

Today...well yesterday was tater planting day across the great USA. I hope you all got your taters in as they will thrive now being planted on tater planting day. Patience comes to those who wait and you will have a bountiful harvest. I hope all you fine folks enjoy your lamb on Sunday.. It will be a glorious day for all!!!!!

I wish all a great Easter.

Today...well yesterday was tater planting day across the great USA. I hope you all got your taters in as they will thrive now being planted on tater planting day. Patience comes to those who wait and you will have a bountiful harvest. I hope all you fine folks enjoy your lamb on Sunday.. It will be a glorious day for all!!!!!

I wish all a great Easter.
Yep, Mine are already up and producing and if you waited for Good Friday around here to plant, you had to plant in the rain.

Yep, Mine are already up and producing and if you waited for Good Friday around here to plant, you had to plant in the rain.
Well rain never stopped a working man in my area but I guess your area is different.........by the way it was 37F on Good Friday night here. It has warmed to 42F now ahead of the eastern sun

A chickens head isnt bigger than a Walnut, but even a chicken has enough sense to get out of the rain. We got 1.5 inches of rain on Friday. Try plowing in that.
Well why would you plow on planting day? That sounds like poor preparation. A man must be prepared and plan ahead.

Well why would you plow on planting day? That sounds like poor preparation. A man must be prepared and plan ahead.
Goes back to what I said eairlier, You plant when the ground is ready. My ground was ready March 14. those folks that waited until Good friday are now waiting for the ground to dry out. Nothing wrong with planting on Christmas day if you live in a area other than ECI. Funny you claim a man can plant in the rain, but you draw the line at planting in the snow.

Goes back to what I said eairlier, You plant when the ground is ready. My ground was ready March 14. those folks that waited until Good friday are now waiting for the ground to dry out. Nothing wrong with planting on Christmas day if you live in a area other than ECI. Funny you claim a man can plant in the rain, but you draw the line at planting in the snow.
Temperature

Latest posts

Back