Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this thing actually manage to fit in a parking spot in the town earlier today...

171925746.CgTvvQPC.f150.jpg

Saw this thing actually manage to fit in a parking spot in the town earlier today...

171925746.CgTvvQPC.f150.jpg
Those newer 1/2 ton trucks dwarf my ole 97 Dodge. We have a few guys with Toyota's like that at work. I can't even see my truck behind them. Kinda bad when a full size BT6 5spd truck with big Dana axles is made to look minscule. Well until you see what they have for an engine & axles. I guess looking tough is where it's at now? I guess I'm glad i'm a crusty, grouchy old fart now. We always thought of 1/2 tons as either sissy trucks, or parts runners.

Those newer 1/2 ton trucks dwarf my ole 97 Dodge. We have a few guys with Toyota's like that at work. I can't even see my truck behind them. Kinda bad when a full size BT6 5spd truck with big Dana axles is made to look minscule. Well until you see what they have for an engine & axles. I guess looking tough is where it's at now? I guess I'm glad i'm a crusty, grouchy old fart now. We always thought of 1/2 tons as either sissy trucks, or parts runners.
Pick up trucks have become a status symbol, much like corvets or BMW's from bygone era's, its not about the ability of the truck, but the appearance of being one who owns a truck and potentially does outdoors type things, like hauling a few bundles of firewood for the chimenea, or a bag of pellets for the patio smoker...

These same tools own dump trailers and haul everything in them rather then dirty up the precious status symbol.

Supposedly the worst part of the popularity of SUV's and Trucks is it runs down the roads much faster. The efficiency prolly isn't great, either.
Ah well, Muricaaaa!!!!
I'd have to call BS on that theory, beings as the roads are built to hold up semi trucks aka lorry's a 6k # pick em up truck taint got nuthin on an 80k Semi as far as tearing up roads.

As for "greenies" making the fad of pickups and SUV's go away, good. Its just a fad, the same people driving the price up on trucks will then follow the herd and drive the price farther up on electric cars. There will always be a need for trucks and offroad capable vehicles. Regardless if Yuppies think they make their junk look bigger or not. As for electric trucks, if they have an operating range and enough power and durability to compete with a Ford 3/4ton then thats good too, competition in an open and fair market is a good thing. (please note I didn't mention chevy or dodge in the same sentence as durability...)

I'd have to call BS on that theory, beings as the roads are built to hold up semi trucks aka lorry's a 6k # pick em up truck taint got nuthin on an 80k Semi as far as tearing up roads.

As for "greenies" making the fad of pickups and SUV's go away, good. Its just a fad, the same people driving the price up on trucks will then follow the herd and drive the price farther up on electric cars. There will always be a need for trucks and offroad capable vehicles. Regardless if Yuppies think they make their junk look bigger or not. As for electric trucks, if they have an operating range and enough power and durability to compete with a Ford 3/4ton then thats good too, competition in an open and fair market is a good thing. (please note I didn't mention chevy or dodge in the same sentence as durability...)

Ah hey now. I dunno about it being a BS theory. Regardless of how the roads are built, more wear is more wear. It's just simple physics. That part is difficult to argue against. You could argue the roads last just as long as they always have, but you can't argue they won't last longer with less wear. Having said it, many SUV's weigh nearly a ton more than your average Cadillac did in the 70's.
1970 Cadillac Deville - 4,650lbs
2021 XLT 4dr 4x4 Ford Explorer - 6,200 lbs

Wow, that stat is a bit alarming even to me. Man, I miss my Cadillac.

It's no secret less would be more as far as the environment is concerned. I try to do my bit, which is admittedly easy because I am cheap and poor.
However, I don't see it ever reaching equilibrium. I think it's far too late. We're on the ride now wherever it wants to take us. No amount of greening it up is gonna slow China, India, the US, et al from polluting wholesale.
India is especially stunning how many hydrocarbons they pump into the air. And they are still only just cresting into proper 1st world status.
At least I got to breath some clean air in my lifetime...Well, aside from all those days I spent in L.A.
*cough*

The good news is Ireland wins the global warming race until it really gets out of hand and the Atlantic flow stops. So the ride from here til then isn't too bad, I guess... :(
Warming or no, every year here seems more dry and warmer than the last. Which is OK with me, I lived most of my life in TX and CA. The wife isn't impressed, though.

Civil engineer here, albeit mostly an dirt shoving manager right now, but repetitive stress is what damages pavement and base courses on roadways. Stress is F/A. Most 7500 pound half-tons don’t really have much more tire area on the road than a Ford Focus that weighs 40% of that. Und zo, yeah, they input more repetitive stress than smaller vehicles.

My personal opinion is that there’s not any reason for anytning between something like a Danger Ranger or Tacoma/Hilux and a 3/4 ton. No 1/2 tons, no big SUVs, yada. An SUV should be something that can go off the road without any problem. “Crossovers” have no purpose. Minivans? Ha.

Just go sedan-hatchback/station wagon-small 4x4s-3/4 ton on up. That eliminates most popular vehicles stateside. The aforementioned, of course, caused Ford to cease production of cars. Which is a shame, my Focus is a nice little vehicle to tool around town or go cross-country in by virtue of being a pretty nice place to be and being good on fuel. I just don’t get it. To quote Denis Leary-“I missed the boat. The boat left and I wasn’t on it.”

Climate issues… I grit my teeth and try not to kick some people in the teeth. These are the same people will tell you that facts don’t care about my feelings but will happily deny science that’s been accepted as fact for years because it’s inconvenient for them. We’re riding the train now, so I guess we’ll see how inconvenient it’ll become.

Ok so a 3/4 ton truck puts more stress then a smart car.

However, its all relative 6000# on 4 wheels compared to 80000# on 18 wheels, who's tearing up more stuff at a considerably faster rate?

Why you gots to be hating on da Semi's yo?
=)

Kristoffer Kristofferson is still alive, btw.
If not for WIkipedia, I wouldn't have had a clue how to spell his name, either.

Back