Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general in Europe, even in places like France, etc. the trees are smaller than we'll find in the PNW. But if any of you have visited Europe, you'll notice they do not build with as much wood as they do stateside. Most houses and buildings are mortar or steel. And they often use hardwoods in construction. Pine and larch usually find themselves in interiors, stairs, doors, cabinets, etc. Much of the forestry is for pulp, chippings, and furniture, too.
In Ireland, most logging is done with machinery. There are very few saw men outside of arborist/tree surgery work. Most sawmen in forestry work along side the harvester to get the trees in tight spots, or the large trees, and they would do the first few thinings(I've done a few myself). Because they mainly use machinery, they have to log the trees at a younger age.

These are the guys that did the work, and are about 20 mins from where I live in this video:

Forestry career propaganda:

Here is Dave Keith talking a bit about it in a Husky advert. He works mostly in Ireland, and helped me out when I went to the UK to do some work. He is 'outinthewoods' on a few forums, and is a regular on the arb talk UK forum.

Coillte(quill tshuh) is the state forestry department in Ireland. It is handled like a company, but is state owned. Coill means woods in Irish. I have dealt with them on occasion when doing my work in Waterford and Tipperary on the massive estates out there. They have a lot of state grant schemes to allow for different types of forestries. On the Waterford estate we are currently leasing 60 acres of land to Coillte(construction and pulp wood), and on the Tipperary one it is about 30 acres(for ash, which i have thinned once already). Most of the stuff I do is firewood, which requires much more land than forestry because we want the wood to mature and nearly die by itelf, and the estates I work also prefer to look more natural and beautiful. They only do a bit of forestry to pay their taxes, or avoid their taxes.:

https://www.teagasc.ie/crops/forest...rants/brief-overview-of-forestry-grant-rates/

171649270.XkIqWfL1.jpg

Yup, them lil 2 strokes can be amazing. I had a 60 hp CR500 that weighed 224lbs. Modify it and It would have been really insane. Mine had Boysen reeds & an FMF Knarly pipe. Imagine with nitrous or even better, nitro for drag racing.

The end is in sight, Spring is coming and Hope is in the air. [emoji3]

Just done porting a 365AT. Love how simple these older Husky's are to tear in to. Waiting to head back down to Waterford so I can test it in larger wood. The muffler on these here are very stuffed up. So I spent some time in there. Otherwise, just did what most folks I see hereabouts on the forums do. Added a few degrees to the xfers and intake, advanced the timing a touch, hogged out the exhaust a bit. Etc etc.

Wendell - I know Mitch has used and ported a few, so wondered have you tried any of the newer 565's or 572's? Did they get rid of the AT heat start issues? I wonder. Also - don't forget to put Hey, WYK! on the wall next time you are near your work station. Be cool to see it.

I hope everyone's doing OK? I am starting to feel a bit better myself:
So also turned out I was becoming diabetic. Last month I tested 18 on the blood sugar meter. That's literally off the scale(but I did have a huge lunch right before). I have since fasted, started a decent diet, and am now testing between 7-10(126-180). So got that back under control. Did a pair in the 6's after some exercise, too. I do feel a hell of a lot better. Still, they have me on pills for that as well. The worst part is having to take your blood test sticking a needle in your fingers when you have white finger. Very annoying.
Got the BP to 150/95. Started playing tennis again since they opened up the clubs. But I only play with one guy I know to keep my exposure down, or else I just hit the wall. On pills for this a well. Stopped eating all dairy and beef aside from occasional milk. My diet is a bit crazy at the moment compared to teh crap I used to eat, but I oddly do not feel hungry most days.
Got my first Pfizer shot Thursday. Still a bit sore from it. Hope this means at least I won't run the risk of making the MIL sick if I go out and about.
Sales still stagnant, but at least a few bars have gone out the door.

Off the pills now. Blowing between 5 and 7 on the old blood glucose meter. And haven't felt this good in years.
Considering buying a new saw, but I still dunno bout AT and Mtronic. Was leaning towards a 565 and porting it or an MS400 or 462 mebbe...

Just done porting a 365AT. Love how simple these older Husky's are to tear in to. Waiting to head back down to Waterford so I can test it in larger wood. The muffler on these here are very stuffed up. So I spent some time in there. Otherwise, just did what most folks I see hereabouts on the forums do. Added a few degrees to the xfers and intake, advanced the timing a touch, hogged out the exhaust a bit. Etc etc.

Wendell - I know Mitch has used and ported a few, so wondered have you tried any of the newer 565's or 572's? Did they get rid of the AT heat start issues? I wonder. Also - don't forget to put Hey, WYK! on the wall next time you are near your work station. Be cool to see it.
I haven't yet. Funny how when you go from burning 6-10 cord/year to less than one the saws don't get as much use. [emoji57]

I'll see what I can do.

Did they get rid of the AT heat start issues?
Yes! It was apparently the damn tank vent dumping into the intake. There's a retrofit plenum and filter kit that eliminates the problem and also fixes the air filter issues. They shoulda ironed that out before the originals hit the streets!

Yes! It was apparently the damn tank vent dumping into the intake. There's a retrofit plenum and filter kit that eliminates the problem and also fixes the air filter issues. They shoulda ironed that out before the originals hit the streets!

So, basically, for hot start problems you open the tank to vent it, and then pull for all you're worth with the throttle full open?

So, basically, for hot start problems you open the tank to vent it, and then pull for all you're worth with the throttle full open?
Never seemed to work before, not sure. When I get the time (just got in from a fire, pretty tired) I'll take pics. It's weird.

I am leaning towards getting a 562 mkii and porting it. A nice light all rounder, and much cheaper than the Stihls. Though the 565 is affordable(ish) here, I sort of need a saw that will work a 15inch bar as much as a 24 and not destroy a 50 year old man's back inthe process.

Porting a Husky 365XT:

The X-Torq mufflers here have a baffle in it that's straight forwards to remove.

171820038.pjjceijp.jpg

This is what it looks like removed before you stick the spinny thing in there and smooth it out:

171820040.2M5aJRY3.jpg

There's loads of room in the chassis to clear louvres, especially under the raised hood of an XT. If I can keep it simple and not have to fabricate or braze anything, I'm all for it. This mod makes it a three port:

171820039.qkd0VAKn.jpg

I must add I do love working on most Husqvarnas since they are very simply put together. Can't say it for the 562 or 550 since I haven't seen one yet, tho.

H1N1 didn’t cause healthy people to have ARDS or MODS. This does. People die from ARDS and MODS.

This is not something to take lightly. When we’re done, many, and I mean in the tens of thousands at least, will die from this. Disregarding it isn’t only putting yourself at risk, but also everyone in the general public.

Remember when you said it was gonna be tens of thousands?

:(

Back