ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

catbuster

catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Ok so a 3/4 ton truck puts more stress then a smart car.

However, its all relative 6000# on 4 wheels compared to 80000# on 18 wheels, who's tearing up more stuff at a considerably faster rate?

If you will please allow me to respectfully retort-the amount of passenger vehicle traffic is much more than commercial truck traffic, so much so that highways are designed using the unit of passenger cars/lane-mile. There are adjustments to that unit to account for truck traffic, yes, but as a rule passenger traffic far exceeds commercial trucks. Thus, in some areas high volumes (AADT) of heavy passenger vehicles will cause more damage to the roadway than truck traffic.

Though yes, on a per vehicle basis commercial trucks are more damaging to highways than passenger vehicles. Quad axle dump trucks (yours truly) are the worst on a per-vehicle basis, followed by the guys who move 110,000 lb class excavators on a 4 axle truck and 4 axle lowboy (also yours truly.) Fire trucks are also really bad, a Seagrave Meanstick quint is probably the worst example (yup, I run one of those too). 60,000 on two axles is… Bad. Just because the axles, tires & brakes can do it does not mean it’s a good design to take over the road.

I Six Days on the Road performed by Sawyer Brown was the best song that anything to do with truck driving. Convoy never did anything for me, and Eastbound & Down was pretty meh, even worse when anyone other than Jerry Reed did it. Oh geez, Alabame did Roll On 18 Wheeler too. Hmm… Still, Convoy’s not close to the top.

northmanlogging

northmanlogging

The gyppo's gyppo
Why you gots to be hating on da Semi's yo?
=)

Kristoffer Kristofferson is still alive, btw.
If not for WIkipedia, I wouldn't have had a clue how to spell his name, either.
Not hating on semi's, Hel I own 2-1/2 (the disservice truck is a smol one) and have owned 2 others.

My real dad was a long haul trucker, Mom drove dump/water truck as well as copilot with dad before us kids came along and got in the way. Swore I'd never go into it... Then I had trouble getting trucks to show up, and when they did it was $1000's for a few loads of rock, or waiting 2-3 weeks to get my machines moved, just got tired of it, and got my own.

Reactions: wyk
northmanlogging

northmanlogging

The gyppo's gyppo
If you will please allow me to respectfully retort-the amount of passenger vehicle traffic is much more than commercial truck traffic, so much so that highways are designed using the unit of passenger cars/lane-mile. There are adjustments to that unit to account for truck traffic, yes, but as a rule passenger traffic far exceeds commercial trucks. Thus, in some areas high volumes (AADT) of heavy passenger vehicles will cause more damage to the roadway than truck traffic.

Though yes, on a per vehicle basis commercial trucks are more damaging to highways than passenger vehicles. Quad axle dump trucks (yours truly) are the worst on a per-vehicle basis, followed by the guys who move 110,000 lb class excavators on a 4 axle truck and 4 axle lowboy (also yours truly.) Fire trucks are also really bad, a Seagrave Meanstick quint is probably the worst example (yup, I run one of those too). 60,000 on two axles is… Bad. Just because the axles, tires & brakes can do it does not mean it’s a good design to take over the road.

I Six Days on the Road performed by Sawyer Brown was the best song that anything to do with truck driving. Convoy never did anything for me, and Eastbound & Down was pretty meh, even worse when anyone other than Jerry Reed did it. Oh geez, Alabame did Roll On 18 Wheeler too. Hmm… Still, Convoy’s not close to the top.
Jerry Reed was a helluva geetar picker and song writer, and I kinda (really)despise country musak... Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins on one stage is a sight to see, mix Sir Les Paul in and your ears might catch on fire. (though if you can find it Mary Ford could keep up with Les note for note and sing better too) To Hel with the likes of VanHalen or dare I say Angus Young, them country pickers can play.